• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayern president attacks Abromovich

Bayern Munich president Hoeness fuming at Abramovich's Chelsea 'oil mafia'

By Matt Barlow
    PUBLISHED: 10:30, 16 May 2012 | UPDATED: 20:53, 16 May 2012
    Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has attacked Roman Abramovich’s ownership of Chelsea.

Hoeness branded Abramovich one of the ‘oil mafia’ who take money from the public at petrol pumps to fund their football clubs.

He cited this as one reason why Bayern must beat Chelsea on Saturday and contrasted the club’s reliance upon their Russian billionaire with Bayern’s solid financial foundations.

No holds barred: Uli Hoeness (left) chats with Bayern boss Jupp Heynckes

‘I get angry every week when I go to buy petrol,’ fumed Hoeness. ‘The oil mafia takes money out of my pocket to invest it in footballers. For me this stinks to high heaven and I include Mr Abramovich in all this. We need to beat clubs like Chelsea on the field of play. Chelsea are a club with their backs to the wall as a result of their patchy league season. If they lose they won’t be in the competition next year.

‘If Bayern win it, we will make around £20million. That is what the game is all about: sporting success based on sound economic sense. Mr Abramovich has put £900m into Chelsea. If he pulls the plug on them, you’ll be able to pick the club up for the price of a puzzle magazine from a newsstand.

Ire: Roman Abramovich was the target of Hoeness's rage

‘I think it’s important for everyone at Bayern to feel that the club belongs to them. They must not have any fear that we will sell out to a Russian or Arabian consortium.

‘When the financial fair play rules come in it will be a golden era for Germany’s clubs.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1v4jY0eRB
Working...
X