• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bibi recalls euphoria of France 98

‘Bibi’ recalls euphoria of France ’98
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Monday, June 11, 2012

THOUGH 15 years have gone by since that magical day in Kingston, Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner remembers the electrifying occasion as if it happened only yesterday.

Ricardo Gardner as he arrived at the National Stadium for Friday night’s CONCACAF Group A World Cup qualifying match between the Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz and Guatemala. Jamaica won 2-1. (Photos: Garfield Robinson)
    1/2

So intense was Jamaica's qualification to the France 1998 World Cup on that November day the previous year, that no one —
    player, spectator or coach — will ever forget it.

The atmosphere inside the National Stadium when Jamaica's Reggae Boyz got the required point against Mexico to earn their place in the history books was so momentous that every person who shared the occasion, got a precious memory gem to serve a lifetime.

"Words can't even explain how special it was... looking back I wouldn't even say it was a dream because we didn't even dream of playing in the World Cup based on where the football was in Jamaica at the time," said Gardner, the youngest player on technical director Rene Simoes' World Cup-bound team.

"At that moment when I realised that we had qualified for the World Cup, a cold, strange feeling just ran through my body; it's a feeling that I can't even fully explain, but it was something good," the 33-year-old told the Jamaica Observer in Kingston
    on Wednesday.

But actually boarding the plane and arriving in France, is where Gardner actually pinched himself and asked: "Am I dreaming, is this real?" It was.

But it was indeed a long journey, with many twists and turns, but which ultimately culminated in success. A success shared by all— player, coach, administrator and the Jamaican people. It created new bonds, some unbreakable to this day.

"The mood was great in the camp and one that we will always remember... we were like one family after we had come from so far as we stuck together through thick and thin and we were just happy to want to go out there and make our country proud, and it was just so great to know we were going to play in one of the world's greatest sporting events," Gardner recalled.

Even though his hugely successful career as a professional player has been put on hold by a serious knee injury, the former Bolton Wanderers star still clings to the hope of experiencing again the thrill of France 1998.

"It was a special atmosphere and one that I would like to be in again, just to be there in front of a packed stadium and having the whole world watching you," said the former Harbour View man, who went straight to Bolton after his impressive display at the World Cup, a move which earned the east Kingston club £1 million.

A free agent these days after his contract ran out with Bolton, who were relegated from the Premiership to the Championship this season, Gardner says he has not called time on his international career as he thinks there is a lot more left in him.

"Once I'm over my injury, which I think I'm overcoming now, and get fit again, I will be ready if called upon as I always love playing for my country," said the left-sided player who had 400 games over a 14-year spell for Bolton, making him the second longest serving foreign player in English Premiership history, second only to teammate, goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

While long-serving Bolton manager Sam Allardyce was an influential figure in his budding career, Gardner says no one has impacted his football life more than the Brazilian Rene Simoes, viewed at one time to be Jamaica's football Messiah.

"He was a great influence and without him I don't think I would be who I am today... it's good that God sent him here to play that special part as with him I have learnt so much, especially how to be patient as I've always wanted to be playing.

"He knew exactly when to put me into a game, have me watching from the bench or watching from the stands. He taught me so many things in my life of football and he's one of the greatest things that happened to my life in football.

"He came and he and Captain (Horace Burrell) made that chemistry and gave us that belief that it is possible (to go to the World Cup)," Gardner added.

With Jamaica getting their Brazil 2014 qualifying campaign off on a winning note in a 2-1 victory at 'The Office' against Guatemala on Friday night, Gardner has a bit of advice for the players who will continue the Jamaican World Cup legacy.

"They (players) have to realise it's not only about talent, and here in Jamaica there is so much talent and I can see so many players that have more talent than what I have, but it's hard work and dedication, and sometimes you have to make sacrifice and keep believing in what you believe, be humble and keep close to God and He will do the rest," said Gardner, who is capped some 109 times for Jamaica.

Gardner, a France 1998 teammate of coach Theodore Whitmore, said he hopes for the best on the 'Mission to Rio' campaign.

"I wish him (Whitmore) all the best in the campaign and hope he can get everybody in the squad together and by winning games, we can get the spectators behind us," he ended.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1xWBni1IE
    Last edited by Karl; June 11, 2012, 05:04 PM.
Working...
X