• Last time...

Vieira: Refs favour United

FRENCHMAN reopens war of words with United with referee favouritism jibe

Read more
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Vieira is wide of the mark about referees favouring United

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qSvlBfeB
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Tim Long analyses the incorrect “big decisions” made at Old Trafford this season and says that, out of 14 wrong decisions this season, only seven have been in their favour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...y-Patrick.html
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

First these two guys are referees posing as analysts so I take what they say with a pound of salt and according to my "googling" the game v Arsenal was back on the 28th not the 27th as he (Long says) and so I question his thoroughness...

but him mussi tek man fi eediat... to say it is fifty-fity is downright misleading as IMO you have to take the context of the games in mind in order to assess whether it favoured MU or the opponent... i am assuming his analysis is correct with respect to whether an error was made for my comments.

The game vs Arsenal he shouldn't even mention... I write off those two against MU who kicked Arse 8-2; the ref probably took pity. My verdict, no consequence.

The next game v Chelsea which MU WON 3-1 and TWO offside goals were allowed in MU's favour vs a "potential red (not a penalty as he clearly indicates those). Verdict" favour MU.

The next match in favour of MU don't count eider... MU get 6! ref tekkin pity.: verdict NO consequence.

Newcastle game, you have a case as the penalty allowed for a 1-1 draw. Verdict Opponent favoured.

December 26 another blowout game 5-0 and MU still get two call in dem fava including a penalty and a red...verdict fava MU.

Against Blackburn, MU have a case as a penalty was not given v Blackbrn and MU lose 3-2. Verdict favour opponent.

The game against Bolton MU win 3-0...ref tek pity again on opponent IMO so call it a 4-0 win if it makes some happy. No consequence.

Against WBA MU win 2-0 and the opponents are denied a penalty... again this favours MU, close game opponent denied an opportunity to get foot in door. Verdict favour MU.

And of course, against Fulham no penalty given v MU and they win 1-0. Verdict Favour MU.

So IMO just looking at individuals fouls and calls given or not given DO NOT tell the full story. By my count of the 9 matches in question, 4 favoured MU, 2 opponent and three had no bearing on the outcome... so to try and paint a 50-50 picture is blatantly misleading IMO.
        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Vieira is wide of the mark about referees favouring United

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qSvlBfeB
          Graham "three yellows" Poll proves the exact opposite to the headline - i.e. that Viera is probably more on the mark than wide of it. How on God's green earth can a ref make this statement: "Subconsciously, though, referees know that if they give a soft penalty against one of the big sides they will be headline news, and none of them wants that." - WTF!!!??? He's saying that "headline news" drives a ref's decision on the pitch!!??

A penalty is a penalty - there ain't no "hard" or "soft" about it - but even more important is that he is really implying is that there is a "subconscious" predisposition to NOT calling penalties against the big sides at home, whether "soft", "hard" or "otherwise"...unbelievable.

:scratch_me_head_top:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qTGuN1fS
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            First these two guys are referees posing as analysts so I take what they say with a pound of salt and according to my "googling" the game v Arsenal was back on the 28th not the 27th as he (Long says) and so I question his thoroughness...

but him mussi tek man fi eediat... to say it is fifty-fity is downright misleading as IMO you have to take the context of the games in mind in order to assess whether it favoured MU or the opponent... i am assuming his analysis is correct with respect to whether an error was made for my comments.

The game vs Arsenal he shouldn't even mention... I write off those two against MU who kicked Arse 8-2; the ref probably took pity. My verdict, no consequence.

The next game v Chelsea which MU WON 3-1 and TWO offside goals were allowed in MU's favour vs a "potential red (not a penalty as he clearly indicates those). Verdict" favour MU.

The next match in favour of MU don't count eider... MU get 6! ref tekkin pity.: verdict NO consequence.

Newcastle game, you have a case as the penalty allowed for a 1-1 draw. Verdict Opponent favoured.

December 26 another blowout game 5-0 and MU still get two call in dem fava including a penalty and a red...verdict fava MU.

Against Blackburn, MU have a case as a penalty was not given v Blackbrn and MU lose 3-2. Verdict favour opponent.

The game against Bolton MU win 3-0...ref tek pity again on opponent IMO so call it a 4-0 win if it makes some happy. No consequence.

Against WBA MU win 2-0 and the opponents are denied a penalty... again this favours MU, close game opponent denied an opportunity to get foot in door. Verdict favour MU.

And of course, against Fulham no penalty given v MU and they win 1-0. Verdict Favour MU.

So IMO just looking at individuals fouls and calls given or not given DO NOT tell the full story. By my count of the 9 matches in question, 4 favoured MU, 2 opponent and three had no bearing on the outcome... so to try and paint a 50-50 picture is blatantly misleading IMO.
            Good analysis Pedro!
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Good analysis; question is should we take it with a pinch or a pound of salt. been saying for ages big clubs are least likely to have the big match changing/ championship deciding decisions for what ever reason go against them. Just the way things are.

