RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlon King-Friendlies crucial..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon King-Friendlies crucial..........

Friendlies crucial for WC Qualifiers, says King

Livingston Scott
    Sunday, May 27, 2012

PROLIFIC Jamaican striker Marlon King believes the upcoming friendly series against Panama will be a good test for the Reggae Boyz as they prepare for the World Cup Qualifiers.

However, the Birmingham City forward told the Jamaica Observer a successful campaign will depend on a strong squad, not just a good starting team.

Striker Marlon King (right) and Jamaican teammates (from left) Damion Stewart and Errol Stevens at a training session at the National Stadium on Friday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

Striker Marlon King (right) and Jamaican teammates (from left) Damion Stewart and Errol Stevens at a training session at the National Stadium on Friday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

"This team is a mixture of youth and experience; you have some of the young ones coming up and getting their opportunity, then you have the blend of experience with (Ricardo) Fuller, myself, Claude (Davis), (Damion) Stewart and new additions like (Adrian) Mariappa and (Nyron) Nosworthy, so this only holds well for Jamaica," he said.

"This (game) is going to be a good solid test because Panama are in a similar group and we always have tough games against them. Although this is a friendly, we want to put on a good show for the home fans and get some good preparation underway...," he added.

The 32-year-old King, who boasts 12 goals in 19 matches for Jamaica and is expected to carry the bulk of the goalscoring burden, said experienced striker partners such as Ricardo Fuller and Luton Shelton will help shoulder the goal-poaching responsibilities.

"This is a squad thing and the manager has faith in whoever starts to do the job, so whether it's Fuller, Shelton, myself or (Jeremy) Lynch, whoever comes in... must be capable of doing a job... we have to work as one because this is not about individuals; it's a team game," King added.
    "Whatever team the manager picks will be a strong team... although we will need a good squad of 18 to 20 players," he added.

He also thinks the practise games will be a good opportunity for coach Theodore Whitmore to take a better look at some players.

"I think all the players are going to be used and it's the manager's chance to see the players that have not played as often as some of us, but everyone is looking forward to it and to get to the business end of the Qualifiers," he said.

King's, whose club Birmingham City lost in the English league champions semi-finals play-off, said it was a disappointing end to the season for him, but they will just have to try again next season.

"It was a long season, full of ups and downs and I was a little bit disappointed to reach to the semi-final and lose, but that's football. You've just got to pick yourself up and go again next season... I managed to finish the season in good form, so hopefully, I can take it into the international circuit," he said

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1w3pAjOnC
    Last edited by Karl; May 27, 2012, 09:35 AM.

King, who boasts 12 goals in 19 matches for Jamaica
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
    X