X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we're talkin' Spaniard!!!

Liverpool put Pep Guardiola at top of wishlist for new manager

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 17 May 2012 17.51 EDT

The outgoing Barcelona coach, Pep Guardiola, is at the top of Liverpool's list as the club searches for a new manager. Photograph: Juan Ferreras/EPA

Liverpool have wasted little time in the search for Kenny Dalglish's successor by drawing up a wishlist headed by Pep Guardiola and Fabio Capello, and have already approached Roberto Martínez at Wigan Athletic, Swansea City's Brendan Rodgers and André Villas-Boas within 24 hours of bringing the Anfield legend's reign to an end.

Fenway Sports Group, the club's owners, received permission to hold talks with Martínez from the Wigan chairman, Dave Whelan, as their wide-ranging approach to identifying Liverpool's next manager became apparent a day after Dalglish's exit. Unlike Whelan, Swansea have not cleared the way for Rodgers to meet Liverpool as yet but are expected to do so. Villas‑Boas is also in the frame for the Liverpool job but John W Henry and Tom Werner, the principal owner and the chairman at Anfield respectively, intend to assess several candidates as they finalise a shortlist. Martínez, Rodgers and Villas‑Boas are by no means the only coaches under consideration. The ideal candidates are Guardiola and Capello but Liverpool's prospects of landing the outgoing Barcelona coach and former England manager are understood to be remote. Guardiola has previously stated his intention to take a sabbatical from the game following a trophy-laden but draining spell at the Camp Nou, while Capello is keen on the Chelsea job. Borussia Dortmund's Jürgen Klopp and Marseille's Didier Deschamp are also thought to be under consideration.

The Wigan chairman revealed: "When Liverpool sacked Kenny I have to say I thought Liverpool would be knocking on the door, and sure enough they are. I did promise Roberto when a big club comes he will have permission to talk to them and they don't come any bigger than Liverpool. I gave permission and he will be talking to them soon."

Martínez does not have the title-winning experience that forms part of FSG's criteria but he will get the opportunity to convince Liverpool's owners that he can fit into the new management structure they intend to install at Anfield.

Whelan said: "We played there [at Liverpool] about two months ago. There's no heart at the club. It's a bit disturbing when you think a club like Liverpool is functioning without a heart. I mentioned that to Roberto and I think there's no heart beating at Liverpool. I think the sooner they get a heart the better. I don't know Roberto's feelings about Liverpool, I think he's going there with an open mind. I would love to keep Roberto, he's a great manager."

Liverpool's managing director, Ian Ayre, claimed the selection of Dalglish's successor represented the most critical in the club's recent history. He also insisted Anfield remains an attraction for the finest managers in the game.

FSG are being advised on the process by "highly regarded people within football", according to Ayre, who revealed the next manager must work under a new management structure at Anfield. Damien Comolli's former role as director of football is to be fragmented this summer although the new manager will continue to have an influence on transfers.

Liverpool face a third season outside the Champions League next term and Uefa's financial fair play rules, which requires clubs throughout Europe to break even, come into effect in 2013‑14. The failure to mount a challenge to the top four this season, and FSG's doubts over Dalglish's ability to deliver one next year, cost him his job despite winning the Carling Cup and reaching the FA Cup final.

Asked if Liverpool had made a more important appointment than the one now confronting Henry and Werner, Ayre said: "No. It's absolutely critical that we get it right and we move forward. The Champions League is where the football club has to be. When John and Tom arrived, they said they wanted to win. They mean winning and being in that competition. They want to be winning the league. It won't happen overnight. Nobody is kidding themselves. But you have got to be heading in that direction."

Replacements for Comolli – with his old job to be divided between its administrative, scouting and negotiating functions – Graham Bartlett, the former commercial director, and the head of communications Ian Cotton are expected in the next fortnight. The managerial search, said Ayre, who recently had his contract extended at Liverpool, is based "on a whole range of things, from experience and ability, methodology, style of play, character traits. As we've seen in the past it is not just about the football. It is about how controlling some are compared to others. There's a particular process that fits part of the plan we are trying to put together. It has to be a manager who fits in all of that."

