• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrae Campbell off for trials in Norway

Andrae Campbell off for trials in Norway

BY LIVINGSTON SCOTT Observer staff reporter
    Thursday, April 12, 2012

CAMPBELL … this is my second chance and I intend to make the best of this opportunity, so I will go there and try to secure a contract

Butler, a former Portuguese and French League player, said he believes Campbell has all the attributes to succeed in Europe.

“He’s a very simple player with good technique and he has the right attitude... we watched him in the Waterhouse-Boys’ Town game and I thought he was impressive,” Butler told the Jamaica Observer via telephone from Norway.

“But left-footed players are rare and most clubs are on the hunt to find good left-sided players... and this will also be a great opportunity and a chance for him to play for a club in Europe,” he added.

According to Butler, Campbell will reside with him during the trial and will train with the first team, and he is confident that once the player comes in and work hard with the right attitude, he can make the breakthrough.

He also disclosed that other locals may follow Campbell in the near future as he is keeping his eyes on a number of possibilities.

“I like Joel Senior of Harbour View, he is a player who shows good work rate... and also Xavian Virgo (Boys’ Town) showed much potential... so hopefully by the latest June-July, we can get those two players on a trial here,” Butler noted.

Meanwhile, Campbell, who will be venturing on his second trial stint to the Scandinavian country, is confident of landing a deal this time around.

“This is my second chance and I intend to make the best of this opportunity, so I will go there and try to secure a contract... because we local players have to think this way, so we can help ourselves and make our family better,” he reasoned.

The young defender says he expects a very difficult two weeks, but insisted that with “hard work anything is possible”.

“I just have to remain disciplined, committed and be hungry for it... and once you have all those ingredients, then the sky’s the limit,” said Campbell.

Among the Jamaicans who have had stints at Nottoden FK are Harbour View’s Fabian ‘Koji’ Taylor and Boys’ Town’s Oneil ‘Bigga’ Thompson.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1rrG8Xvfr
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Have to give the various scouts, agents, managers and clubs a 'BIG UP' for the increased number of opportunities being recently found for our local players.

FORWARD!

Here's wishing young Mr. Andre Campbell success!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Have to give the various scouts, agents, managers and clubs a 'BIG UP' for the increased number of opportunities being recently found for our local players.

FORWARD!

Seconded. Me nah go lie. These youngsters really have opportunities that would never have come our way as youths growing up in Jamaica.

When I was a youngster, the idea of playing in Europe was a dream for all of us boys, but it would never have come to pass no matter how good any of us were. The minute dem know you black, brown or chiney you corn get mash.

Check out this link (1978) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XTAMsgAdsII when two great black players Cyril Regis and Laurie Cunningham of WBA destroyed Manu** at OT.

But more importantly, hear how their coach Ron Atkinson referred to them when asked who should be "MOTM" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...sgAdsII#t=330s) what chance would the average ya'd man have with that mentality?

Mo, as I'm sure you already know, the first black man to play for England men's team was Viv Anderson in 1978, 68 years after Uruguay's first international black player. SIXTY EFFIN EIGHT YEARS!!! Laurie Cunningham was the first black man to play for England at any level in 1977 (U21)...he died in Spain at age 33 in a car crash. He's the one that rocked the left foot strike in the video. MOTM Regis was born in French Guiana but as a naturalized Englishman played a handful of games for England in the early 80's.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

FORWARD!

Hats off to everyone involved i would also like to say big up to people like Ricardo Gardner, Ricardo Fuller, Tyrone Marshall ,Donovan Ricketts and all the other Jamaicans who have played in foriegn leagues. These are the guys that have open the eyes of the rest of the world to let them know that there is a lot of talent on the Island. I also want to mention the impact Rudolph Austin has made in the Nordic League. He's been a real success and a credit to Jamaica. I know he is not always flavour of the month with all Jamaicans but he is highly rated and is one of the reasons why others are getting opportunities.

Comment

..."coloured front people"...
          Peter R

Comment

I was googling Cyril (Cyrille) regis and found this short article...

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/mi...6331-27613822/
            Peter R

Comment

Wow!!! Paul how did you happen to find that? (Serious question)
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Wow!!! Paul how did you happen to find that? (Serious question)
                It was sent to me in January during the Suarez racism accusation by that lyin' cowardly likkle peaya peaya french dwarf by a Chelsea-supporting friend of mine who claimed that if Evra's accusation of Suarez was "abuse", the treatment those guys like Regis and Cunningham got in those days was "murdah".