Comment

"The game vs Arsenal he shouldn't even mention... I write off those two against MU who kicked Arse 8-2; the ref probably took pity. My verdict, no consequence."

Foolishness when Arshavin committed the act was the score 8-2? The offense was committed in the 15th minute when the score was 0-0. I notice you're quick to dismiss the calls MU should have gotten.

So what of the penalty that MU was denied in the same game? Of course unuh naah guh see that! Calls go against MU and calls go in MU's favor. Man did his research and showed that it was 50-50 .... unuh can gwaan bicker. Mi notice the silence on the penalty that Stoke should have received against Man City.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                  Graham "three yellows" Poll proves the exact opposite to the headline - i.e. that Viera is probably more on the mark than wide of it. How on God's green earth can a ref make this statement: "Subconsciously, though, referees know that if they give a soft penalty against one of the big sides they will be headline news, and none of them wants that." - WTF!!!??? He's saying that "headline news" drives a ref's decision on the pitch!!??

A penalty is a penalty - there ain't no "hard" or "soft" about it - but even more important is that he is really implying is that there is a "subconscious" predisposition to NOT calling penalties against the big sides at home, whether "soft", "hard" or "otherwise"...unbelievable.

:scratch_me_head_top:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qTGuN1fS
                  Of course you'd miss this ....

Knowing this, and much to Sir Alex Ferguson’s disappointment, I tended not to give penalties at either end at Old Trafford. But I was compelled to do just that in my last season — 2006-07 — and the penalty went to Arsenal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qVgxjBK4

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    Of course you'd miss this ....

Knowing this, and much to Sir Alex Ferguson’s disappointment, I tended not to give penalties at either end at Old Trafford. But I was compelled to do just that in my last season — 2006-07 — and the penalty went to Arsenal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1qVgxjBK4
                    Lazie - this is not a partisan argument. If you read my post, I said NOTHING about your club. This second point you are raising is even MORE egregious - how can the man say he "tended not to give penalties at either end at ANY CLUB!!!" Then say he was "COMPELLED" to do so...total effing incompetence and crap as far as I'm concerned. If a ref can't adjudicate a game based on equitable application of the laws -- independently of media, crowds, managers etc. -- then he has no business being on the pitch.

Comment

Do referees favour United more than City? Here are facts...

Posted by SportUK 29 March 2012 13:02:33
                      Manchester City's Patrick Vieira reacted angrily to what he claims is a "serious and cynical misrepresentation" of an interview he gave when it was reported that he said that Manchester United enjoyed “advantage” from referees.

Vieira told BBC Sport. ''When you go to United, Madrid, Barcelona, or Milan, it's always difficult for the referee to go against these kind of teams.

''This is the way it is. It's something the teams who are used to winning get all the time, so we need to win games so we have this advantage in the future.''

The Frenchman has since said that these comments have been taken out of context and the reporter has now been banned by City.

Reporter banned by angry City

Even former referee Graham Poll told the Daily Mail that playing at Old Trafford affected his decision-making, "Subconsciously, though, referees know that if they give a soft penalty against one of the big sides they will be headline news, and none of them want that."

"Knowing this, and much to Sir Alex Ferguson's disappointment, I tended not to give penalties at either end."

So to dispel or prove any theories MSN Sport wanted to find out what the actual facts were this season by comparing both Manchester clubs…

It seems that it is United that have had the benefit of refereeing decisions when it comes to opponents being sent off. Away teams playing at Old Trafford have had four players sent off while no one has seen red while visiting the Etihad Stadium. City have also been awarded far less fouls than their counterparts at home (125 to 160).

However, Sir Alex Ferguson’s men have conceded less fouls at home than their rivals but been given seven more yellow cards (19 to 12).

And while both teams have been awarded seven penalties in front of their home fans this season, it is United who have conceded more with three compared to City’s one.

Sir Alex, himself, repeated the cliché today, “these things even themselves out over the season”. And who, including refs, would argue with him?

< Back to Talking tactics

Comment

Lazie,

Just be thankful that is suh tings guh! You can get down and argue the minutiae ... my point is that the analysis by the writer (Long?) as he has done does not give the full picture which you confirm by further stating in the Arsenal case the time the infractions were incurred. It could very well be that a more in-depth analysis (which I don't have time for) would paint a different picture than what I have done... all I am saying is we just shouldn't swallow what these people say without thinking about it, even if when it seems to favour our position regarding a particular issue.

No bickering, just the facts!
                        Peter R

Comment

To really determine favoritism, you have to look at crucial calls AND no calls and the impact of those calls/no calls on the outcome of games.

Comment

Working...
                          X