X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawd this squad excites me, bring on the qualifiers

Strong Reggae Boyz squad called for Guyana game
    May 14, 2012
    Jamaica’s senior Reggae Boyz will face off against Guyana’s National Men’s team, the Golden Jaguars on Friday May 18 (8 pm) at the Catherine Hall Stadium, Jamaica. The last time the two teams met was in the 2010 Digicel Caribbean Cup where Jamaica won 4-0.

The game will signal the final phase of Jamaica’s World Cup qualifying preparation that includes a home-and-away game against Panama on May 27 and June 1 and a major training camp expected to begin mid May.

Jamaica is expected to field a strong team as 14 overseas-based players have been called up by the JFF for the game. Included are two new faces in Nyron Nosworthy and Adrian Mariappa who both represent Watford F.C. in the UK. Mariappa, regarded as one of the senior professionals, recently won the Watford Player of the Season Award for 2011-2012. 31-year-old Byron Nosworthy, who was born in England to a Jamaican father and a Guyanese, has express delight at the call up as he has long dreamed of joining the Reggae Boyz once he realized that he could represent for Jamaica. Both Nosworthy and Mariappa are in Jamaica.

The list of overseas players called are: Defenders - Nyron Nosworthy (Watford, England), Adrian Mariappa (Watford), Damion Stewart (Notts County, England), Nathan Smith (Chesterfield, England), Claude Davis (Crawley Town, England), O'Brian Woodbine (VPS, Finland), Lance Laing (Fort Lauderdale Strikers, USA); Midfielders - Chris Humphrey (Motherwell, Scotland), Omar Daley (Motherwell), Keammar Daley (Preston North End, England); Ricardo Fuller (Stoke City, England), Marlon King (Birmingham, England), Darren Mattocks (Vancouver Whitecaps, USA), Luton Shelton (Karabukspor, Turkey).

On Tuesday, May 15th, the Jamaica Football Federation will introduce members of the Reggae Boyz to the media and sponsors at 11:00 am at the offices of the Jamaica Football Federation. The squad will then travel to the Braco Village Resort and Spa, Rio Bueno, Trelawny, where training will take place ahead of the international friendly against Guyana.

Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday, May 15 at ticket outlets to be announced. Prices for advanced purchase are bleachers (east stand) tickets for $500, while upper grandstand and lower grandstand seats will cost $1,500 and $1,000, respectively. Game day at the gate prices are bleachers $700, upper grandstand $2,000 and lower grandstand $1,500.
    Last edited by Karl; May 15, 2012, 10:44 AM.

This squad look weak on NPL experience.... suspect...

Comment

No Daniel Gordon? Zat Knight?
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Tink is USA side dis.. competition tough to get Reggaeboyz call up !

Comment

Watford pair could benefit Boyz, says defender

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
          Tuesday, May 15, 2012

NYRON Nosworthy believes the defensive partnership comprising himself and Adrian Mariappa at Watford FC could benefit Jamaica in their quest for a place at the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

Both players, born and raised in England to Jamaican parentage, are selected in coach Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore's squad for friendly internationals against Guyana on Friday in Montego Bay and a two-match series against Panama on May 27 in Kingston and June 1, in Panama City.

NOSWORTHY (left)... brings all-round defensive qualities to Reggae Boyz squad

"I think our partnership could be good for Jamaica... in every partnership two strikers need to work together, or a couple of midfielders understanding each other, and the two centre-backs communicating with the goalkeeper," he said.

Nosworthy, whose father is Jamaican, said he and Mariappa have established an "amazing" synergy and understanding for their English Championship side since he moved there on loan from Sunderland in 2011.

"Our partnership started with me coming in on loan there... we work well together, we read each other, we bounce off each other and also respect each other's action. We have a very good understanding of each other on the pitch," said the 31-year-old.

Nosworthy, who got his first call-up for the Reggae Boyz back in 2007 but could not take up the offer due to a hamstring injury, says he will bring to the Boyz outfit all-round defensive abilities.

"I can be very aggressive, but very sensible; I also read the game well... I can also mix it up with some passing," he told the Jamaica Observer.

Certainly, there is no such thing as a sure pick in nowadays football, and Nosworthy is very aware that he will have to work hard for his place against the likes of Mariappa himself, Claude Davis, Damion Stewart, Shavar Thomas and Jermaine Taylor in that centre of defence position.

Nosworthy, who grew up in Brixton, a predominantly black London community, is riding a wave of excitement for his second chance of wearing the Jamaican colours.

"This opportunity is priceless and it's a great honour to get this chance to play international football and the desire is very strong... I am very happy as it has been a long time coming," he beamed.

So pumped up is he, that he's itching for his first training session, which was scheduled for today at Braco in Trelawny.

"I can't wait to get the ball rolling with the first training session... also I am very much looking forward to that match Friday where we can get that match feeling, that match tempo," Nosworthy said.

The former Gillingham player, who had loan spells with Sheffield United and Watford before signing permanently with the latter this year, said among his anxieties is to get a chance to meet the other lads in the team.

"I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and to get the chemistry going," said Nosworthy, who is already in the island for a brief holiday before getting down to business.

He noted that a chat with head coach Whitmore was very interesting as the latter outlined in a "calm" but equally business-like manner his expectations of him.

"The coach is very calm, and he welcomed me and asked me if I am ready and he told me that he expects me to play some good football... I think his management skills are very good too," said Nosworthy.

The Watford defender, who has settled into his new club's first team, said he thinks Jamaica have as good a chance as anyone else to qualify for Brazil, and said he based this in part on the talent pool available to the coaching staff.

"In a serious way I have monitored the progress of Jamaica's football, and I was most delighted to see a lot of the lads from Jamaica coming over to play professionally in England, so with those homegrown talent getting this kind of exposure and with the standard of their play, then that will be good for Jamaica," Nosworthy opined.

He said he has vivid memories of when Jamaica created history and qualified for the France 1998 World Cup, which triggered exhibition of great pride across England.

"It was like a carnival atmosphere, and we just couldn't wait to see them touch the (World Cup) pitch... and we in England supported them a hundred per cent," he reminisced.

Jamaica open their CONCACAF World Cup semi-final qualification campaign against Guatemala at 'The Office' on June 8. They also have in their group Antigua and Barbuda and the USA, who they are yet to beat at this level

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1uwadRtT9
          Last edited by Karl; May 15, 2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Him sound like a Gladyss, but I love his eagerness to play for us.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Now yuh ago mek di man change him mind, ah call di man gladyss.

Comment

you talking about a man who when playing in the Prem. and getting some credits said he had no interest in England he wanted to represent Ja. This was a lifelong dream and at 31 he must be excited.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Some Diaspora seem very passionate about contributing.. sometimes more dan di locals..

All when dem get abused dem persist..

Naivete ?

Comment

mi nuh tink yuh would seh it tuh him face.. him look like him bruk up a few man well..

lol !

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                      Tink is USA side dis.. competition tough to get Reggaeboyz call up !
                      That must explain the inclusion of the player from the Fort Lauderdale Strikers then...
                      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                      - Xavi

Comment

As the man say you wouldn't understand
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Shouldn't you be reporting on the match readiness on your Olympic team right now. Oh I forgot you can't pick up El Salvadore radio where you live.

Comment

suh maudibb...a tek it dat you a guh support de team?...yes?
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

do you support yuh babylon team ?

Comment

Working...
                              X