Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X - same t'ing me a seh

Liverpool should turn to Frank Rijkaard for a return to the elite

Who will Liverpool's next manager be? New HITC writer Jay Howley believes a certain Champions League winning manager should be their top target...
    John W Henry’s decision to relieve Kenny Dalglish of his duties this week brought to an end a marriage that was once made in football heaven but had been heading for an increasingly difficult divorce.
    Dalglish rode into Anfield in January 2011 as the returning King back to reclaim the throne. In the wake of Roy Hodgson’s disastrous reign as manager, the former Liverpool hero was hailed as the man to restore pride and passion into a football club that had so obviously lost its way.

Immediate results were impressive and Dalglish was handed the reigns permanently in May 2011. The sense of excitement for Liverpool fans was evident, but what followed was a series of errors by Dalglish that gave one clear impression – this was a man who was painfully out of his time.
    Dalglish was sacked on Wednesday as the result of a disastrous league campaign that culminated in a 17-year low finish of 8th. Coupled with the failure of his big money signings such as Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll, Liverpool’s American owner called time on the Liverpool legend’s second stint at the club.

The names touted as potential replacements for the Scot include Wigan’s Roberto Martinez and former manager Rafael Benitez. The cue to take the reigns at Anfield will inevitably be long. Despite what some would have you believe, Liverpool remain a huge draw – a mammoth of a football club with a global fan base and a rich history – but also undeniably a sleeping giant.
    For a club of their size, they are in the wilderness – on the outside looking in. Similar sentiments can be made about a former Barcelona head coach now plying his trade in a land unworthy of his football expertise.

Frank Rijkaard, the man who brought the good times back to the might of Barcelona, is the current head coach of the Saudi Arabian national team. It is a position that may be financially lucrative for the Dutchman but does not do justice to a coach that has so much to offer to top level football.

When Rijkaard arrived at Barcelona in 2003, they were a club going through a similar situation to what Liverpool find themselves in now; undeniable transition.

Without a trophy since 1999, the club had gone through 5 managers in the 3 years that preceded Rijkaard’s appointment and the team was littered with under achieving ego-maniacs. Quite frankly, the place was a mad house.

Rijkaard’s arrival marked a change in fortunes for Barcelona. His decision to banish much of the previous old guard was an inspired one. He brought with him a fresh approach and together with the support of President Joan Laporta oversaw the transfers of new players who would come to represent his brave new world.

A young Brazilian by the name of Ronaldinho was snatched from the claws of Manchester United as he arrived from PSG to be the new pin-up boy for Rijkaard’s new-look Barcelona. The club would finish second that year to great rivals Real Madrid but pride had been restored. The following summer brought greater change, the arrivals of Samuel Eto’o, Ludovic Giuly and Deco would prove Rijkaard’s intent on delivering trophies for an expectant Catalonia crowd.

Greater still, the famed Barcelona youth academy had the faith of a manager determined to play the kind of football that the first team had become accustomed to before its barren years. Faith was placed in the likes of Víctor Valdés and Andrés Iniesta to become mainstays in Rijkaard’s grand idea. Back-to-back La Liga championships followed and the Dutchman’s crowning glory came in 2006 as he guided his team to a European Cup success in Paris after breaking Arsenal hearts.

It is testament to Rijkaard’s ability and vision that he could take a club going through such transition and littered with has beens and turn them into the Champions of Spain and Champions of Europe within three years. Money had invariably played a part but Rijkaard represented an idea at Barcelona that few others could carry out in practice. He rekindled the spirit of Johan Cryuff that had previously fell in to disrepair, a desire to play the game in the right way and a belief in youth – Total Football.
    Let us not forget that it was Rijkaard who handed a debut to the then 17-year-old Lionel Messi in a league game against Espanyol in 2004. It was Rijkaard who oversaw the development of Ronaldinho from a tricky player with undoubted promise into one of the finest players of his generation.
    The Dutchman departed the Camp Nou in 2008 having won 2 La Liga’s, 2 Supercopa’s and a Champions League. An unsuccessful spell at Galatasaray followed before a surprising move to Saudi Arabia as national coach in June of last year.

