Wenger accuses Wigan of time-wasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger accuses Wigan of time-wasting

Arsene Wenger branded Roberto Martinez's Wigan side "disrespectful" for what the Arsenal boss viewed as a spell of time-wasting during Monday's 2-1 defeat at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners found themselves two goals down inside the first ten minutes thanks to strikes from Franco di Santo and Jordi Gomez. From that moment on, despite Thomas Vermaelen halving the deficit, Wenger felt Wigan spent the remaining 80 minutes running down the clock.

Goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi was booked for time-wasting in injury-time, but in general play Wigan created the clearer-cut opportunities in an impressive display that leaves them five points clear of the relegation zone.

Frustration was evident in the Arsenal camp at the final whistle, with Wenger failing to shake Martinez's hand while Robin van Persie squared up to Gary Caldwell. And Wenger insists the game was not played in the right spirit by the visitors.

"It is disrespectful to people who pay big money to watch the game," Wenger said.

"I told the fourth official, 'You know what, their goalkeeper will do it all game because he did it after 10 minutes and, with three minutes to go, he will get a yellow card'. That is exactly what happened.

"We are sorry we did not play well - but that the referees do not act on it is not right.

"I do not want to look for excuses. I congratulate Wigan, they did well, but whether it's tonight or in another game, the referee has to act."

The result capped a bad night for Arsenal, who lost Mikel Arteta with what Wenger described as a "serious" ankle problem, while Jack Wilshere is a confirmed absentee for the Euro 2012 Championship.
    Last edited by Karl; April 17, 2012, 08:41 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Cho man ... sometimes you have to simply accept yuh beaten. Everytime Wenger lose him bitch bout something. Yet again he refused to shake the hand of the manager that beat him. As for Van Persie ... poor sportsmanship.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Arsene Wenger branded Roberto Martinez's Wigan side "disrespectful" for what the Arsenal boss viewed as a spell of time-wasting during Monday's 2-1 defeat at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners found themselves two goals down inside the first ten minutes thanks to strikes from Franco di Santo and Jordi Gomez. From that moment on, despite Thomas Vermaelen halving the deficit, Wenger felt Wigan spent the remaining 80 minutes running down the clock.

Goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi was booked for time-wasting in injury-time, but in general play Wigan created the clearer-cut opportunities in an impressive display that leaves them five points clear of the relegation zone.

Frustration was evident in the Arsenal camp at the final whistle, with Wenger failing to shake Martinez's hand while Robin van Persie squared up to Gary Caldwell. And Wenger insists the game was not played in the right spirit by the visitors.

"It is disrespectful to people who pay big money to watch the game," Wenger said.

"I told the fourth official, 'You know what, their goalkeeper will do it all game because he did it after 10 minutes and, with three minutes to go, he will get a yellow card'. That is exactly what happened.

"We are sorry we did not play well - but that the referees do not act on it is not right.

"I do not want to look for excuses. I congratulate Wigan, they did well, but whether it's tonight or in another game, the referee has to act."

The result capped a bad night for Arsenal, who lost Mikel Arteta with what Wenger described as a "serious" ankle problem, while Jack Wilshere is a confirmed absentee for the Euro 2012 Championship.
      Ahem?

...we lost as our players took the field with a mind-set of "cho...wi win dis aread'.

Just look at the response after each of Wigan's goals?
      Good work on getting into the final third...and other good attacking positions followed by an individual player 'hogging the ball', trying to beat and beat and beat...while failing to use free supporting player and then losing the ball...not to dismiss 3 excellent saves by the Wigan 'keeper...but the number of times we got into attacking areas and coughed up the ball was amazing

There was also the casual manner in which the ball was handled...the left back and our player wide on the right were guilty...happened more often that others of our many guilty players...of over running the ball and losing same... over running the ball at 'low pace' = a dun cah attitude!!!.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wenger is such a poor loser.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Wenger never have to fight for survival yet so him can gwaan talk.
          When you have to fight for your Premiership life you use all these little tricks you can find.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Cho man ... sometimes you have to simply accept yuh beaten. Everytime Wenger lose him bitch bout something. Yet again he refused to shake the hand of the manager that beat him. As for Van Persie ... poor sportsmanship.
            Agree, Van Persie's actions were disappointing!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Agree, Van Persie's actions were disappointing!
              What a t'ing if that was Suarez who did what RVP did??? The newspapers would'a sellout!!!
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Wenger is such a poor loser.
                Is him you learn from?
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

what did he do? use a racial slur then refuse to shake the victim's hand?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    what did he do? use a racial slur then refuse to shake the victim's hand?
                    Nice try. When dem throw you in jail fi look di wrong way pon a white woman - true she seh so - then come talk. See how fas' u shake fi her hand.

Comment

i just saw this thread... it is funny as I mentioned time-wasting as one of those
                      tactics that could be construed as unfair by some... in the same vein that a deliberate handball might be considered unfair...

Whether AW is justified to complain I can't say not having seen the match, but IMO in the last two minutes of the match they should stop the clock, and a Suarez type handball should be punished with red and an automatic goal awarded.
                      Peter R

Comment

di way unnu want change the game bwoy mi think a robot a play to rhatid.

Man have fi waste a little time when them come under pressure. Nobody never tell Arsenal fi waste time fi most a the game. A so the the thing set.

Wasting a little time is a good tatics. What next? you can go to the flag pole with the ball? If it is too blatant then the player get a card. The ref have to use his judgement and he can also talk to the team via the captain but you can't speed up the game because Arsenal want you to.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I am talking about taking 20 seconds to take a throw in or goal kick free-kick etc. My comment has nothing to do with AW but about the game in general...stopping the clock would level the playing field for everyone in the last couple minutes of a game... man can tek ball to flag all him want... just dont have t'ree man pick up the ball fi tek trow in and finally it is taken by a fourth...

What about my awarding of a goal for deliberate handball on the line... FIFA might actually have to use technology for that...

I don't see these developments taking place but, it's a rum bar man cyan suggest any foolishness
                          Peter R

Comment

I don't see these developments taking place but, it's a rum bar man cyan suggest any foolishness

True that still

My thing is the big team them alway a bawl bout time wasting and tatics like Stoke City. As a lickkle team you have fi use them tatics deh fi clip them wing still.

If a man take too long the ref can give them a caard but why only use the time wasting in the last two few minutes? wha happen to the other 88, How comes Wigan find so much time fi put two inna them net? LOL.

All mi know if you a big side and me a lead you going into the last me a go find a way fi hold you off too as long as mi nah "Cheat".

Comment

Nce try at what? I never saw the game nor the RVP infraction\behavior but because of the attempt to compare the 2 this is why I asked the question.

Not sure what to kill a mockingbird have to do with this but you should know best

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X