• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez wants Liverpool assurances

Martinez wants Liverpool assurances

May 25, 2012
    By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

ESPN has been told Roberto Martinez wants assurances over the level of control he will have over team affairs before agreeing to become Liverpool's new manager.

EmpicsRoberto Martinez took over as Wigan manager in 2009

Whelan: Martinez in Reds talks
    Bob the team-builder: Can he fix it?

Wigan boss Martinez flew to Miami to hold talks with Liverpool's owners FSG this week as the Reds upped the ante in their search for a successor to the sacked Kenny Dalglish.
    Latics chairman Dave Whelan has recently warned Martinez that he may not have full control of the club's transfer dealings, believing FSG wish to adopt a more European-style recruitment structure.
    Speaking on Friday, Whelan confirmed Martinez's first set of talks with FSG have now come to a conclusion, with further discussions planned next week as the Spanish coach mulls over whether the position at Anfield is right for him.
    Whelan told ESPN: "Roberto has had a constructive meeting with Liverpool. He is now back at my home in Barbados. He returns to London on Tuesday, when he will have further talks with Liverpool and when a decision will be made.
    "There was no other manager mentioned so I imagine they want Roberto. I don't want to lose him, but I made him a promise when he first joined that, if a big club came in for him, I'd let him go, and I will honour that promise.
    "I am still not convinced it is a foregone conclusion, because they put their points on the table, and Roberto put his. He listened to their points, but I think they also listened to his and I think they are coming to terms with the way English football is run. Roberto wants control over football matters and that includes transfers, and if they agree to that, then I can see him becoming the Liverpool manager.
    "Roberto works seven days a week, sometimes 12 hours a day. He is not the average manager, but he likes to run the football side, and I can see Liverpool's point of view about the amount of money spent on players. If they agree to let Roberto take responsibility for the transfers than I think he will go there, and I can see that Liverpool have set their sights on him."
    Later, talking to Sky Sports, Whelan added: "I think what he has said is, 'Thank you for your offer but I only work under the following rules: I have to have complete control of football. That's normally the way in England, that's how we all work.
    "I think they're considering his request and Roberto's considering their offer and they're going to talk again on Tuesday. Hopefully he stays with us but wherever he goes, he's 100% dedicated to that football club.''
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

You cant trust KD who brought you 2 cup finals in his 1st season with your millions , but you want to give it to a relegation fighter ? You spit in the fans face by not even giving Rafa a courtesy call after you sacked KD for not achieving top 4 ?

So what standard do you set for Martinez, have the goal post changed to some say realistic goals ? like no CL football in 3 years ?

So KD goals were not realistic in the first place and reaching 2 cup finals count for nought ?

Well seeing that you have set the bar so high for KD and out of reach for Rafa, we the Fans expecting nothing less than a top 4 finish , or at least 2 cup finals,anything less means a revolt

Yankee boy tek man fi fool.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      You cant trust KD who brought you 2 cup finals in his 1st season with your millions , but you want to give it to a relegation fighter ? You spit in the fans face by not even giving Rafa a courtesy call after you sacked KD for not achieving top 4 ?

So what standard do you set for Martinez, have the goal post changed to some say realistic goals ? like no CL football in 3 years ?

So KD goals were not realistic in the first place and reaching 2 cup finals count for nought ?

Well seeing that you have set the bar so high for KD and out of reach for Rafa, we the Fans expecting nothing less than a top 4 finish , or at least 2 cup finals,anything less means a revolt

Yankee boy tek man fi fool.
      Give it up X, Kenny got himself sacked from the way how he waste the peoples money to the Suarez/Evra affair and the way him conduct himself in front of the media the man cant even give an interview, there is no way you can sit and allow a manager to embarrass your club, he deserved the sack too arrogant.

Comment

Seems to be a popular sentiment to liverpool managers,when they win cup titles.Sack im,when Arsenal managers dont do squat ,its rebuilding in youth have patience.

I have heard that tone before , money wasted,not good with the media etc etc,well we have Martinez he is the best,pity we couldnt get Wenger.

