X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14th defeat How long as King Kenny got left

Swansea City 1
    • Graham 86
    Liverpool 0Liverpool's Martin Kelly competes for the ball with Swansea's Scott Sinclair at the Liberty Stadium. Photograph: Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

One "King" is dead and another one had a moribund look about him on Sunday night. It was party time at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea City fans celebrating a memorable and unexpectedly successful first season in the Premier League by dressing as Elvis Presley. For Liverpool's "King", however, it all ended with five wins, three draws and 11 defeats from the last 19 league matches, after which Kenny Dalglish has to be on borrowed time as manager.
    After a Sunday newspaper story suggesting he was about to be "kicked upstairs", Dalglish was asked: "Do you think you'll still be in charge in August?" He replied, testily: "I expect the club's owners to have more integrity and dignity than that." In defiance of mountainous evidence to the contrary, he added: " Our performances have been excellent on a lot of occasions. We have to keep believing, keep going and maybe next year the luck will drop in for us."
    Brendan Rodgers offers an interesting contrast. At 39 he is young, with his best years in front of him, which is clearly not the case with Dalglish, at 61. Swansea have finished 11th, Liverpool eighth. The difference between them is five points. The Swans had no big names at the start of the season but several of their players are getting there, notably the goalkeeper and newly-elected player of the year, Michel Vorm, who cost £1.5m from Utrecht and is now coveted by Arsenal, among others. Then there is Danny Graham, the matchwinner here, for whom Rodgers paid Watford £3.5m. Graham finished with 12 goals from 36 league appearances to Andy Carroll's four in 35.
    Rodgers, invited by Spain to attend their preparations for Euro 2012, has made his "Swanselona" team add up to more than the sum of their parts through state of the art coaching and astute man management.
    Dalglish describes Liverpool's record this season as "not bad", claiming that they have been "unlucky" and pointing out that they are back in Europe. Not good would be nearer the mark and he should not need reminding that one of his distinguished predecessors, when asked about the merits of the Uefa Cup [the old equivalent of the Europa League] famously replied: "I don't know, we've never finished low enough to qualify."
    Swansea were the more cohesive unit for most of the match and Gylfi Sigurdsson twice threatened to give them the lead. Doni, deputising for Pepe Reina, thwarted him and further distinguished himself in using his legs to keep out a goalbound shot from Nathan Dyer. Presumably, the end of season factor was behind Mark Halsey's decision not to send off Andy Carroll in added time at the end of the first half after a scuffle that saw him grab Ashley Williams by the throat. The referee opted to book both players.
    For the most part Carroll charged around like a big red fire engine unable to locate the fire but he did provide a highlight for Match of the Day with an overhead kick, executed with his back to goal, which brought an equally stunning response from Vorm.
    Stewart Downing's dire season – no goals, no assists in 36 Premier League appearances – was brought to an end after an hour, when he gave way to Craig Bellamy, and another substitution gave Dirk Kuyt a farewell appearance for Liverpool before moving on, probably back home to the Netherlands. Kuyt quickly supplied a centre from the right which deserved a better fate than Carroll's feeble shot, straight at Vorm.
    Graham showed him how such things should be done with four minutes of normal time remaining, driving home the winner from near the penalty spot from a cross supplied by Angel Rangel. "A fairytale" was how Rogers described the Swan's season. Liverpool followers probably preferred another f-word

What choice Liverpool has? They have invested heavily in his team and unless they have money to spend I don't see how they are going to get a top coach.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Paul, Peter, X i knew Downing's season was poor but these stats are incredible for a man who was bought to supply the ammunition for Carroll.

Downing's dire season – no goals, no assists in 36 Premier League appearances – was brought to an end after an hour, when he gave way to Craig Bellamy, and another substitution gave Dirk Kuyt a farewell appearance for Liverpool before moving on,

Comment

Time for Kenny Dalglish to go. Better dem call John Barnes to rahtid, at dis rate.

But how will Suarez deal with a black coach?!? All him should just pack him bags and go!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

With City's win, I'll just have to take out my frustrations on my regular beating stick, Loserfools
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Liverpool owners summon Dalglish to Boston for key talks after finishing 37 points behind Manchester City

By Sportsmail Reporter
            PUBLISHED: 15:00, 14 May 2012 | UPDATED: 15:23, 14 May 2012
            Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has jetted to Boston for crunch talks over his future.

