Another Reggae Boy playing...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Reggae Boy playing...........

at the top of thier game-;LEE WILLIAMSON(Sheffield United)

MATCH REPORT: Sheffield United 4 Chesterfield 1

Keep calm: Ched Evans slots home his second half penalty to put the Blades in the lead

By James Shield Sheffield United
    Published on Thursday 29 March 2012 07:52

AN ATTACKING master class from Ched Evans propelled Sheffield United back into League One’s automatic promotion places last night.

Danny Wilson, the United manager, has loaded his side with creative talent since taking charge at Bramall Lane 10 months ago.

But, as John Sheridan’s Chesterfield discovered to their cost, none of the options at Wilson’s disposal are quite as potent as the former Manchester City protégé who claimed the first senior hat-trick of his domestic career in 15 explosive second-half minutes.

United, nudging arch-rivals Sheffield Wednesday back into third with seven matches of the campaign remaining, seemed destined to endure an awkward evening against opponents who, before the break at least, demonstrated enough to suggest they will not go down without a fight.

But Evans, taking his tally for the season to 30, had different ideas and swung the contest decisively in the South Yorkshire club’s favour after Franck Moussa had earlier cancelled-out Lee Williamson’s opener.

Chesterfield remain rooted to the bottom of the table.

However, despite seeing their soft underbelly exposed by Evans’ prowess, they should take some comfort from the fact they are unlikely to encounter such a ruthless striker again this term.

Over 20 years have passed since Wilson and Sheridan first pooled their resources in Sheffield Wednesday’s midfield.

But, despite being polar opposites as players, the two men share a common bond.

The free-flowing, expansive football they encourage their respective charges to employ was in evidence throughout an absorbing encounter.

However, it was United who possessed the greater cutting edge and so ultimately prevailed.

Quick to compliment his old pal on Chesterfield’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy success three days earlier, Wilson had nevertheless warned that United’s goodwill would not stretch to the pitch.

United heeded their manager’s call by starting firmly on the front foot with Evans and Kevin McDonald both launching powerful runs forward.

But, until Matthew Lowton forced a fine reaction save from Tommy Lee after nearly half an hour, it was Sheridan’s men who possessed the greater ingenuity.

Craig Westcarr, one of two changes to the eleven which had started Sunday’s capital showpiece, tested the resolve of a United defence missing Harry Maguire (virus) with some intricate touches while Jordan Bowery looked to take a more direct route to goal.

Wilson admitted he had resisted the temptation to fuel Chesterfield’s post-match celebrations by dispatching some complimentary champagne to Wembley following their success over Swindon Town.

There were no signs of lethargy from the visitors with Bowery and Josh Thompson both worrying United goalkeeper Steve Simonsen.

But no need for Machiavellian gestures of goodwill either thanks to Evans’ superb second-half master class.

Nevertheless, Richard Cresswell was inches away from connecting with a Lee Williamson set-piece midway through the opening period with the midfielder following suit at the far post when Evans attempted to turn provider soon after.

Williamson has emerged as one of United’s most influential figures in recent weeks and it was his perfectly executed pass which created the evening’s first real chance of note.

With England under-21 and Olympic coach Stuart Pearce watching from the stands, Lowton showed a deftness of touch to bring the ball under control but Lee proved his equal.

Bowery sent Simonsen scampering across his line with a curling strike which flew inches wide before Thompson also went close following a well-worked corner routine.

But fittingly it was Williamson who briefly stopped Chesterfield’s revival in its tracks when he found the roof of the net with a thunderous 38th minute shot after Stephen Quinn, Marcus Williams and Evans had combined.

United’s opponents had demonstrated their durability beneath the iconic arch and they obliged again when Moussa’s 43rd minute equaliser prompted an inquest in the host’s hastily reshuffled rearguard.

Neill Collins, berating those around him after Westcarr’s assist, clearly had concerns about the amount of space the on-loan Leicester midfielder had been afforded.

But there was no doubt about the quality of the finish.

Unlike the call from referee Simon Hooper which resulted in Evans powering home from the spot three minutes after the re-start.

The Wales international was clearly tripped as he rolled Alex Mendy following a corner.

However the incident appeared to have occurred outside of the box.

Only a stray pass from Evans prevented Cresswell from extending United’s lead as the action ebbed and flowed.

Indebted to Lowton for denying the dangerous Bowery, United ruthlessly seized the initiative with Evans converting Williamson’s 60th minute set-piece before claiming his 30th goal of a remarkable season moments later from McDonald’s excellent slide-rule pass.

SHEFFIELD UNITED: Simonsen 7, Lowton 7, Collins 7, Hill 6, Williams 6, Williamson 8, McDonald 6, Doyle 6, Quinn 7 (O’Halloran 82), Evans 8 (Beattie 78), Cresswell 7 (Hoskins 61). Not used: Howard, Egan.

