Reno are end-of-round champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno are end-of-round champs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Reno are end-of-round champs</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Monday, March 05, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>National Under-20 player Draion McNain's extra-time strike delivered Reno from their 12-year drought at winning a trophy at the top flight by edging Harbour View 1-0 in the second end-of-round final of the Wray &amp; Nephew National Premier League at STETHS in St Elizabeth yesterday.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=125 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Draion McNain scored the all-important goal. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>It was Reno's first trophy since they were crowned national champions in 1994/95 when they defeated Constant Spring 3-1 on aggregate to lift the then National League title.
    For the winner, McNain received a pin-point pass from Fabian Blake inside the 18-yard box, before beating Harbour View's goalie Dwayne Miller to his left in the 120th minute.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Blake had earlier dispossessed Harbour View's captain Lovel Palmer midway the losers' half, proceeded to dribble past two defenders before playing the ball through to the Manning High School daCosta Cup player.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I felt very, very good to score this winning goal for my team and end our 12-year drought without a trophy. Words cannot explain how I feel right now," said a beaming McNain.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Reno's technical director Wendell Downswell was pleased with the team's effort. "We are very excited. I couldn't have asked for a better performance from my team...," he said.
    Harbour View's Lenny Hyde said his team's loss was due mainly to the scarcity in goal-scoring chances. "I think it was an excellent game for both teams, but we did not create as much chances as we wanted to," said the former Jamaica winger.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In addition to the trophy, Jamaica Football Federation president Crenston Boxhill also presented a cheque for $165,000 to the Westmoreland-based Reno team. Harbour View, who yesterday celebrated 33 years as a football club, received $110,000 for their effort.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the second Under-21 end-of-round final at the same venue, Tivoli Gardens defeated 10-man Portmore United 1-0 courtesy of a Damion Gordon's 82nd minute strike. Tivoli collected a trophy and $70,000, while Portmore took home $55,000.
    See full match report in tomorrow's Observer.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Reno are end-of-round champs

CONGRATULATIONS to Reno! (tup)(Clap)(Clap)

I am wondering about our youth players in the NPL; are they being paid as professionals?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<DIV>What do you mean by "youth", the U-21s?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Most are not. The weekly minimum wage is something like $3200/week. Most are not making that much. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Now this does not mean the clubs are breaking the law. The money that is being paid to them is really just a stipend, as they are amateurs.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/5/2007)<DIV>What do you mean by "youth", the U-21s?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>
        Under 23!

Wondering how that affects composition of our PanAm &amp; Olympic team?

Not too sure what the current FIFA &amp; Olympic regulations are? ...and, cannot look it up now!

Comment

The regulations are clear - those competitions are for amateurs, which means they are not being paid a salary. In Jamaica's case, they make less than Ja$3200 per week.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/5/2007)The regulations are clear - those competitions are for amateurs, which means they are not being paid a salary. In Jamaica's case, they make less than Ja$3200 per week.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X