Comment

Seems to be a popular sentiment to liverpool managers,when they win cup titles.Sack im,when Arsenal managers dont do squat ,its rebuilding in youth have patience.

I have heard that tone before , money wasted,not good with the media etc etc,well we have Martinez he is the best,pity we couldnt get Wenger.
          Gwaan go sit down with unuh Carling cup and stop call up big manager name, the Gunners are a million miles ahead of Liverpool right now.

Comment

Bigger man name?....look man Matinez is the man..lol.

Comment

Bigger man name?....look man Matinez is the man..lol.
              The owners draw fi the right Spaniard you should be thankful.

Comment

A nuh dat yuh fi say ! Say di man up deh wid Wenger ,Fergie,Mancini,Rednknapp and of course Rafa,dem man deh a bwoy to Martinez.

Im CV read Keep wigan up and keep wigan up.Top 4 or 2 cup finals gauranteed next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                  The owners draw fi the right Spaniard you should be thankful.
                  Dunny - how can you say that? What has Martinez accomplished compared to Rafa? To me, this is a blunder and were it to be a choice between Rafa and Martinez, it would be Rafa all the way. But, when you are looking at the big picture, it really should be Frank Rijkaard, he is the right man for the job in so many ways it makes me ill that he is not even in the frame (esp. when he was being considered to replace Roy). Martinez? I don't think so. Frustrating.
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                    Dunny - how can you say that? What has Martinez accomplished compared to Rafa? To me, this is a blunder and were it to be a choice between Rafa and Martinez, it would be Rafa all the way. But, when you are looking at the big picture, it really should be Frank Rijkaard, he is the right man for the job in so many ways it makes me ill that he is not even in the frame (esp. when he was being considered to replace Roy). Martinez? I don't think so. Frustrating.
                    Paul i was never a fan of Rafa, me and X had many arguments on here. Rafa spent many years at Liverpool and he left the team worst than when he arrived he didn't plan for the future hence Liverpool are in the position they are in today. He had a lucky CL win with Houlliers's team and been living off that ever since.My problem with Rafa is he treats football like a market place he is only interested in buying and selling, while some manager buy to strengthen Rafa just buy for buying sake and he is always moaning that he haven't got enough money to spend. A long list of players Rafa bought and then sold and their replacement weren't better some even worse. Josemi,Nunez,Crouch,Sissoko,Benayoun,Bellamy,kean and what was he thinking trying to sell Alonso to buy Barry then buying Kean and selling him back for a loss a few months later. Spending big money on Aquillani and Glen Johnson and then crying to everybody that the owners haven't back him in the transfer market.(Did you know that Arshavin is Arsene Wenger record buy £15,000 000)I dont hear him crying about money. Rafa went to Inter to a ready made team who had one back to back championship just won the CL and crying to everyone about he haven't got no money to spend what's that all about? Owners are wary of Rafa now they wont touch him with a barge pole he will be unemployed for a long time.Martinez is a bright young manager who's worked miracles at Wigan playing fantastic football, people who knows football and are clever enough to look beyond is CV will realize that this guy has what it takes to be a top Manager. Paul do you and X think if Rafa, Jose,Wenger or Ferguson was manager of Wigan they would be winning trophy's and finishing in the top 4?

