Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glazer gets last laugh?

Glazer gets last laugh?

A decade ago, British soccer fans roundly booed Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer as he took control of the venerable club Manchester United. And critics quickly derided the debt-heavy deal as financially unwise.

"I can't see from my point of view why it is such a good business deal," Alan Sugar, prominent businessman and host of BBC television's The Apprentice, said in 2005, adding that Glazer had paid a "very full price."

No one is questioning Glazer's financial acumen lately, reports Jeff Harrington. Manchester United's worth soared 20 percent this year to a stunning $2.24 billion, according to the latest valuations by Forbes. That solidifies its status as the most valuable sports franchise on the globe, leaving American wannabes like the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys in the dust (about $385 million behind by last count). According to a Forbes' analysis, when Glazer gradually took over the team between 2003 and 2005, Man U was valued at $1.4 billion.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
    Glazer gets last laugh?

A decade ago, British soccer fans roundly booed Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer as he took control of the venerable club Manchester United. And critics quickly derided the debt-heavy deal as financially unwise.

"I can't see from my point of view why it is such a good business deal," Alan Sugar, prominent businessman and host of BBC television's The Apprentice, said in 2005, adding that Glazer had paid a "very full price."

No one is questioning Glazer's financial acumen lately, reports Jeff Harrington. Manchester United's worth soared 20 percent this year to a stunning $2.24 billion, according to the latest valuations by Forbes. That solidifies its status as the most valuable sports franchise on the globe, leaving American wannabes like the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys in the dust (about $385 million behind by last count). According to a Forbes' analysis, when Glazer gradually took over the team between 2003 and 2005, Man U was valued at $1.4 billion.

(continue)
    Last laugh? Didn't the reports indicate that the increase in value was mainly down to the money handed out for UCL? What has the Glkazer done to contribute to that? Last I checked the enormous debt they saddled on the club to take over the club is still there.

"During the 2010-11 season Manchester United reaped $192 million in broadcasting revenue, 22% higher than the previous season. The club’s run last year to the final of the Champions League, where it lost to Barcelona, commanded a $80 million payout from UEFA" (Forbes).
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Related to broadcast rights.

Apple Will Push Value Of EPL Television Rights Above $3 Billion A Year

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...illion-a-year/
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

iPitch: Apple Prepares Bid For EPL TV Rights

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futu...-epl-tv-rights
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
        X