While it can be argued that Rijkaard’s decline since the heady heights of his spell at Barcelona is alarming, it is also true to say that his previous work should not be overlooked. The Dutchman’s managerial clout is there for all to see – greater still it manifests itself in a way that the written word cannot do justice to – large lumps of silver.

Five trophies in as many years at Barcelona was a very impressive haul given the circumstance he found upon his arrival at the Camp Nou. Rijkaard is exactly the type of manager that Liverpool need – a big name, still young, proven track record and a philosophy that few others can claim to have. With due respect to Saudi Arabia, Rijkaard is wasted there. He knows it, we know it and John Henry should know it too. ‘King’ Kenny’s departure renders him a part of Liverpool past – and now Rijkaard should be a part of its future.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

He would want a 50 million transfer Kitty and i would take him but they have turned to about 4- 6 managers already and they have said no.

Why would Rijkard be any different, something nuh right.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

No money to spend is what is not right.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        He would want a 50 million transfer Kitty and i would take him but they have turned to about 4- 6 managers already and they have said no.

Why would Rijkard be any different, something nuh right.
        Sass explained it. It is not a simple situation that they would be walking into. Other than Rodgers, the rejections have only come from people who have been speculatively been linked to the club - most recently de Boer and of course, the media feeds on this like vultures on a bleeding carcas. That said, 50m in a transfer kitty is entirely doable, as they have already secured 120m pounds in opeating funds to bolster existing cashflow. However, 50m for another wasted class of transfers and no UCL would be a huge blow. I think the club is realistic in realising that UCL may not come for 2 more seasons based on the funds they are prepared to make available. Their HUGE mistake was giving KD 120m to blow in one shot EXPECTING top 4 in return...the other problem is that they are not football people...the average man on the street could have told you 35M on Carroll was not good business, nor was 20M on Downing and Henderson. The fact that KD believed that was good business was enough for me.

By the way - the reason Rijkaard may be different is because all their other targets are in programs where they are progressing. Saudi Arabia's national team is a waste of Rijkaard's time, so it is probably more a compensation and transfer kitty issue (and him wanting to live in England) more than anything else.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Disagree with you on KD , agree with you that its not an easy job to come into and my reasons are different.I believe these candidates believe FSG are unreasonable or unrealistic and they dont want to answer to a director of football as it pertains to transfer targets.Capello would not do it, Mourinho would not do it , Rafa fought against it .

Successful managers run their own transfer department , if they do have a Director of football , its a figurehead position, FSG probably given that title too much power....something nuh right.

The expectation of a top 4 finish , in a maiden season ? BTW history will be kind to K.D , 2 finals and one title in a season is damm good.We really cant count the half season taken from Hodgson , but if we do it is exceptional.

He earned another season!and anysone saying 8th place isnt good enough knowing we made it to 2 finals , but they want a new manager and they expect no Champions league ball in 2 seasons needs to look in the mirror.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Disagree with you on KD , agree with you that its not an easy job to come into and my reasons are different.I believe these candidates believe FSG are unreasonable or unrealistic and they dont want to answer to a director of football as it pertains to transfer targets.Capello would not do it, Mourinho would not do it , Rafa fought against it .

Successful managers run their own transfer department , if they do have a Director of football , its a figurehead position, FSG probably given that title too much power....something nuh right.

The expectation of a top 4 finish , in a maiden season ? BTW history will be kind to K.D , 2 finals and one title in a season is damm good.We really cant count the half season taken from Hodgson , but if we do it is exceptional.