After the Reds finished 37 points behind Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City, Dalglish knows they must improve next season.

And he has now flown to the United States with his No 2 Steve Clarke to hold discussions with owners Fenway Sports Group.

Under pressure: Kenny Dalglish has faced strong criticism this season

Although FSG insisted last month that Dalglish retained the support of the owners despite the sacking of director of football Damien Comolli, Liverpool's failure to qualify for the Champions League has left his position under threat.

Principal owner John Henry is desperate to have Liverpool competing at the top of the Premier League and faces a tough decision over the club legend.

Dalglish is still supported by the majority of Liverpool fans and he wants to continue his bid to revive the club's fortunes.
            He responded angrily to suggestions he may not be in charge next season after his side's disappointing Premier League campaign ended with a 1-0 defeat at Swansea.
            After watching Danny Graham's 100th career goal condemn them to an eighth-placed finish, Dalglish was asked if he expected to be in the Anfield hot seat next season. He replied: 'I expect the owners to have more dignity and integrity than to believe a story in a newspaper.'

Flop finish: Liverpool ended the season with a defeat at Swansea

The visitors were outplayed during the first half but posed a greater threat after the break, with Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm making one stunning save to keep out Andy Carroll's acrobatic overhead kick and then making a low stop to deny the £35million striker.
            And Dalglish felt his side had deserved at least a point, but acknowledged their campaign, which ended with Liverpool below local rivals Everton for the first time since 2005, had not been good enough.
            'I think on the second-half performance, the least they deserved was a point,' he said. 'We've got to keep believing and in credit to the players they have kept believing. The passing and moving at times has been excellent and the goalkeeper's save to stop Andy was fantastic. We just have to keep going and maybe next year the luck will change for us.
            'We won't run away from the points tally or hide or say the points tally is satisfactory to anyone who works for or supports Liverpool Football Club. We will face up to reality. The performances have been excellent in a lot of cases but not the points tally, so we will try our best to correct that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1urP37Jro

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              With City's win, I'll just have to take out my frustrations on my regular beating stick, Loserfools
              He he he...here's a test:

Q. How much trophy Manu win dis season?

A. Less dan Liverpool.

"H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

The problem that KD has is that he is showing his stubborness and his continued disconnected stance from reality. Regardless of the reasons for the woeful campaign, the ultimate responsibility has to be his. He went out and spent 120m pounds of the owners money and got an unacceptable return.

As Dunny pointed out, Downing had zero assists and zero goals on the campaign this year. Part of KD's problem is that he doesn't seem to understand that players like Jonjo Shelvey, Jay Spearing and Joe Flannagan are *simply just not top flight material*. They may work at Norwich, Wolves, Bolton and those kinds of clubs but not a club with aspirations for vying for top flight honours. He also fails to understand that Suarez is NEVER going to be any good as a lone striker against any team, girls, boys or donkeys and secondly, Carroll is not the man to play off him (yet). And lastly, our pathetic midfield. It is laughable to see what it looks like now compared to the midfield we had under Rafa - Spearing and Henderson are no Mascherano and Alonso - that's for sure.

Simply put KD's signings have been dismal, his team selections dismal and his adjustments dismal. I am always for giving managers a chance, but KD's time is now past. Time for the legend to go. Thanks for your service Mr. Dalglish.

YNWA
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

he will be there next year. John Henry is known for sticking with managers to turn things around. IF he was going to be fired I doubt he would be heading to Boston. Just a warning shot.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

x nuh have NUTTEN fi seh?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Why are people getting on Kenny's case? I for one think he is doing an excellent job.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

... oh oh here is the set up ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Define Excellent????

Comment

A wah do yuh Sass???? Loserfool got exactly what they demanded in KING Kenny. Now they just need to stick with him and give him a chance to turn the club around.

Hopefully towards League One.
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              he will be there next year. John Henry is known for sticking with managers to turn things around. IF he was going to be fired I doubt he would be heading to Boston. Just a warning shot.
                              We'll see. The difference between baseball and English football is the source of finances. In baseball, you can exist forever with a crappy franchise as long as the stadiums look half-decently filled due to the way they divvy up TV money. Therefore, you can stay with a manager longer. In European football, failure to qualify for the UCL is disastrous to a club's finances and we've now missed it 3 years in a row. The club cannot sustain that level of lowly performance...especially after giving him substantial funds last year to sign trash.

Comment

Working...
                              X