Ayre's "controlling" comment would appear to rule out Rafael Benítez from a Liverpool return, the former manager having been given control over all football operations in his final contract.

David Dein, the former vice-chairman of Arsenal, was spotted at several matches with Liverpool officials towards the end of the season but Ayre refused to confirm who is advising Henry and Werner. Villas-Boas, Klopp and Deschamps all meet the criteria of younger title-winning coaches but, having again failed to qualify for the Champions League, and appointed from Fulham (Roy Hodgson) and within (Dalglish) for its last two managers, Ayre denies Liverpool are struggling to entice the most coveted coaches.

Ayre added: "Liverpool still gets everyone excited and interested. We may have lost our way a little in terms of performances but it is still one of the biggest football clubs in the world. It still has a huge fan base. It has also got a good solid business foundation. It has got good owners who are committed. A lot of that doesn't exist in a lot of other football clubs. If you are a manager at that level or you are a manager aspiring to get there, I still think this is one of the biggest jobs in world football.

"I am under no illusion that we can go and find a top-class manager to come to this football club, for all the reasons I have stated. I do not think we are in a situation where the very experienced, very capable, very driven managers who people would want to see here do not want to come."
    Last edited by Karl; May 18, 2012, 09:01 AM.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Would he want Liverpool ?... FSG would have to spend some money...
    Peter R

Comment

They said wish list Peter, thats exactly what it is!!

Comment

Pep have better sense!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sky Sports sources understand Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers has turned down an approach from Liverpool over their managerial vacancy.
          The Reds sacked Kenny Dalglish on Wednesday after a disappointing season that resulted in their worst league finish for 18 years.
          Owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have already made an approach for Wigan boss Roberto Martinez but appear keen to interview other candidates as they search for the right man.
          But it seems that won't be Rodgers, after the Northern Irishman rejected the opportunity to speak to FSG.
          The 39-year-old guided the Swans to 11th in their debut Premier League season, earning many plaudits for the team's attractive style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
            Sky Sports sources understand Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers has turned down an approach from Liverpool over their managerial vacancy.
            The Reds sacked Kenny Dalglish on Wednesday after a disappointing season that resulted in their worst league finish for 18 years.
            Owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have already made an approach for Wigan boss Roberto Martinez but appear keen to interview other candidates as they search for the right man.
            But it seems that won't be Rodgers, after the Northern Irishman rejected the opportunity to speak to FSG.
            The 39-year-old guided the Swans to 11th in their debut Premier League season, earning many plaudits for the team's attractive style of play.
            Good!! We need Rijkaard.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
              Good!! We need Rijkaard.

Comment

He would never take a rebuilding project like Liverpool with their Championship level talent.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Martinez holds Kop job talks in Miami... but Liverpool face fight with Villa

By DOMINIC KING
                  PUBLISHED: 16:48, 24 May 2012 | UPDATED: 07:57, 25 May 2012

Liverpool's search to find a new manager has taken a significant step forward after Roberto Martinez held face-to-face talks with John W Henry in Miami.

But Martinez finds himself embroiled in a tug-of-war as Aston Villa also want the Wigan boss and again held talks with his representatives at Villa Park.

Martinez has been the favourite for the Liverpool job since Kenny Dalglish was sacked nine days ago but the fact he has engaged in discussions does not necessarily mean an appointment is close.

Talks: Roberto Martinez is in Miami talking to Liverpool's owners about the current managerial vacancy at Anfield

Liverpool’s painstaking approach has drawn criticism, however, and Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has warned Fenway Sports Group they could have to pay £3million compensation if they eventually appoint Martinez.

‘Roberto signed an extension to his contract, so Liverpool would have to buy out his contract.’ Whelan said. ‘You are into £2million to £3million minimum.