On his debut for England, Regis received a letter that read: "If you go to Wembley and put on an England shirt you'll get one of these through your knees"...in the envelope was a bullet. I should send a letter to Evra that says "If you go to Anfield and pull any stunts, you'll get one of these in your forehead" (and enclose a rotten egg). Times have changed afterall.
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  ..."coloured front people"...
                  interestingly enough - the manager that said that - ron atkinson - was the man who Slur Fartlick replaced at OT. Lucky for Evra he wasn't around the great big sh*thouse when that dude was in charge. In Atkinson's defense, he had 3 black players starting in his line up at WBA who regularly had to put up with racism in the early '80s. As Cyrille Regis said, if the FA wanted to "kick it out" (racism) back then, they'd have had to clear out half the stadium. They got it all - monkey chants, bananas, death threats...you name it. Those of us who dreamed of playing in Europe as little boys during the 70's really had no idea what a hornet's nest football was for black players in those times. A guy like Regis must look at the Evra/Suarez affair and jes' laugh...

Comment

He may well laugh but not necessarily for the reasons you are trying to push. You do realize that in your attempt to make excuses for Suarez you are now comparing racist actions 40 years ago to what is acceptable now. You sound like you are saying that because 40 years ago it was much worse what you and yours consider mild today is acceptable. I wonder if you would make this argument in any other circumstance?

Comment

Rudi, Did you follow the zillion posts that were made about the Suarez/Evra incident on this forum? If you did I am surprised at the conclusion you come to regarding Paul's intent, if you didn't well, I guess I kind of understand...
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                        He may well laugh but not necessarily for the reasons you are trying to push. You do realize that in your attempt to make excuses for Suarez you are now comparing racist actions 40 years ago to what is acceptable now. You sound like you are saying that because 40 years ago it was much worse what you and yours consider mild today is acceptable. I wonder if you would make this argument in any other circumstance?
                        A couple of things:

1. I am not making excuses for Suarez. I have said repeatedly that if anyone reads the FA report, the entire case against him was a sham. NO ONE (maybe you will be the first) has been able to answer this very simple question: If Suarez was guilty of racial abuse, why was he not charged by the authorities? It is illegal to make racists comments in England, as JT is finding out.

2. I am not saying anything about "mild [racism]" equating to "acceptable". That is pure misinterpretation on your part. The racism Evra accused Suarez of was nothing to what I experienced as a player, and I laugh not because of me accepting it, but because I read the report and realise that this guy is an coward who couldn't keep his story straight. He made a huge deal over a simple misinterpretation on his part and was too chicken to admit it. And to be clear, I speculated that Regis would laugh not for any other reason than what he had to put up with was far greater than what Evra did; it is no different than when I laugh when my children ask me why I used to watch "I Love Lucy"...in their mind...I could have just changed the channel back when we only had JBC.

3. Lastly, to answer your question "I wonder if you would make this argument in any other circumstance?" -- I would make the argument that I have made here countless times regardless of who the accused was. As I have said before, unless all of us are willing to live by a standard where one man's word (Evra's) ALONE is enough to "convict" us, then we should NEVER accept that as enough evidence. I wouldn't want that for me, and I wouldn't want that for you...why should I want it for Suarez, or Sir Alex for that matter? They used to lynch black men in the American south for rape based on a "victim's" word alone. We can't condone that no matter who the accused is. We have to be fair or else we can't complain when the same tactics are used against us.

PM

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          I was googling Cyril (Cyrille) regis and found this short article...

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/mi...6331-27613822/
                          Interesting - was he in the car with Cunningham when Cunningham died? It seems unclear because he said "if we weren't wearing our seat belts WE would have died".

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                            Interesting - was he in the car with Cunningham when Cunningham died? It seems unclear because he said "if we weren't wearing our seat belts WE would have died".
                            No he wasn't in the car when Cunningham died, both were involved in a car crash two years prior to Cunningham's fatal accident!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                              No he wasn't in the car when Cunningham died, both were involved in a car crash two years prior to Cunningham's fatal accident!!
                              Wow...what a ting. Very sad. Those guys were something else...great ballers.

Comment

Working...
                              X