Comment

...millions of dollars too... it has to be said...
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                        Paul i was never a fan of Rafa, me and X had many arguments on here. Rafa spent many years at Liverpool and he left the team worst than when he arrived he didn't plan for the future hence Liverpool are in the position they are in today. He had a lucky CL win with Houlliers's team and been living off that ever since.My problem with Rafa is he treats football like a market place he is only interested in buying and selling, while some manager buy to strengthen Rafa just buy for buying sake and he is always moaning that he haven't got enough money to spend. A long list of players Rafa bought and then sold and their replacement weren't better some even worse. Josemi,Nunez,Crouch,Sissoko,Benayoun,Bellamy,kean and what was he thinking trying to sell Alonso to buy Barry then buying Kean and selling him back for a loss a few months later. Spending big money on Aquillani and Glen Johnson and then crying to everybody that the owners haven't back him in the transfer market.(Did you know that Arshavin is Arsene Wenger record buy £15,000 000)I dont hear him crying about money. Rafa went to Inter to a ready made team who had one back to back championship just won the CL and crying to everyone about he haven't got no money to spend what's that all about? Owners are wary of Rafa now they wont touch him with a barge pole he will be unemployed for a long time.Martinez is a bright young manager who's worked miracles at Wigan playing fantastic football, people who knows football and are clever enough to look beyond is CV will realize that this guy has what it takes to be a top Manager. Paul do you and X think if Rafa, Jose,Wenger or Ferguson was manager of Wigan they would be winning trophy's and finishing in the top 4?
                        My question was how you could pick Martinez over Rafa. Much of what you say against Rafa I don't dispute. I have similar issues, but you can't say Rafa made the UCL finals 2x with Houllier's team. Rafa's mistake was losing Alonso. Now, there is no question that Martinez did a good job at Wigan, but managing a squad with a cost basis of 20m pounds is not the same as managing expensive players or a big budget. I have no doubt that Martinez is going to be a manager of the future, but he should go to Villa before he goes anywhere else. Liverpool in turn needs to find a *proven* manager, give him the budget, space and time and go from there. There is too much risk with an unproven entity. Lastly, as for Arsenal, you have seen me discuss on here that I am a huge fan of their model, but can you see Fergie or Mancini operating under those conditions? That said, Arsenal's wage bill of 124m is higher than their cost basis would suggest. This is really the problem that KD had, with a squad wage bill of over 130m, (4th highest in the league behind chelski, city and the scum), he finished 8th!! I don't think Martinez is the best choice, but if he is the one, then I have no choice but to back him.
                        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

The fact is FSC will not get a manager who want instant money, They realise they just threw away 120 million with the promise of champions league this year. These American investors are looking for profit. Many owners will not touch Rafa because of his constant bickering in the public with owners. That is the last thing owners want. If you notice Fergie or Wenger will not get themselves caught up in this. Fergie could have bought the Glazer family to their knees if he wanted.

Most big coach is not going to touch Liverpool now as tehy want instant control and money and pool don't have that. Rikaard would be a good choice but you see Liverpool is not looking in that kind of direction. The reason many people like Martinez is he is very dedicated and has a visionm, and also speaks very well. I would be happy if he took Villa job anyhow. I hope the best for your team but with KD and Rafa ghost and no money to spend it is going to be tough for any new manager and these big managers(who are not always good) wants instant success.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            The fact is FSC will not get a manager who want instant money, They realise they just threw away 120 million with the promise of champions league this year. These American investors are looking for profit. Many owners will not touch Rafa because of his constant bickering in the public with owners. That is the last thing owners want. If you notice Fergie or Wenger will not get themselves caught up in this. Fergie could have bought the Glazer family to their knees if he wanted.

Most big coach is not going to touch Liverpool now as tehy want instant control and money and pool don't have that. Rikaard would be a good choice but you see Liverpool is not looking in that kind of direction. The reason many people like Martinez is he is very dedicated and has a visionm, and also speaks very well. I would be happy if he took Villa job anyhow. I hope the best for your team but with KD and Rafa ghost and no money to spend it is going to be tough for any new manager and these big managers(who are not always good) wants instant success.
                            I wouldn't exactly say there is "no money". FSG already have another 120m that they have allocated for player transfers and operations. The issue of "instant success" is not unreasonable either, as they have a very expensively assembled squad which will require some level of dismantling to make way for new blood. The bigger problem is that top players will not want to come to the club without UCL being in the frame. That is another reason why getting a brand name manager is important - players will want to play for them...like Frank or Pep.

Comment

you can nearly forget about TOP players ManCity/Chelsea/Real/Barca have that locked.

Liverpool have to concentrate on buying talent and not compete with these clubs right now. Not even United can. Liverpool have a good name and playing the first part of 2012/2013 season going to tell a whole lot for them. All I know you guys need someone with passion and drive to get this going and another thing is like Chelsea, the older players at the club, will they give their all for the new manager? While you think you need a big manager, be careful you don't end up with one that doesn't have passion and the club at heart. See what Hollier bought to Villa?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X