Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it about football......

...that attract us to it?
    You have SOOOO many other different games and sports equally demanding and competative but i sometimes have to wonder just what is it about this game that generates so much of a following worldwide and as a by-product media attention.
    Think about it; you have sports like boxing which requires strength, stamina, courage, skill. You have very competative and demanding sports on the track and field like Sprinting, high jump, cycling, pole vault which again requires and demand phenomenal human efforts; Or you have games such as tennis, squash, rugby, hockey, baseball etc that again demands men/women to perform extreme physical and mental exertions and endurance. But out of all the sports mentioned, football seems to rule the roost. I dont know whether it just marketing, or it to do with something thats unknown, primevil or inherent, but so how, a game that (lets be frank) involves 22 participants, running around on a pitch, trying to kick a round ball of air between two sticks really gets to us.
    So just WHAT IS IT!!?

That is it! 22 players even if many not Fully involved, the chance and possibility of being involved is very high, it is very engaging even when you are not on the ball, I always got great satisfaction in shutting down my side of the field when playing left back, bically saying there is no advantage to be had here on this side of the field so don't bother playing no ball over here, I always got great satisfaction in playing hard and using my advantages of size, strength and speed with a little skill fully to my advantage.

I also remember when first going to Calabar and coming from a school where we played nothing at all, as it was a tiny school, the amazing and incredible vibe of playing ball after school from 1:45 to dusk was probably just the best time of my life, totally unstructured ball, with Nuff class mates all playing for bragging and ragging rights for the next day, who got Bruk, who got shifted out of them shoes, who got salad, who got kicked down like a little softie etc etc. The one thing that was not cool however was the first couple times I played coming back with black and brown shoe polish on my khakis and my mother being very unhappy about that, started carry shorts after that.

Comment

Krabbit Soccer at Long Island?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yeah, you know the first place we used to play was at the 33 bus stop, just behind the wall, then Nuff real krabbit soccer at the old abandoned art room by the little fields. Yeah those were the days man, if we only had the players I could stll play everyday right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
          That is it! 22 players even if many not Fully involved, the chance and possibility of being involved is very high, it is very engaging even when you are not on the ball, I always got great satisfaction in shutting down my side of the field when playing left back, bically saying there is no advantage to be had here on this side of the field so don't bother playing no ball over here, I always got great satisfaction in playing hard and using my advantages of size, strength and speed with a little skill fully to my advantage.

I also remember when first going to Calabar and coming from a school where we played nothing at all, as it was a tiny school, the amazing and incredible vibe of playing ball after school from 1:45 to dusk was probably just the best time of my life, totally unstructured ball, with Nuff class mates all playing for bragging and ragging rights for the next day, who got Bruk, who got shifted out of them shoes, who got salad, who got kicked down like a little softie etc etc. The one thing that was not cool however was the first couple times I played coming back with black and brown shoe polish on my khakis and my mother being very unhappy about that, started carry shorts after that.
          That brings back memories. School holidays and leaving home from about 11:00am and nah return back until evening. And nuff a we, inc me running all day like a herd of wilder beast (bwoy mi did really fit dem days) looking for chance for a bruking followed by everyone bawling WOIIEEEEEeeee!!

Comment

Yeah man, I still ready to go, just no one to play with, except the Mexican guys and a a few americans, I don't really enjoy playing too much anymore as they all want to play structured ball and training I just want to have fun now like back in the day. I used to play every Saturday morning in east Brooklyn with some yard man at about 5:30 am on Saturday mornings but that is hard to find in Texas.

Comment

Working...
            X