Rookie Dane Richards Impresses in Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Dane Richards Impresses in Camp

<DIV id=story_content><H1>Rookie Dane Richards Impresses in Camp</H1><H2>Richards played at Clemson in 2005 and 2006.</H2>

By Stephen Zaffuto / NewYorkRedBulls.com

For many young soccer players, the first season as a professional can be a difficult transition. After being the stars of their former teams and leagues, many draft picks have a tough time adjusting to the speed, skill and overall quality of play in the MLS.

However, for some rookies this transition comes much more easily, as in the case of Dane Richards, the Red Bulls' second round selection (19th overall) in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft.

"It's not easy for some players. It takes longer to pan out sometimes and other guys just get straight into it, but he's done a good job," said Red Bulls assistant coach John Harkes. "We have no qualms about him at all right now. He's been doing well."

But saying that Richards is just "doing well" so far seems to be a huge understatement. In the team's first preseason camp in Bradenton, Fla., Richards was able to score a goal in each of the Red Bulls' first two scrimmages against the U.S. U-17 national team and the Kansas City Wizards. He was lauded for his performance against the Galaxy on Saturday after nearly scoring his third goal of the preseason and assisting on two others.

"He is very fast," said second year midfielder Elie Ikangu as Richards motored down the sideline, closing down a through-ball during training last week. "Very fast."

Speed. Pace. Call it what you will, but one thing is for sure: Richards has a lot of it. While it is perhaps his most impressive quality, he has done well to show that it is not his only area of strength.

"One thing I think that he provides for us is not just that pace down the wing, but the kind of service he puts in there with the crosses -- that's important to us," Harkes said. "You've got to be able to have good quality service in the final third and I think Dane Richards has done a fine job." <BR clear=left>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV class=fivevert></DIV>
    <DIV class=fivevert></DIV></TD><TD width=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As far as what position on the field you will see the young Jamaican patrolling this year, the issue seems to be settled. While he was able to score 23 goals in two seasons while playing forward at Clemson and may tempt the club to utilize his versatility there, Harkes revealed, "for us, he's more of a right-sided cover player right now."

Richards supported Harkes' view, stating, "I'll be playing wide right, getting behind the defense, crossing the ball and scoring goals."

The projected starter in the right midfield slot, Markus Schopp, is currently recovering from a strained groin/hip flexor that may keep him out of action for much of the Los Angeles trip. This could give Richards more time on the field with the first team during their four scrimmages at The Home Depot Center, with the Red Bulls training in California until March 16.

"When opportunity comes, I just need to take it and do my best," Richards said. "I hope Markus Schopp gets well soon, but if the opportunity rises for me, I'll just do my best." </DIV>
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Rookie Dane Richards Impresses in Camp

Good to hear! I wonder if he is in Bora's plans for the upcoming friendlies against Switzerland and Panama?

BTW, anyone hear anything on a roster for the Switzseland game yet?
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla (3/16/2007)Good to hear! I wonder if he is in Bora's plans for the upcoming friendlies against Switzerland and Panama?

It would be tough for him with guys like Jermaine Johnson and Jamal Campbell Ryce ahead of him. Maybe if he can have a good year with that blackhole of a franchise the Red Bulls he can work his way in.Alas we know what happens to every talented playerwho goes to the Red Bulls...they immediately start sucking.- T.K.

Comment

Tilla (3/16/2007)Good to hear! I wonder if he is in Bora's plans for the upcoming friendlies against Switzerland and Panama?

Re: Possible roster

Homepage: http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/articles...amp;category=1
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<DIV>Is there any player ahead of any other? With Bora, the slate is pretty much clean (not really, but as clean as it can get).</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>In any case, Bora has been focusing on local players thus far, so these overseas players might not be getting a look any time soon. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Is that a good thing, or should he be calling in some fariners to start the gelling process?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/16/2007)<DIV></DIV><DIV>In any case, Bora has been focusing on local players thus far, so these overseas players might not be getting a look any time soon. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Is that a good thing, or should he be calling in some fariners to start the gelling process?</DIV><DIV>
            </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Okay, scratch that! Apparently, Gardner and Shelton will be here for the Panama game, so...</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/16/2007)<DIV>Is there any player ahead of any other? With Bora, the slate is pretty much clean (not really, but as clean as it can get).</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>In any case, Bora has been focusing on local players thus far, so these overseas players might not be getting a look any time soon. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Is that a good thing, or should he be calling in some fariners to start the gelling process?</DIV>
              Well I guess no player is ahead of any other at this point. I just figure since right now JJ and JC are proven commodities (sp?) for the national teamand still playing at a high level for their clubs that everyone else is looking from the outside in.

The year right after the world cup is the perfect time to focus on the local contingent. You know that yourplayersoverseas are fine with their development so you can leave them alone for now. They are getting great coaching in a competitive environment.As for gelling I don't think we need that until we touch the semi-final round of qualifying. I really think that if we had qualified for theGold Cup this time around we would have been a real dark horse to upset, what is considered by many,the "destined" US/Mex final.

I know money is an issue butit would be greatif we could starttravelling to the home venues of some of the lower level European teams and get some competitive matches against teams that will challenge our ability to organize on the field. Games against teams like Finland, Iceland,Austria and Israel would be just what the doctor ordered for our team. - T.K.

Comment

Working...
              X