• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Humphrey aiming to impress

Humphrey aims to impress coach and fans

Sanjay Myers
    Friday, May 25, 2012

RIGHT-SIDED attacker Christopher Humphrey said he is keen to impress the Jamaican technical staff as preparation intensifies ahead of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers which begin next month.

The 24-year-old Humphrey and striker Marlon King, 32, who both arrived in the island on Wednesday, are among a host of foreign-based players invited by head coach Theodore Whitmore to face Panama in a friendly international on Sunday at the National Stadium.

HUMPHREY... I’m absolutely overwhelmed to get this chance

HUMPHREY... I’m absolutely overwhelmed to get this chance

The Reggae Boyz are also set to play a return match in Panama on June 1.

Humphrey, who hails from the parish of St Catherine and migrated to United Kingdom at age five, told the Jamaica Observer yesterday he is "absolutely overwhelmed" at the prospect of making his debut and is looking forward to winning over Whitmore and the local fans.

"It's unbelievable right now. Every footballer dreams to play for his country and to play international football. To be called up is the best thing that could happen to me as a professional player. I'm absolutely overwhelmed to get this chance.

"If I get selected to play I need to show the gaffer (coach) and the coaching staff and the team what I can do. One of the aims is also to please the fans and the public in what you do on the pitch. Hopefully, I can excite them," said the player who just completed a fruitful third season at Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League.

He insisted his immediate focus is on the Reggae Boyz' upcoming friendly matches, and not the Qualifiers for Brazil 2014.

"To be a part of the World Cup qualifying team is the ultimate dream, but these friendlies are the most important to me at the moment because I have to impress there before I take another step.

"Before the Qualifiers I have to prove to people that I'm worthy of playing," Humphrey said, while explaining that though there are some nerves, he has been impressed with how the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has treated him so far.

Packed with skills honed in Britain at League Two's Shrewsbury Town before moving to Motherwell, Humphrey said his strengths are running at opposing defenders and getting accurate crosses into the 18-yard-box.

"I'm a winger and a very attacking player. I like to run at defences and cross balls into the area and generally do things at speed. I'm looking to bring that edge that a winger could bring to the team."

While Humphrey is a bit of an unknown quantity, the temperamental King is a proven goalscorer at the highest level.

The six-foot Birmingham forward has not represented Jamaica since 2009, but has netted 12 times in 19 international appearances.

Other overseas-located invitees are Stoke City's Ricardo Fuller, the Watford duo of Nyron Nosworthy and Adrian Mariappa and Luton Shelton of Turkish club Karabukspor.

The Jamaicans, who will host Guatemala in their first World Cup Qualifier on June 8, are also drawn alongside United States and Antigua & Barbuda

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1vsbt1jVv
    Last edited by Karl; May 25, 2012, 09:19 AM.

Here is where we need to make sure we are not overdoing this thing, when we go outide our local/foreign based player pool, we need to get guys who are going to change the trajectory of play at that position. Humphrey has scored two goals and has four assists in 34 games, that is a goal production event (gpe) average of 17 percent, if he has a shot then every one playing at that performance level should get a shot. We have a ton of guys already doing that! What we need to get in are guys like a Jobi Mcanuff that consistently Produces at every level he plays and this year has 5 goals and 11 assists in league play and has captained his team to step up to the epl, a (gpe) average of 41percent, that is significant production.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
      Here is where we need to make sure we are not overdoing this thing, when we go outide our local/foreign based player pool, we need to get guys who are going to change the trajectory of play at that position. Humphrey has scored two goals and has four assists in 34 games, that is a goal production event (gpe) average of 17 percent, if he has a shot then every one playing at that performance level should get a shot. We have a ton of guys already doing that! What we need to get in are guys like a Jobi Mcanuff that consistently Produces at every level he plays and this year has 5 goals and 11 assists in league play and has captained his team to step up to the epl, a (gpe) average of 41percent, that is significant production.
      Chris Humphrey, Jamaican born and a very good player, just as good a winger as Jobi if not better the only difference Jobi is more versatile and plays in central midield sometimes for Reading. Motherwell is also a more defensive team.

Comment

Humphrey is more like Dane Richards but what he does is cross the ball very good. He is a good addition to the squad. We don't have a lot of wingers who can actually cross the ball as good as Humphrey. We may need him is some games.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Humphrey is more like Dane Richards but what he does is cross the ball very good. He is a good addition to the squad. We don't have a lot of wingers who can actually cross the ball as good as Humphrey. We may need him is some games.
          We will need him period, what i like about him is his work ethic and stamina you dont find a lot of wingers who track back and help the team out defensively, this is where this youth is different.

Comment

I'll just have to wait until I see them on TV to make my assessment. What I do know is that Dane Richards needs to improve his crossing and his general mobility. I haven't watched him since that Red Bulls vs Montreal Impact game, so I don't know if he has improved since. I saw that he scored recently. At this point, it can only do us good to have many players vying for spots knowing that no one is guaranteed a game. I'll trust Tappa....for now.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Saw some MLS highlight this morning. Dane made an excellent cross for the Red Bull this weekend with ended up been the assist in a 1-1 tie. The problem with Dane is that he blows hot and cold. Usually he starts the season very slow and in the mid to the end he will pick up the pace.

When Dane is on he will beat defense, when he is off his whole game is off and that is why we need players like Humphrey who knows the basic such as crossing very well.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                Saw some MLS highlight this morning. Dane made an excellent cross for the Red Bull this weekend with ended up been the assist in a 1-1 tie. The problem with Dane is that he blows hot and cold. Usually he starts the season very slow and in the mid to the end he will pick up the pace.

When Dane is on he will beat defense, when he is off his whole game is off and that is why we need players like Humphrey who knows the basic such as crossing very well.
                Dane does not give his all every game. ...and that is a big problem. Just look at the last Gold Cup set of matches.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think he gives his all but it doesn't always work out for him. He depend too much on pace and when that doesn't work he doesn't always know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Dane does not give his all every game. ...and that is a big problem. Just look at the last Gold Cup set of matches.
                    Agreed, you need consistency at this level.

Comment

good addition to di mix, dane, dis yout, daley an di odah english seem to be di playahs to fight fi dis spot. good competition fi spots is di rights.

Comment

Look like everybody happy, I hope you are right, I have been14 long years in the wilderness and can't see no help yet. I hope unnu right, but the numbers tell me something a little different.

Comment

He is a pure winger, He can score but he is used very wide, much like Valencia is used for Man U. It makes it harder to score from the corner flag

Comment

Working...
                          X