Manchester United manager Ferguson admits being too gung-ho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester United manager Ferguson admits being too gung-ho

Manchester United manager Ferguson admits being too gung-ho in Premier League race

NEVER one to admit he’s wrong, Sir Alex Ferguson has broken tradition by conceding his tactical blunders have cost Manchester United the title.

The champions go into this weekend in real danger of losing their grip on the Premier League trophy as they sit second to Manchester City on goal difference with only one game remaining.
    With Roberto Mancini’s men hosting relegation-threatened QPR on Sunday, and United having a difficult trip to Sunderland, it appears the blue side of Manchester will be celebrating once the curtain comes down on a superb season.

1. Rio Ferdinand and Manchester United needed more protection this season

And that has left ‘Fergie’ in a rather reflective mood for a change, the experienced Scot revealing a more conservative approach like the one employed at the Etihad Stadium would have seen his side retain the title.
    “In the end we just ran out of time, as Mancini made changes to give him five at the back,” said Ferguson, referring to the crucial derby defeat to City last week.
    “It’s the Italian mentality - and maybe we should sometimes go down that road. We could certainly have done with bolting up the game against Everton [United conceded late goals to draw 4-4].
    “If we had done just a fraction of what City did, I would probably be saying quite a different thing.”
    However, Ferguson claims he is still proud of the attacking mentality that has been a hallmark of all his great sides, despite it costing the class of 2012 those two crucial points against the Toffees.
    “It is not in our nature to put up the shutters and I like to think that it is our attacking, adventurous approach that has made United famous,” he added.
    “On balance it’s a policy that has also served us well in terms of trophies. But if we lose the league this year there’s no doubt the pivotal match was the 4-4 draw.”
    Meanwhile, although it looks like the title is City’s, cautious centre-back Joleon Lescott has warned the club’s fans the league hasn’t been won just yet.
    QPR are scrapping for their lives, and Lescott isn’t prepared to take anything for granted, saying: “It’s a massive game at the weekend. It’s not all over yet but, if we could close the title out, it’d be unreal.
    “You dream of these things. I never once thought: ‘Yeah, I’m bound to win the Premier League’. But it was always in my mind. It will be crazy days if we win it. We’ve been nervous at times this season but we deserve to be up there.
    “I’d say to our fans, keep a lid on it this week and let’s not get carried away. If it happens on Sunday, they can celebrate then. It’s in our hands but there’s another vital game to go.”
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

As a fan i had no problem with the approach. After Everton cut the lead to 4-3 a change should have been made. That change didn't come until it was 4-4.

I can appreciate the reflection. Another problem is we didn't have any steel in midfield after Fletcher went out.

Fix it in the summer.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You just don't realize the delight I get from seeing Rio Ferdinand face--after each loss. It's bloody priceless!!

Manchester, England must be a city divided as I type....
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

How many goals did City score this season by "putting up the shutters"?

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
          You just don't realize the delight I get from seeing Rio Ferdinand face--after each loss. It's bloody priceless!!

Manchester, England must be a city divided as I type....
          So it guh ... the amount of winner's medal he has can compensate for any bad feeling after losing a game. I expect him to add one more on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            How many goals did City score this season by "putting up the shutters"?
            I think you're taking it the wrong way bredren. City had De Jong/Barry/Toure ... or sometimes 2 of the 3 sitting in front of your defense. I don't think he was taking a stab at your team he was pointing out that he should have protected his defense the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              I think you're taking it the wrong way bredren. City had De Jong/Barry/Toure ... or sometimes 2 of the 3 sitting in front of your defense. I don't think he was taking a stab at your team he was pointing out that he should have protected his defense the same way.
              So if he wasn't taking a stab at City, why the reference to "the Italian way"?
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                So if he wasn't taking a stab at City, why the reference to "the Italian way"?
                Are you for real? I know if Fergie should say the earth is round you'd insist it was flat.

"“It’s the Italian mentality - and maybe we should sometimes go down that road. We could certainly have done with bolting up the game against Everton [United conceded late goals to draw 4-4]."

How is that taking a stab when thats exactly what was needed against Everton?

Fergie talk suh unuh affi tek offense.

Comment

Are you for real? I know if Fergie should say the earth is round you'd insist it was flat.

"“It’s the Italian mentality - and maybe we should sometimes go down that road. We could certainly have done with bolting up the game against Everton [United conceded late goals to draw 4-4]."

:spin_smilie: Okay Lazie, I guess I'm the one who said "I don't think he was taking a stab at your team he was pointing out that he should have protected his defense the same way." even though the man clearly said ITALIAN MENTALITY. The FA should charge him with racial abuse. Where the hell does he get off on that crap when City are 10 goals ahead of unu in goal difference? :kissteeth: This is why I don't like your manager. He is an underhanded p*ick who uses this kind of mind game innuendo to further his cause...unfortunately, it works with the referees. No class. "Italian mentality..." Eejit.
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Mek Fergie gu way, the night when he meant to go for it he left Valencia, Young and such the likes on the bench and draw fi Ji Sun Park and surrender the title without a fight.LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                      Mek Fergie gu way, the night when he meant to go for it he left Valencia, Young and such the likes on the bench and draw fi Ji Sun Park and surrender the title without a fight.LOL!!
                      Is that the "Italian way"?

Comment

Yeah try play fi draw and get him goose cook.

Comment

we mussi have de same modda an fada... the exact thing struck me in the article " the Italian mentality"... In supposedly "enlightened" UK where political correctness is the order of the day, they let Sir Aslick get away with that??? makes you at least want to go hmmmm...
                          Peter R

Comment

Me woulda seh the same ting cause unuh ugly and bitta alike.....no baba....the haytred run deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppp.
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yuh eva see my pikcha? how yu kno seh mi ugly? yu sure is not de mirror yu lookin at? and where is the "haytred' in my post? I am talking about a comment regardless of who makes it that could be construed as "politically incorrect" especially in light of recent happenings...
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X