Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Up with Robin Fraser

<DIV class=subheader>Catching Up with Robin Fraser</DIV>By Sahar Milani

Easily one of the best defenders that MLS has ever seen, Robin Fraser ended his MLS season in 2005 as one of only two players to win the MLS Defender of the Year award on two occasions.

Having played for the Galaxy, Crew and Rapids, Fraser was named to the MLS Best XI five times during his 10-year MLS career. The speedy centerback started out with the Galaxy, where he won his first MLS Defender of the Year award, and helped the club reach the 1999 MLS Cup Final. He was later traded to the Rapids, where he played three seasons before being traded again to the Columbus Crew.

In 2004, after many observers had said he was on his last legs, Fraser played one of his best seasons as a professional at the age of 37 and won his second Defender of the Year award for the Supporters' Shield winners.

Although born in Jamaica, Fraser decided to play for the US National Team, and went on to earn 37 caps over a 13-year span from 1988-2001. One of his international highlights was helping Bruce Arena's squad win a bronze medal during the 1999 Confederations Cup in Mexico.

USSoccerPlayers recently caught up with Fraser to talk about his decision so long ago to play for the US, his retirement, and his budding career as a commentator.

USSoccerPlayers: You were born in Jamaica, so why choose to play for the US way back in 1988?

Fraser: When I was 18, I went down to Jamaica to tryout for their youth National Team. I was told that they weren't interested. Two years later I was on the full US National Team. So, I had attempted to play for Jamaica, but apparently wasn't good enough.

USSoccerPlayers: How have you seen MLS change over the past 12 years?

Fraser: MLS has gotten younger and younger. For a league that doesn't want to be seen as a developmental league, they keep ushering experienced players out the door, in favor of younger players. As a result, the League doesn't have as many six-to-seven year pros as it once did, which helped make the decision making on a whole lot better. The average American is probably a better player, but the foreigners are not the difference-makers they used to be.

USSoccerPlayers: What do you think its takes now for a player to "make it" in the League?

Fraser: It depends on what you mean when you say, "make it". To get into the League, you just have to be young with potential. To make it as a long lasting professional, you have to be smart, not just athletic. The thinking player, who can read the game defensively, and make good decisions that keep the possession, are the types of players that remain in the game for a long time.

USSoccerPlayers: Last year was your first season not playing. Was it weird to just watch games?

Fraser: No, it really wasn't weird. I am 40 now, so I have done it for a long time. I knew it had to end someday, so I tried to prepare myself for that day. It was weirder waking up and not having to go to training. When that is what you have done for almost 17 years, that is what you are accustomed to.

USSoccerPlayers: You are coaching youth players now I see. Was the transition from player to coach an easy one for you?

Fraser: The transition has been easy, because I did so much coaching while I was playing. The challenges that I have occurred have not had as much to do with the soccer, as it has dealing with the people that I now have to on a daily basis.

USSoccerPlayers: What kind of advice do you give the kids that you work with?

Fraser: I try to get them to think the game. So many young players go through their whole youth careers getting away with some god-given talents. I know that just because you are fast, have good skill, does not mean that you will be able to play at the next level. If you can think and push yourself out of your comfort zone, then you give yourself a chance.

[B]USSocc
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Catching Up with Robin Fraser

This guy could in the future make for a very good addition to a Jamaican coaching staff or even coach a youth national team. Hopefully we can keep tabs on his progressthrough the years and see if he develops as well as a coach as he did as player. Btw who was the Jamaican youth coach that could not identify someone as talented as Robin Fraser? Wow. - T.K.

Comment

Fraser: When I was 18, I went down to Jamaica to tryout for their youth National Team. I was told that they weren't interested. Two years later I was on the full US National Team. So, I had attempted to play for Jamaica, but apparently wasn't good enough

With the abundance of talent and 25 Fredys he have been a surplus.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yow TK welcome back sah! Weh yuh did deh? How was the Brazil trip? Weh de pichas dem deh?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Jangle (3/16/2007)Yow TK welcome back sah! Weh yuh did deh? How was the Brazil trip? Weh de pichas dem deh?
          Jangle I don't leave for Brazil until May breds! As for pictures I might have to pull a Scaly and keep those on the DL. - T.K.

Comment

Lazie (3/16/2007)
            Fraser: When I was 18, I went down to Jamaica to tryout for their youth National Team. I was told that they weren't interested. Two years later I was on the full US National Team. So, I had attempted to play for Jamaica, but apparently wasn't good enough

With the abundance of talent and 25 Fredys he have been a surplus.
            LOL.....No serious man. I just want to know the name of the coach who looked Robin Fraser in the eye andtold him he was not good enough to make the team. That is real funny. - T.K.

Comment

TK: This article brings to mind someting that I have been reluctant to say before today.

There are some of us here and there are, I think, many of our coaches who do not recognise that talent abounds. The members here who do not recognise talent abounds, I think, arenot recognisingqualities that players need to be described as talented. I also believe many of our coaches 'not knowing the game' fall into the category of those whotoo often choosethe less talented player to retain. I am thinking if it where not so, how is it so many of our players 'go the route' of years of playing anti-TEAM...the simple obvious playing of TEAM is overlooked...not considered...not deemed important....most important?How could this be?That is where thinking through situations/finding solutionsrelated to play...related to retention of possession...realising TEAM aim/goal is paramont.That is where thesimple matter of advancing on's selfish goal of enhancing careers can be fostered. (How the hell can you showcaseskills...including 'thinking skills'...if the TEAM does not advance and keep self 'front and center'...command best 'shelf space'in the marketplace?What is the point of 'popping and bruking' in CFU when 'your wares' could be on display in the FIFA World Championships or other prominent 'shelves' in the world's marketplace?)

Yup! ...the matter of TEAM...the thinking player...the talent that recognises that before all else TEAM opens doors and bring successesis too often being kept out of our football - not encouraged...ignored...passed over...overlooked...not recognised...

...too many of our talents...abundant talents are dissuaded from playing the game...and those few that are retained are encouraged to 'kill their talent'...by being encouraged to play in a silly manner because that's what has too many of our coaches and spectators raving.

Talent abounds but not too many of us appreciate it!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I agree Karl we have tremendous talent in Jamaica when it comes to football. Unfortunately talent is not enough to playteam football.It has to be trained. If it is not trained then you will simply not have team. That is wherecoaching comes in. I agree with everything you say about the benifits of playing team ball.- T.K.

Comment

talent abounds? Karl must have a different dictionary from me.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (3/16/2007)talent abounds? Karl must have a different dictionary from me.
                    I agree with that Lazie. There is alot of talent in Jamaica.I just don't think we're 1. identifyingthem well enough and 2. providingthem with the tools to succede at thenext level. - T.K.

Comment

Not saying talent doesn't exist, just the word abundance. Unless unuh have a different meaning of the word from me.

Comment

Lazie (3/16/2007)Not saying talent doesn't exist, just the word abundance. Unless unuh have a different meaning of the word from me.
                        To be fair I don't think we can ever know if it is an abundance as we don't have a real system for getting players from the NPL to Europe.Some teams havecreated a good system on their ownfor doing it(God Bless the View) but not enough. If we really had an NPL whosefocus wasmore ondeveloping the young playerto move them to the next levelit is my opinion that we would be producing world class players. I do believe that for us to unearth our "abundant" talent the NPL has to look at itself as a development league. - T.K.

Comment

I think the confusion regarding his not being good enough can be cleared up by researching his High School pedigree..

He might have attended a cerebral institute which probably decreased his eligibility..

Comment

Working...
                          X