The right man got the job, now.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right man got the job, now.......

Now back us! Hodgson calls on nation to get behind England team after signing four-year deal to become boss

By Sportsmail Reporter
    PUBLISHED: 14:08 GMT, 1 May 2012 | UPDATED: 15:32 GMT, 1 May 2012
    Roy Hodgson has called on England fans to get behind his team after being unveiled as the new manager.
    Hodgson has signed a four-year deal, although he will perform a dual role with West Bromwich Albion until the end of the season.
    That will involve planning for England's Euro 2012 campaign, while overseeing the Baggies' final two games against Bolton and Arsenal.
    He said: 'It is a very proud day for me, I'm a very happy man to be offered the chance to manage my country. I'm looking forward to the task ahead.

Focus: Roy Hodgson looks on during his official unveiling at Wembley

All ready? Roy Hodgson smiles at FA chairman David Bernstein during the Wembley press conference

Ready to roll: Roy Hodgson arrives at Wembley on Tuesday lunchtime

ROY'S FIRST ENGLAND GAMES...

FRIENDLIES:

NORWAY (A): Saturday, May 26
    BELGIUM (H): Saturday, June 2

EURO 2012:

FRANCE (N): Monday, June 11
    SWEDEN (N): Friday, June 15
    UKRAINE (N): Tuesday, June 19

'Everyone knows it is not an easy one but I'm hoping that everyone, fans and supporters will get behind the team. It's the team that counts, they go out and win football matches.
    'What I'll do is try to make sure the team is well prepared for the challenge ahead. I'm really looking forward to it.'
    The 64-year-old's first game in charge of his country will be against Norway on May 26 but he acknowledged he did not have much time to settle into the job before Euro 2012.
    He said: 'It's going to be difficult of course but hopefully I've got time. Obviously I've been working here for the last five years so the players are pretty well known to me even though I haven't worked with them all. I've done as much research and spoken to as many people as I can.'
    Hodgson preferred not to answer questions about picking John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in his squad, or the possibility of selecting Steven Gerrard as captain, but was forthcoming about the prospect of Wayne Rooney going to Ukraine and Poland.

Rooney is suspended for England's opening two games, but Hodgson appeared to put to bed any debate about whether the Manchester United striker would be part of the final squad or not.

'I'm looking forward to Wayne Rooney coming to the Euros with us and making a contribution even though he cannot play the first two games,' he said.
    All over: Roy Hodgson is driven away from his interview at Wembley on Monday

Enlarge
    Enlarge

Big plans, Roy? The proposed England boss left the FA headquarters with his 'draft itinerary'

TODAY'S POLL
    Is Roy Hodgson the right choice to manage England?
    Yes
    No
    VOTE

POLL RESULTS

Close
    All polls Click to view yesterday's poll results

Asked about England's prospects at the Euros, Hodgson added: 'England always have to go in tournaments to win them because we are a major football nation. I certainly think the players would be very disappointed if we expected anything less of them than to win the tournament.'

FA chairman David Bernstein, who revealed they decided on Hodgson as their No 1 choice a month ago, said: 'His knowledge of international football is unquestionable.'
    An FA statement read: 'The Football Association is delighted to announce the appointment of Roy Hodgson as England manager.

'Joining from West Bromwich Albion, Hodgson has agreed a four-year deal to become the full-time manager of the Three Lions.

'Hodgson, aged 64, who has won a total of eight league titles in a distinguished career, and coached the national teams of Switzerland, Finland and the United Arab Emirates, met with FA officials at Wembley on Monday.
    'Having taken Switzerland to the FIFA World Cup in 1994 - their first Finals competition for 28 years - Hodgson also achieved a FIFA ranking of third in the world as well as successfully qualifying the team for Euro 96.

'His former clubs include Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Fulham and Liverpool. He has also managed in Norway and Sweden.

'In addition, he has been a regular member of FIFA and UEFA's technical study groups at tournaments.

Right choice: Hodgson's appointment has been endorsed by ex-England manager Sven Goran Eriksson (below)

'Along with his vast experience of international and European football, Hodgson is the only English manager currently working in the top flight to have won the League Managers' Association manager of the year award.'

Hodgson was the surprise first choice for the Football Association ahead of fans and players' favourite Harry Redknapp.
    Snub: Redknapp was the fans' favourite to take the job

Hodgson attended a four-hour meeting yesterday when he met all four members of the Club England board responsible for appointing Fabio Capello's successor.
    Although the meeting broke up just after 7pm without any official statement, discussions were described as positive and Hodgson was pictured leaving Wembley with an itinerary for Euro 2012.
    West Brom are now stepping up their search to find a new manager after Hodgson opted to end his 15-month spell in charge.
    Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace said: 'Roy's appointment as England manager is obviously disappointing news for the club as we would have liked him to sign a new contract, which was in the process of negotiation, and remain as our head coach.
    'But we understand Roy's desire to take the England job and he will leave us after the Arsenal game on May 13 with our best wishes.
    'Of course, with Euro 2012 around the corner, we appreciate that some of Roy's focus over the next 12 days will be on England matters.
    'But we are delighted he will be seeing the season out with us.
    'With the help of the coaching staff, he will prepare the team in his usual, meticulous manner as we finish what has already been a successful season.'
    Peace added: 'The board will now concentrate on the important task of appointing a new head coach to continue our project as we prepare for a third successive season in the Barclays Premier League.

All white on the night: Hodgson will take charge of Scott Parker (above), Wayne Rooney and Co at this summer's championships

REACTION TO ROY'S APPOINTMENT

Ben Foster (on loan at West Brom, and on a 'sabbatical' from international football): 'Really happy for Roy Hodgson, Got to be one of the best coaches in football.'

'We did not want Roy to leave and he will be a tough act to follow.
    'But I want to reassure our supporters that we will do everything possible to identify and appoint the right head coach for this football club.
    'I would also like to thank the FA Chairman, David Bernstein, for the sensitive and professional manner in which he has liaised with me in bringing about Roy's appointment.
    'Everyone here would like to wish Roy, The FA and England all the best for Euro 2012 and beyond.'

ROY HODGSON'S INTERNATIONAL RECORD

SWITZERLAND (1992-1995)

Hodgson took his first international post after impressing in the country's domestic competition with Neuchatel Xamax.

He succeeded in winning qualification to the 1994 World Cup, progressing from a tough group that included Italy and Portugal. His side took four points off the Azzurri, who went on to reach the final.

Hodgson next led the team to qualification for Euro '96 but left before the tournament to take charge at Inter Milan. His final game was a 3-1 friendly defeat to England.

At their peak, FIFA ranked Hodgson's Switzerland No 3 in the world.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (2002-2004)

Hodgson returned to the global stage at the unlikely outpost of the UAE, where he took over responsibility for both the national and Olympic sides.

He remained for 20 months, taking the side to one tournament - finishing fifth in the Gulf Cup.

He later said of the experience: 'That was a period where I didn't know where my career was going. But all these experiences enrich you and it was good to know I could get my message to players who many say are uncoachable.'

FINLAND (2006-2007)

Hodgson took on the task of leading Finland to their first major international tournament and was close to achieving that unlikely feat in qualification for Euro 2008.

He won just six of his matches in charge of the side, but all of those victories came in competitive fixtures.

Notable results included a 3-1 victory at eventual group winners Poland and a 1-1 draw with Portugal.

Finland finished just three points away from qualification but Hodgson opted not to sign a new deal, instead resurfacing at Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1tdJ2AO5b

" right man got the job.."

until England start losing.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Low level coach.

Comment

Working...
      X