No announcement yet.

Style versus substance a brief retread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style versus substance a brief retread!

What is it about style that totally engages us to the point of distraction, losing perspective of what is most critical. Is it a fundamental weakness in the psyche that is quicker to accept the ginnal character over the regular, straightforward some say boring personality.what is it that so warps the mind that even with clear insurmountable evidence of substance trumping style that there is a never ending debate on the stylist over the baller that brings the results. I submit to you all this last Rspl season, even though we do nt have all the stats, that Michael Campbell would be my choice over every other midfielder, every time, however Campbell is not even in the argument,hon other mids has as many goals and I dont know how many assists as it seems we don't count that critical stat in the Rspl and Campbell scores 10 goals out of a mid position and nobody is even talking about him.

What gives, it is totally out of whack with reality, I am not putting down anyone else but I am putting up Campbell, how can the MVP of our league be an also ran, nobody, we are denigrating the very basis of our own football culture. From what I hear it seems Campbell has almost the same amount of assists as goals, if that is the case then we are talking about a player that is contributing a goal producing event for his team at greater than 50 percent of the time a very high rate in the Rspl, if we ourselves don't measure these things we really cannot measure apples to apples.

It s time that we really start really holding our players accountable for results on the field in every local tournament, if you can't do it in the corner league or the major eagle or in the Rspl how the hell you going to do it in the elo, the mls, the championship or the epl, All the great players dominate play at every level they play, so if guys playing on the national team cannot dominate in the Rspl why are we even talking about them. I see a number of young players playing for the senior team that don't even have 4 goals in the Rspl, I am not sure what they are being judged on to make anyone think they can make the jump from manning cup r dacosta cup straight to the national team with little results at the Rspl level and then expect them to produce when they have not even had a chance to develop their craft.

Again what is it about our MVP of our Rspl who has shown a consistent ability to get results, shows leadership why no one even wants to talk about this, it makes no sense, again the dominance Of style over substance dominates our football culture how do we get to a place where performance over a season is the critical factor in choice of local players for national duty. Substance over style!!!

One question. You said that between his 10 goals and "almost as many assist" he contributes 50% of his teams' goals, how many goals did his team score?

Mind you I am not disputing g that he deserves a call up, I am just seeking some clarity

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Good question!
      I also would like those stats for our NPL teams (RSNL teams).

...however, Stonigut's basic point of results demanding selection is valid!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

what is this RSPL you keep talking about ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
          what is this RSPL you keep talking about ?
          That one I know RSPL = Red Stripe Premier League!!! ...di sponsor dem of our NPL (National Premier League) change so offen that I prefer using NPL to RSPL.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sorry gamma that is not what I was saying, what I was focusing on is his 10 goals and possibly as many assists equals about 20 goal producing events and he played in about 37 games, which means he is contributing a goal producing event for his team at a 55 percent level every game which is great in the npl/Rspl. All the greatest players actual produce at greater than 100 percent, so like messi he has 50 goals and 12 assists in 38 games that means he is contributing a goal producing event at greater than 120 percent per game which is just ridiculously good and in la liga, even more ridiculous, he s truly great!!!

Comment

Working...
            X