He earned another season!and anysone saying 8th place isnt good enough knowing we made it to 2 finals , but they want a new manager and they expect no Champions league ball in 2 seasons needs to look in the mirror.
            I don't think they're saying that the manager won't run the transfer dept and thereby have ultimate say, but they are saying they want someone who is going to be closer to the players on the pitch (sounds like a super coach to me). To be honest, I am not sure if I agree or disagree with them, it will have to be proven on the pitch. As for KD, do you really think that Downing, Carroll, Adam and Henderson was good business? Not to mention having Aquaman out on loan and having Spearing in the starting 11 in the FA Cup final (how many times have I pointed out to you on this board that the Hobbit is just not good enough?) Anyway, all crazy decisions for my money.

Comment

Lets be fair to Spearing & KD , through no fault of KD & Spearing, he was forced in a starting role , with Aquaman forced out under Hodgson and Lucas Injured his(KD) options for that position are limited,spearing the obvious aprentice under Lucas , Maschi and Alonso , got his chance to shine.He really didnt do too bad, he went to 2 cup finals.

I like all of his singings except Adam and the money spent to get them , its a long term project.Those singings got us to 2 finals , in his 1st season,any manager would die for that.K.D wasnt as bad as you think.He earned another season.

FSG are looking for what , a manager to work with a Director of football ? They sacked Comolli because ? I guessed he bought KD requested signings ! and KD because he requested them and no top 4 (CL) was achieved irrespective of 2 cup finals !So if I was a BIG NAME MANGER , or a little one , i have to ask is this an enviroment that I want to work in ,even given a massive budget ?

Unrealistic something nuh right.

Comment

"I like all of his singings except Adam and the money spent to get them"

That's why you will never be allowed anywhere near the transfer kitty. A man like you will spend 20m on a Bobby Zamora and 15m on Shaw Wright-Phillips. While you are at it, I want to sell you, at a discounted price, Dimitar Berbatov for 25m. He should solve all your goal-scoring problems for the new season.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Lets be fair to Spearing & KD , through no fault of KD & Spearing, he was forced in a starting role , with Aquaman forced out under Hodgson and Lucas Injured his(KD) options for that position are limited,spearing the obvious aprentice under Lucas , Maschi and Alonso , got his chance to shine.He really didnt do too bad, he went to 2 cup finals.

I like all of his singings except Adam and the money spent to get them , its a long term project.Those singings got us to 2 finals , in his 1st season,any manager would die for that.K.D wasnt as bad as you think.He earned another season.

FSG are looking for what , a manager to work with a Director of football ? They sacked Comolli because ? I guessed he bought KD requested signings ! and KD because he requested them and no top 4 (CL) was achieved irrespective of 2 cup finals !So if I was a BIG NAME MANGER , or a little one , i have to ask is this an enviroment that I want to work in ,even given a massive budget ?

Unrealistic something nuh right.
                  I think that KD was the last to go but should have been the first. The communications director, director of football and manager were all culpable for one mess up or another this season but none more so than KD(btw - Comolli was the one that made the first misinterpretation of what Suarez "said" leading to the subsequent avalanche that buried them all).

The problem with the 2 cup finals is that while they were great to get to, they were NOT the priority. KD's priority HAD TO BE the league and it was not good enough. He is clearly out of alignment with the owners objectives when he said wouldn't have traded the Carling Cup for anything. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard that - no one in their right mind spends 120m for the effin' Carling Cup!! Top 4 had to be his focus - PERIOD...and he fell WAAAY short.

As for being fair to him - I think FSG were incredibly fair to him. Could you imagine what Rafa must have been sitting there thinking when he saw that kind of money being wasted? Secondly, while Spearing may have been an understudy etc. his selection in the team under scored KD's lack of understanding of the game. He should have sold in January to buy a proper replacement for Lucas. Spearing is JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND NEVER WILL BE to play for a top side. Could you see him walking into ANY of the top 4? Not a chance. He is a mid table player worthy of a mid table club, which is what playing him got us.

