• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'can style soccer will take time, says McIntosh

J'can style soccer will take time, says McIntosh

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CHAIRMAN of the JFF Technical and Development Committee, Howard McIntosh, says Jamaica is still determined to craft its own football philosophy, but in the same breath, conceded it won't happen overnight.

McIntosh, who is also one of three FIFA development officers operating in the CONCACAF zone, said the ground work for achieving this goal has already been laid with the JFF/JMMB/UTech Coaching School, which has so far graduated some 400 coaches since inception in 2009.

MCINTOSH... development of a football philosophy can’t happen in a vacuum

"The development of any football philosophy cannot happen in a vacuum. The introduction of the coaching school was part of the strategic thrust towards this goal as this is where the foundation and principles have to commence.

"However, this will not be overnight. We have to be patient with the evolution through training and systematic implementation at the grassroots level," he said.

A football philosophy is thought to be a deliberate set of principles and ideals on how a country's football culture and practices should evolve, which ultimately will achieve the full utilisation of the strengths of its players in arriving at a particular style of play that may be unique in a sense.

Apart from the coaching school, the JFF/Digicel National Grassroots Football Programme and the establishment of the JFF Technical Centre based at the UWI Bowl are to be integrated into the overall master plan to develop this much-talked-about philosophy.

While the grassroots programme for kids aged from six to 12 years has kicked off, McIntosh said the Technical Centre lags in its development, but is confident that when completed it will be "a showpiece" of the local football landscape.

"There is so much that needs to be brought up to scratch, including the playing surface. The football centre, when completed, will be something that the country can be proud of.

"It is not yet at the stage that we can compare to the developed world. However, we are confident we are on the right track with limited finances," he said.

Though Jamaica is not viewed as an authentic football nation, its youth spend a great deal of time playing the game from street corners to cattle fields and the national programme aims to invest in harnessing this passion in a constructive way.

Jamaica, even as it has qualified four teams to different men's World Cup Finals since 1998, is deemed to lack the history and tradition that separates it from European, South American and Central American nations.

"Jamaicans are sport-loving people in general, but we are still some way from being regarded as an authentic football-playing nation in every sense. We have made steady improvement in some areas, but are not as advanced in others.

"When we have our technical and physical infrastructure up to good and consistent standards and can deliver consistently a product good for international television and which includes very good attendance at our games at international and national levels, then we can confidently state we have arrived with the big boys.

"However, we are definitely making forward strides and should feel encouraged," McIntosh concluded.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This is very true

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    J'can style soccer will take time, says McIntosh

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CHAIRMAN of the JFF Technical and Development Committee, Howard McIntosh, says Jamaica is still determined to craft its own football philosophy, but in the same breath, conceded it won't happen overnight.

McIntosh, who is also one of three FIFA development officers operating in the CONCACAF zone, said the ground work for achieving this goal has already been laid with the JFF/JMMB/UTech Coaching School, which has so far graduated some 400 coaches since inception in 2009.

"The development of any football philosophy cannot happen in a vacuum. The introduction of the coaching school was part of the strategic thrust towards this goal as this is where the foundation and principles have to commence.

"However, this will not be overnight. We have to be patient with the evolution through training and systematic implementation at the grassroots level," he said.

A football philosophy is thought to be a deliberate set of principles and ideals on how a country's football culture and practices should evolve, which ultimately will achieve the full utilisation of the strengths of its players in arriving at a particular style of play that may be unique in a sense.

Apart from the coaching school, the JFF/Digicel National Grassroots Football Programme and the establishment of the JFF Technical Centre based at the UWI Bowl are to be integrated into the overall master plan to develop this much-talked-about philosophy.

While the grassroots programme for kids aged from six to 12 years has kicked off, McIntosh said the Technical Centre lags in its development, but is confident that when completed it will be "a showpiece" of the local football landscape.

"There is so much that needs to be brought up to scratch, including the playing surface. The football centre, when completed, will be something that the country can be proud of.

"It is not yet at the stage that we can compare to the developed world. However, we are confident we are on the right track with limited finances," he said.

Though Jamaica is not viewed as an authentic football nation, its youth spend a great deal of time playing the game from street corners to cattle fields and the national programme aims to invest in harnessing this passion in a constructive way.

Jamaica, even as it has qualified four teams to different men's World Cup Finals since 1998, is deemed to lack the history and tradition that separates it from European, South American and Central American nations.

"Jamaicans are sport-loving people in general, but we are still some way from being regarded as an authentic football-playing nation in every sense. We have made steady improvement in some areas, but are not as advanced in others.

"When we have our technical and physical infrastructure up to good and consistent standards and can deliver consistently a product good for international television and which includes very good attendance at our games at international and national levels, then we can confidently state we have arrived with the big boys.

"However, we are definitely making forward strides and should feel encouraged," McIntosh concluded.

I was at the so call football complex several weeks ago. Wow is there much to do. What happened to the funding for this. They need synthetic turf for future use as the water system they are using will not help in the days ahead.

Howard a good guy is correct. It will take time. Would it have been good if the JFF started the "grass roots" (not sure what this is about) or something similar with good leadership and coaching youth after the 98 W/C. WE could more than likely say Jamaica would have a higher level of ability to qualify for 2014 in Brazil.

We only now have figures crossed.

PBANTA

Comment

At this point do we even need a style as per say?

Why not adopt one of the many progressive one that suits us? and something our players will adopt to?

We need structure and better training but at this point I am wondering what style we can come up with.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The Panama match-up should be a very good test.

Quite surprised that Jamaica is 1 goal better than Guyana.

Can you imagine having this kind of discussion at this stage/
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Right!!, ah dat mi ah wondah to, why try to create a style, dat nuh necessary, more important tings need such as development and organization dan worry bout style.

Comment

Jamaica football style unique?

Comment

There is no reason to surprise HL. Guyana has been playing a lot to matches coming into this game, Not only against countries but against clubs. If you notice we have a totally different strikeforce for the Panama game.

The goal was to look at the defenders. Sorry but NPL currently have no real strikers so that is not surprising to me. Our midfielders mostly in Norway was missing and then we only Shelton from the strike force was present.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Panama has a good 'style' (philosophy) of football. They are very disciplined team.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Style for the national teams only? ...or style adopted across all age-groups inclusive of national teams?

Not sure where that 'style' is expected to be inculcated?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Pbanta View Post
                    I was at the so call football complex several weeks ago. Wow is there much to do. What happened to the funding for this. They need synthetic turf for future use as the water system they are using will not help in the days ahead.

Howard a good guy is correct. It will take time. Would it have been good if the JFF started the "grass roots" (not sure what this is about) or something similar with good leadership and coaching youth after the 98 W/C. WE could more than likely say Jamaica would have a higher level of ability to qualify for 2014 in Brazil.

We only now have figures crossed.

PBANTA
                    Yes!
                    ...worse case: Better (late) to getting going now than never!

Comment

I know Skeng. I have been asking the same question for the last > 30 years. It seems to me that we should be trying to avoid the Jamaican style rather than trying to augment it or encourage it in any form. To me, it has one of the lowest success rates of any major style, if there is such a thing. I have been hearing about how great the Jamaica style is for the last 4 decades. It is more like a joker-style.

Comment

mine dem buss u salad and pile u

Comment

yeah they are a good test for us. Good games. Reggaeboyz coaches have nothing to complain about, they have a good list of players to choose from.

Comment

read it again.. slower..

Comment

For the youngsters let us just show them the basics, structure and love for the game and the rest will come.

Comment

Working...
                              X