• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top marksman targets World Cup

Top marksman targets World Cup

Published: Wednesday | May 16, 2012

Shelton

Ryon Jones, Staff ReporterAveraging better than a goal every two games to establish himself as the country's top scorer - having found the back of the goal 31 times in 60 matches - Luton Shelton is still hungry to grace the World Cup stage and believes this current crop of players are capable of achieving the feat.

"It is an honour to know that at the age of 26 you have scored 31 goals and are the leading goalscorer for the country," Shelton shared, following a meet-and-greet session with the Reggae Boyz squad called up for Friday's friendly international against Guyana.

"My dream is to play in the World Cup and I am more motivated than ever to go out there and do my best," Shelton remarked.

"Everyone's goal is to play in the World Cup; if you are a football player you must want to play in the World Cup; it is the biggest tournament in the world."

Achieving the ultimate goal
    The speedy player is even willing to amend his game, if necessary, for the greater good of the team in an effort to achieve the ultimate goal.
    "It is a team game. I am not trying to put everything on my head or anything, but at the same time, when I go out there, I want to do my job," Shelton reasoned.

"One of my goals was to become the leading goalscorer. I have already passed that, now I have to think bigger. I haven't been to the World Cup, so now my goal is the World Cup, so I have to take the goalscoring off my mind. Even if it is to be that I don't score one goal and I assist 10 goals, as long as it is the best thing for the team and we get through to the World Cup," he added.

The Jamaicans are drawn in Group A and will play Guatemala in the qualifying opener on June 8 at the National Stadium. The United States and Antigua and Barbuda are the other teams in the group.

"We are drawn in a good group where we think we can be successful. We have a good set of youths now in the team, which I think can put us forward and we are working on that," he added.

Shelton, who has been plagued with injuries, is happy to report that he is fairly healthy and ready to go ahead of Friday's game, which will be followed by another friendly against Panama at the Office on May 27.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports2.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Well all i will say about Mr Shelton is him a go rub the bench, it is serious business now.Frankly he is out of his depth when he is not playing against the likes of Cayman, Bahamas, St. Lucia etc.

Comment

Dunny wi agree
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        Dunny wi agree
        Thank you, the man couldn't even trap a bag of cement.

Comment

Nuff man rate im because, he is according to them our leading goal scorer,when i told them scoring 5 against bahamas, bermuda etc is like playing against a colts side dem vex.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I couldn't agree more, a kick and rundung baller that

Comment

Call names noh.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                Thank you, the man couldn't even trap a bag of cement.
                Boy Dunny, I use to feel the same way, but the last game I say Shelton play for JA he had good first touch, vision, and play away from the ball; all the things that were lacking for him in the past. It was clear (NZ) that Shelton and Cummings were a cut about the rest of the players on the pitch. I'll be watching him carefully to see if he has turned the corner, because he is just now heading into his prime as a footballer. If he continues his improved play it will be hard to keep him on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDread View Post
                  Boy Dunny, I use to feel the same way, but the last game I say Shelton play for JA he had good first touch, vision, and play away from the ball; all the things that were lacking for him in the past. It was clear (NZ) that Shelton and Cummings were a cut about the rest of the players on the pitch. I'll be watching him carefully to see if he has turned the corner, because he is just now heading into his prime as a footballer. If he continues his improved play it will be hard to keep him on the bench.
                  I hope so, dont get me wrong the youth have frightening pace and will always be a threat but his first touch,awareness and passing are not up to the standard required.

Comment

Yuh figet scoring Dunny.

Comment

Yuh figet scoring Dunny.
                      He can score, but can he score against quality opposition?I am not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                        He can score, but can he score against quality opposition?I am not so sure.
                        ...and that is the question.

Our fans need to somehow get minds beyond being satisfied with defeating our CFU brothers and even the usually past difficult oponents El Salvador, Costa Rica and Guatemala. We must aim to take the scalps of Mexico and the USA. At a bear minimum our players and teams should be judged against the quality of Mexico and the USA.

Shelton's scoring ability and all of our strikers should be called wonderful, average or poor as judged against top quality strikers.

Aside: On another note: Stonigut's statements on 'strike rate' rightly compares rates of top strikers in the leagues in which they play with the 'strike rate' of our top NPL strikers.

Surely the aim must be for our local players to, in our NPL, return 'strike rate' percentages comparable to their counter parts in top world leagues. Surely that similar 'strike rate' would point to some type of acceptable comparative level competence...right?

Like TheDread I have noticed improvement in Shelton's play. But I am also agreeing with Dunny on "not sure he can now cut it at the Mexico, USA and above levels.

If, in this World Cup qualifications, we advance to the round of the Hex and beyond maybe (subject to Tappa using him) we shall have our answers.
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          ...and that is the question.

Our fans need to somehow get minds beyond being satisfied with defeating our CFU brothers and even the usually past difficult oponents El Salvador, Costa Rica and Guatemala. We must aim to take the scalps of Mexico and the USA. At a bear minimum our players and teams should be judged against the quality of Mexico and the USA.

Shelton's scoring ability and all of our strikers should be called wonderful, average or poor as judged against top quality strikers.

Aside: On another note: Stonigut's statements on 'strike rate' rightly compares rates of top strikers in the leagues in which they play with the 'strike rate' of our top NPL strikers.

Surely the aim must be for our local players to, in our NPL, return 'strike rate' percentages comparable to their counter parts in top world leagues. Surely that similar 'strike rate' would point to some type of acceptable comparative level competence...right?

Like TheDread I have noticed improvement in Shelton's play. But I am also agreeing with Dunny on "not sure" he can now cut it at the Mexico, USA and above levels.

If, in this World Cup qualifications, we advance to the round of the Hex and beyond maybe (subject to Tappa using him) we shall have our answers.
                          Well said!

Comment

Nuh worry wi ave Fuller...lol

Comment

Nuh worry wi ave Fuller...lol
                              We have a strong contingent of strikers that we can mix and match depending on the team and situation we face. What we seem to forget is that Fuller is on his downward curve as a footballer while Shelton has not even hit his prime. Lets hope that Shelton keeps improving in those areas we all know he should because that will only bode well for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X