KD has to take the blame. FSG now have to get their act together and get a proper manager in and stop all this chupid flirtation with "young" (read - cheap and unproven) talent. It is wishful thinking or Russian roulette to my way of thinking. Top players will play for a proven manager, which is why AVB is the only one that makes any sense from the youngster crowd.

Comment

AVB who malinged half his squad which just won a CL & FA cup without him ? AVB isnt it chuss mi on dat.Man City spent half a billion under new ownership and could not make the top 4 in there 1st two season, when they did they won a FA cup , the year before the Prem.

We need to look at the dynamics of the prem since Rafa walked , its totally changed.Liverpool need a manager who understands the Prem (be it KD) was under the learning curve and doing well with 2 cup finals.We were getting there under KD.I believe he deserved another season, that said with the new regime , Man City, Chelsea, Man U , Arsenal (finally spending), Spurs (leveraging ) and Pool finally has prudent owners,its not a top 4 anymore , really its the top 6, with the Top 4 getting royalties,CL football.

Pools expectation of getting back there has to be realistic under FSG, i dont believe it is, but we will see how long it takes them to get it.I could be wrong but i doubt it.
                    Last edited by Sir X; May 21, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

AVB who malinged half his squad which just won a CL & FA cup without him ? AVB isnt it chuss mi on dat.Man City spent half a billion under new ownership and could not make the top 4 in there 1st two season, when they did they won a FA cup , the year after the Prem.

We need to look at the dynamics of the prem since Rafa walked , its totally changed.Liverpool need a manager who understands the Prem (be it KD) was under the learning curve and doing well with 2 cup finals.We were getting there under KD.I believe he deserved another season, that said with the new regime , Man City, Chelsea, Man U , Arsenal (finally spending), Spurs (leveraging ) and Pool finally has prudent owners,its not a top 4 anymore , really its the top 6, with the Top 4 getting royalties,CL football.

Pools expectation of getting back there has to be realistic under FSG, i dont believe it is, but we will see how long it takes them to get it.I could be wrong but i doubt it.
                      There is no question the dynamics have changed since Rafa. However, we disagree that KD deserved another season. His signings for the money spent were just not good enough, neither were his tactics. Top 4 has to be the priority. As for AVB, I am not advocating him, but if we must go young, he's the only one that has ever won anything of note.

Comment

KD singnings will come good , if 4 out of the 5 improve next season, it was a success, I will say I expect Henderson,Carroll and Downing to improve.Saurez we expect already,Adams not in my book.Thats success, but lets see.

Comment

Bwoy yuh standards of success very low. But hey.....if you are comfortable with mediocrity.....who am I?
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

KD singnings will come good , if 4 out of the 5 improve next season, it was a success, I will say I expect Henderson,Carroll and Downing to improve.Saurez we expect already,Adams not in my book.Thats success, but lets see.
                            Suarez was not his signing...so let's adjust that to 3 of 4. Now...I am not saying they may or may not come good, what I'm saying is that they were all collectively poor value for money. The fact that they did not deliver in the first season simply underscored that. I do hope they do come good. That would be best for everyone involved.

Comment

Salary of Saudi soccer coach deemed waste of money
                              Apr 9, 11:29 am EDT

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP)—Now that Saudi Arabia has failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup, the judgment is in on national coach Frank Rijkaard: His salary is a waste of money.

Rijkaard, a former Dutch star and Barcelona coach, has been criticized by the council advising the Saudi monarchy.

Monday’s edition of the Saudi daily Al Eqtisadia reports that Shura council members said Rijkaard’s salary would be better spent on youth programs. They said his salary was equivalent to that of 10 ministers and his performance so far didn’t justify it.

Rijkaard signed a three-year deal in June worth $15.9 million. He was expected to turn around a team that was unable to advance past the group stage in the 2011 Asian Cup. Instead, the team won just one of its six World Cup qualifiers.

Comment

Working...
                              X