‘Whatever the contract is worth I am sure Liverpool would honour that and buy it out. I have asked Roberto to make his mind up as soon as possible.

In the frame: Wigan boss Martinez has emerged as the front-runner to succeed axed Kenny Dalglish

‘If we have to lose him, I will move very quickly to appoint a successor as I have ideas. I haven’t asked him what he has decided to do, but if it's yes to Liverpool I will accept it and get on with life.

‘If it's no I'll be delighted. I would love him to stay, I hope he will stay, but I told him I need an answer in the next seven days.’

Liverpool have maintained all along that they would conduct a thorough and extensive search and that means Swansea’s Brendan Rodgers is still in the frame.

Looking ahead: Liverpool owner John Henry wants to find a suitable replacement for Dalglish

Andre Villas-Boas, however, is almost certainly out of contention, while Fabio Capello rebuffed Liverpool’s advances Former Bayern Munich coach Louis van Gaal is Fenway Sports Group’s preferred choice to become Liverpool’s new sporting director but the Dutchman has also let it be known he would be interested in becoming manager.

Dirk Kuyt, Liverpool’s Dutch striker, believes Van Gaal would be an excellent appointment, saying: 'It is not usual for players to speak about candidates but he is a Dutchman, has a great track record and has the experience that the club could put to good use.

In and out: Louis van Gaal has been linked with a move to Anfield while speculation linking ex-Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has cooled

'At the moment, Liverpool have no coach or technical director. Each club benefits from structure. You look at the Dutch national team and see that consistency and clarity are important,' the 31-year-old told De Telegraaf.

More...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1vrcUJA6i

Comment

Benitez, Benitez, Benitez - Fans plead, but Liverpool owners snub

HITC on: HITC on TwitterHITC on FacebookHITC on LinkedInHITC RSS Feed
                    HITC Sport on:
                    Daily DispatchHITC Sport on TwitterHITC Sport on FacebookHITC Sport RSS Feed

by Mal James

posted: 2 hours ago

Share on Tumblr
                    email
                    More Sharing ServicesShare

Share on Tumblr
                    email
                    More Sharing ServicesShare

In the last few days a number of Liverpool fan websites have run polls on who should be the next manager.
                    The answer on every one has been clear: Rafa Benitez.
                    On one site the proportion that supported Benitez was over 70%. Yet, Benitez seems to be the one obvious choice not being chosen, or even considered. Why?

It could be that the owners feel that bringing one past manager back was one too many. However, the decision to bring back Dalglish in the first place should never have been made.
                    His record as a manager did not justify it. The fact he’d been out of management for so long made the decision worse.
                    Take Part In Our Euro 2012 Predictor Competition - Free Entry, £4,000 Prize Fund
                    It looks like a decision that was made in good-will, but was based on sentiment and hope.
                    Considering Benitez as a candidate would be justified on his record, not sentiment. In fact, on these grounds, he is arguably one of the best candidates around.
                    He took over an under-performing Liverpool and led them to two successive Champions’ League titles. He won the FA Cup, and came second in the Premiership with a points-total that deserved to win it.
                    When he had funds, instead of having to wheel and deal and be a Del Boy in the transfer market, he did very well.
                    A clear majority of Liverpool fans want Benitez back. Not because of sentiment, but because he never should have been sacked.
                    It was not for incompetence, but for insubordination. He would not keep his mouth shut about the activities of Hicks and Gillett.
                    One Liverpool fan suggested to me that the reason he is not in the frame is because the new owners want a yes man. Perhaps a bit harsh, but Rafa does have a reputation for being his own person.
                    FSG are not showing good judgement. Most Liverpool fans want Benitez back, so not even interviewing him comes across as a snub to him and to them.
                    If whoever they appoint doesn’t succeed, then the fans reaction could be significant. Liverpool Football Club is at a crossroads.
                    The wrong decision now could leave it as a mid-table side for years to come, and the owners hated.
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                    X