UEFAs equivalent to the EPL 39th match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFAs equivalent to the EPL 39th match

Remember the 39th match idea suggested for the EPL; Well seems like Platini and Co want tek things even further and have nations playing their Euro 2020 matches across different european countries. No mention about the likely increases in the carbon fuel, green house gas emmissions produced by travelling fans i notice but hey, in such harsh current economic times, what does that matter.

Michel Platini believes Euro 2020 could be held in as many as 12 or 13 cities across Europe.

The UEFA president presented the idea at a press conference on Saturday and claims the proposal has the support of the majority of UEFA's executive committee.

He said: "This matter will be discussed very seriously. We will have a great debate about 2020 and discuss the pros and cons.

"Then we will make a decision. I think it is a great idea."

The idea is bound to generate controversy as it would vastly increase the distances between stadiums and therefore the costs of attending the tournament for fans.

Turkey were the first to announce that they would be launching a bid for the tournament, with joint bids between Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland and later Azerbaijan and Georgia also confirmed.

Platini also repeated his opposition to goal-line technology.

He added: "I am against technology . Where do we stop? There was a mistake in the Ukraine-England game but there was an offside before that."

UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino said the controversial additional referees behind the goal would remain and also cited Ukraine's effort against England as the only error.

"There was full support for the system of additional referees to continue," he said.

"The experiment has been extremely positive. In over a thousand matches, there has been one mistake."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ro-2020-946429

What effing nonsense... I want the proof that "in over a thousand matches there has only been one mistake"... why can't technology be used to also check offside? in the example that Platini gave, if it is true there was a missed offside THAT is a mistake and he knew probably because he watched a replay, in which case why not use it(the replay) to adjudge whether the ensuing goal should stand or not? Platini and dem full of shyte...

And even if ONE mistake that could be very crucial to a team's aspirations can be rectified, why not use what we have?.. the slo mo replay already can fix some of the problems...
    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
      What effing nonsense... I want the proof that "in over a thousand matches there has only been one mistake"... why can't technology be used to also check offside? in the example that Platini gave, if it is true there was a missed offside THAT is a mistake and he knew probably because he watched a replay, in which case why not use it(the replay) to adjudge whether the ensuing goal should stand or not? Platini and dem full of shyte...

And even if ONE mistake that could be very crucial to a team's aspirations can be rectified, why not use what we have?.. the slo mo replay already can fix some of the problems...
      I suppose the Platini & the anti intro of technology into football lobby would argue about the time taken to review any given situation and how that could affect games. And where would you stop - if at all - with introducing technology into the game.

Comment

Working...
      X