CHESTERFIELD: Lee 6, Trotman 6, Thompson 7, Allott 6 (Randall 69), Westcarr 7 (Boden 69), Mendy 6, Hurst, Bowery 7 (Ajose 69), Talbot 6, Smith 6, Moussa 7. Not used: Whitaker, Ridehalgh.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inlin...636156,00.html

Comment

Has he ever played for Jamaica?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        Has he ever played for Jamaica?
        He was called up for the last World Cup qualifying campaign but did not feature due to injury:-

Foreign legion's new faces

published: Saturday | June 7, 2008

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Simon Ford in action for the Reggae Boyz against St Vincent and the Grenadines.

THE FOREIGN legion in the Reggae Boyz squad bidding for a World Cup appearance in South Africa 2010 got a pair of new faces ahead of the World Cup qualifiers, which begin next week.

Joining home-grown overseas-based players such as Ricardo Gardner, Ricardo Fuller and Luton Shelton were UK-born Simon Ford and Lee Williamson, both of Jamaican parents. Ford made his debut on Tuesday in Jamaica's 5-1 win against St Vincent and the Grenadines and played reasonably well though, by his own admission, he didn't have much to do. Williamson, who picked up a thigh injury during the training camp, was relegated to the sideline, but is champing at the bit to get a piece of the action in a Jamaica uniform.

Happy to play

Williamson .. sidelined by injury.

"I'm not happy at all (that I couldn't play). I came here to play football and play as many games as I can," said the Watford midfielder who turns 26 today. "Unfortunately, I picked up an injury. But I've put it behind me and looking forward to the next game."

For Ford, who plays for Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premier League, the reality of his long-time dream sunk in when he stood in front of 10,000 fans listening to the national anthem.

"I felt proud and honoured to play in a Jamaica uniform for the first time. It really hit home when I heard the national anthem and then I realised where I am and what kind of game it was," said the 26-year-old defender.

In Jamaica's successful 1998 World Cup campaign, four England-born players were initially in the squad - Robbie Earle, Deon Burton, Paul Hall and Fitzroy Simpson. In this campaign, first-timers Williamson and Ford join Marlon King, Burton, Richard Langley and Jamal Campbell-Ryce as the England-born players in the squad.

Ford, whose father is from St Thomas and mother from Manchester, had expressed an interest in playing for Jamaica as far back as 2006. He got his break when the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) summoned Simpson to submit a report on him.

Over the past two years, Ford has battled several injuries and has been through knee and hip surgeries. He said his focus was on returning to his best and working towards match fitness.

"I thought I was OK," Ford said of his performance on Tues-day night.

Nothing too special. I just tried to keep it simple. There's definitely more to come. I just need to build my fitness and get up to the pace of it."

Both players were in England when Jamaica qualified for the 1998 World Cup in France and, because of their Jamaican roots, kept a close eye on the nation's qualifiers and first World Cup appearance.

Means everything

Veteran Ian Goodison (right) was Jamaica's best player against SVG, according to René Simoes.

"I know what it meant to my family and people in London, which has a big Jamaican community - it meant everything to them, so obviously over here it would have meant 10 times more," said Ford.

"Hopefully, I can be a part of something like that and bring back good times to the country."

Williamson said he closely followed the exploits of 1998 World Cup qualifying hero and close friend Burton.

"I followed Deon because he used to play for Derby County and that's where I was born, so I was close to Deon then and I followed them and it was exciting and it's always something I wanted to do - play in the World Cup," said Williamson.

"To see someone like Deon, who has lived more or less next door to me, go on and get to the World Cup in '98, I want to follow him and do the same in 2010."

Comment

Lee Williams scored is 12th goal from midfield to cap a man of the match performance:-

Blades keep foot on the gas

Last updated: 14th April 2012

Evans: Bagged the Blades' third goal
          Related links

Teams

Sheffield United came from behind to beat Leyton Orient 3-1 at Bramall Lane to strengthen their grip on second place.
          Kevin Lisbie put the visitors in front, but goals from Lee Williamson, Michael Doyle and Ched Evans gave the Blades their sixth straight win.
          After some early pressure from the home side Orient took a 12th-minute lead when goalkeeper Jamie Jones' clearance found Lisbie, who nipped in ahead of Harry Maguire before firing past home goalkeeper Steve Simonsen.
          Lisbie dragged a shot wide before Williamson equalised three minutes before the break after Evans had squared to him inside the penalty area. Jones got a hand to his shot, but could not keep the ball out.
          Doyle found the net with a low drive from around 20 yards in the 54th minute after receiving a short pass from Williamson
          and the visitors were down to 10 men in the 61st minute when Ryan Dickson was sent-off following a wild challenge on Williamson.
          Evans completed the scoring in the 83rd minute after surging into the area and firing past Jones for his 35th goal of the season

Comment

Working...
          X