X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player's union. long time mi a say that

Arnett striker bats for local players' union

Friday, March 09, 2012

ARNETT Garden's towering centre forward Newton Sterling strongly believes with local football becoming more and more professional, there is a strong need for a player's union or association to represent the rights of players.

Speaking to the Observer at the recent Red Stripe players development seminar at the offices of Red Stripe, the 27-year-old player pointed to the fact that a lot of players are being taken advantage of, and he believes an organisation like this can help them achieve justice.
    STERLING (foreground) ... it’s important for players to be able to defend ourselves

STERLING (foreground) ... it’s important for players to be able to defend ourselves

#slideshowtoggler { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler A { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler IMG { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}
    1/1

"This is something I believe in very much and I don't know if people are going to hate me for it, but this is something that is very important for players to have so we can fully defend ourselves," he explained.
    "Too many times people take advantage of us and we have no one or nowhere to turn to... so we should take this very serious," he stated.
    The six-foot-four-inch striker lamented the fact that most players have families and other responsibilities and believes the organisation can do more to improve standards of living for players around the Premier League league.
    "We all have kids to feed and bills to pay, so this is something we should take very serious... We could get our own lawyer, form a union with just players, then register and do what we have to do and take it from there.
    "But we're going to need monetary initiative, so maybe we will have to pool together and throw monthly or weekly dues. However, this is food for thought and it is something we have to look into, so we would probably have to go out and look for a lawyer who can tell us how to go about doing that," he said.
    "I've been saying it to a few players before and others have also said it to me, that we need to form an organisation with only players so we can defend ourselves," he reiterated.
    The Montego Bay native also believes that for a developing football nation, it's long overdue for Jamaica to have an association of this nature.
    "Everything you do people are going to have objections, but we need to start somewhere because everywhere in the world has it.
    "You go to America or England, you have a players' union, so why is Jamaica any different? We need an organisation like this to protect the interest of our players on a whole," he declared.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1of2AtXGM
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

You did learn something from me afterall!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Let me say this again, mi respect you cause you put you money where your mouth is.

The fact is the players are like many Jamaicans who cry bout been treated fairly yet they open themselves up to that kind of treatment by depending on JFF/PLCA to act in their best interest when it is impossible for them to do so some of the time as JFF/PLCA have their own seperate interest.

Many of the players will not want to pay that 1000 dollars or 100 dollars for that matter but I wish the players who are forward thinking all the best. I see where they had a media/communication workshop for the players as well. Way to go.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X