The US ODP program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US ODP program

A few years ago I said the US ODP program would be a better way for us to develop our youngsters and get the best talent without costing too much. Take a look at.

The coaches from the region come as a unit and pick their best players with the help of the JFF. The best players meet every so often with top coaches and work on their skills. We could have say the top 50(same age group) players in Eastern Jamaica meeting at least 2 twice a month, with JFF approved coaches, Same for Western Jamaica, Central Ja and Kingston.

Study their weaknesses and strenght and let them know what to do and what is expected of them. Have the different regions compete against each and we could also have a team of youngster from overseas who are interested to play a few games as well. From this pool would come our team.

This is much better in my opinion than what we currently have in calling a few kids to kingston to look at them one or two weekends.

Some advantages are the team is not picked on the word or the likeness of one coacn.

Coaches get to work with the player long before they are called and players get the advantage of the best coaches we have.

The kids are looked at over time and their improvement can be judged.

It cost less than running an academic structure on a long term basis.

While you still have some politics in ODP program I think it is much better than what we currently have now and it would give us a better chance of choose the best player and sharing philosopy and coaching around the island.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Sass Ja is badly in need of an academy or source it out to a country that has years of experience in developing the young.

Give you an example: One of the kids that play on the travel team I practice with, told me something of interest. I asked him if he started for his team, he said no. I asked why. He said his team was very good because the won the (won't say which because I don't want to give away the school's name) championship. I said so what, you should start. You are not working hard. He said seven of the players were from an academy. I said how could that be and they don't attend the school. He said they now changed the rules and said no one from an academy can play. you have to attend the school.

Moral of the story: there is a huge gulf between academy and high school football.

Comment

yep. Rule change. The US have now what is called Elite Academies and the better players who are serious play for the these clubs. As you say we have so much to learn.

Even in Dcup for example, the wining coach pick the all star team, you think he has seen half the players in Dcup?? Why not pick a group of coaches from different regions. When you play for college in the US, a coach other than yours have to nominate you and the panel votes on it for you be considered All-state, All Region/ all American. We have a lot to learn.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass, we can finally agree on something. As Paul Marin rightly said, having the right system in place is more important to our development than having ONE physical structure called an Academy.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Well our biggest disagreement come from the fact that as someone who played who played a few games, and captain a few of them I know how one and one match up is on the field. It nuh matter how good your stats is or how good your rank is I am going to try to beat you. I can remember us playing the number 1 ranked team in division 2 in the US and we were ranked about 60 at the time. I defended for dear life all day and my goalie made some good saves. We got 2 chanes and the game ended 2-1.

Stats help in preparation but I leave it there. The one on one match up, the first few minutes feeling out your opponent strenght and deciding if you can impose your game on them is VERY important, if you can't then what is plan B? and know things like where is their weakspot and who can take advantage of this.

Afhter the game you can compile all the stats you want and judge me then.

Comment

The kid told me some of his team mates were MLS prospects. Ja has to tackle the problem of high school football developing her football talent.

Comment

a system such as manning cup and dcup?

Comment

Working...
              X