• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podolski is a Gunner

Podolski is a Gunner as Arsenal agree £10.9m deal with Cologne for striker

By John Edwards

Last updated at 8:37 PM on 7th March 2012

Lukas Podolski will become an Arsenal player at the end of the season after Cologne accepted a £10.9million bid for the Germany striker.

Sportsmail revealed last week that Podolski had agreed personal terms with Arsenal and that the only obstacle to a deal going through was the clubs’ respective valuation of the 26-year-old.

An initial near-£18million asking price was dismissed as prohibitive by Arsenal, who began the bidding at around £8million. With Podolski underlining his eagerness to spearhead Arsene Wenger’s attack by quickly settling on personal terms, however, the Gunners came back with an improved offer that was reluctantly accepted by the Bundesliga club.

London calling: Cologne striker Lukas Podolski will join Arsenal this summer

Podolski is now due at Emirates Stadium once the Bundesliga season ends and will sign a four-year deal worth over £100,000 a week.

Cologne manager Stale Solbakken reacted to Sportsmail’s account of Podolski’s imminent departure by admitting he feared he would lose his prize asset this summer.

The air of resignation at Cologne increased after Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker admitted on German television on Wednesday that he had been quizzed by his international team-mate about life at the club.

‘He has been very interested for the past few weeks,’ said the Arsenal centre-back. ‘He has sent me a number of text messages, and I have told him this is a great place to work and Arsenal are an amazing club.’

Sportsmail reported last month that Arsenal were eager to convince Robin Van Persie of their ambitions by bidding for Podolski and his Germany team-mate Mario Goetze.
    While Borussia Dortmund are in no mood to let rising star Goetze leave without a fight, Cologne quickly realised they had little hope of keeping Podolski, in the wake of Arsenal’s approach.

German connection: Mertesacker hopes to be playing alongside some of his compatriots next term at the Emirates

Wenger followed up his interest after Podolski impressed Arsenal chief scout Steve Rowley with a consistent run of form that has brought him 16 Bundesliga goals this season.

Wenger has been under mounting pressure to make the calibre of signings needed to dispel any misgivings Van Persie may harbour about committing himself to the club beyond a contract that runs out at the end of next season.

Polish-born Podolski is in his second spell at Cologne, after having mixed fortunes during a three-year stay at Bayern Munich, but has done enough on the international stage to leave Wenger in no doubt about his pedigree.

Wenger has also been encouraged to pursue a long-standing interest in the left-sided frontrunner by a firm belief that he has the pace and physical strength to thrive in the Barclays Premier League.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1oVthKOYI

good signing as a backup to Van Persie. Take some pressure of the midfield.

Unnu just need Samba now.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

age 26 .............good pick

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        good signing as a backup to Van Persie. Take some pressure of the midfield.

Unnu just need Samba now.
        We dont need Samba, we've got 3 better centre half than him!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VQq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTIzP1hSI4

Comment

you mean all three put together?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you mean all three put together?
              If Mr Samba so good how comes him playing in the Russian League when every big club in Europe knew he was available for £10 million pounds? The man his just an ok player nothing special or he would be playing in one of the top leagues in Europe!!. He is not in the class of Vermaalen,Koscielny or Mertarscker.

Comment

None of those can't head the ball and so far are weak on spot kicks.
                Kosielny and Mertarsker has been disappointing so far.

How comes Arsenal have so many goals against with 3 good class center backs??

The man went for the money he got. Blackburn didn't want to let him go. Simply, if Arsenal don't upgrade their center back position they will continue not to win anything. They are good going forward and have midfield that is maturing, goalie can't be faulted so unnu need good backs. The backs you have are not capable of taking you any further.

Comment

he was playing in one of the top leagues in europe and wanted away ... that russian team splashing out cash .... isn't it where eto'o is?

anyway i disagree with you, samba would have been a welcome addition in my book.
                  Last edited by Gamma; March 8, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

None of those can't head the ball and so far are weak on spot kicks.
                    Kosielny and Mertarsker has been disappointing so far.

How comes Arsenal have so many goals against with 3 good class center backs??

The man went for the money he got. Blackburn didn't want to let him go. Simply, if Arsenal don't upgrade their center back position they will continue not to win anything. They are good going forward and have midfield that is maturing, goalie can't be faulted so unnu need good backs. The backs you have are not capable of taking you any further.
                    Sass you are not a fool to football, you should realise Arsenal's defensive problems this season had nothing to do with any individual it was simply because of injuries,Vermaalen was out for a long time,Sagna has been out for a long time Mertarsacker is new to the league and is now out for the season. The last 2 weeks is the first time this season we've been able to play our first choice back four of Sagna,Koscielny,Vermaalen and Gibbs and all of a sudden we look like a good team!!

Comment

I am not impressed with that backline. Mertasacker looks weak. The only one I like in your backline is Vermaalen. You say now they are back and we will see how they stop the leaking. As I said earlier I am not impressed at all with this backline especially with the dead ball and heading the ball.

Comment

djourou is a disappointment, and koscielney is now really finding his feet. samba would have been a welcome addition in my book.

a pairing of vermaelen and samba is stronger than any of the other 2 with vermaelen

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

GUNNERS! --- tuh di worl!!!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am not impressed with that backline. Mertasacker looks weak. The only one I like in your backline is Vermaalen. You say now they are back and we will see how they stop the leaking. As I said earlier I am not impressed at all with this backline especially with the dead ball and heading the ball.
                            Time will tell, Arsenal will finish third in the league and move from strength to strength and the backline will prove their worth in due course.

Comment

No doubt they will finish third in my book but the goals against is not looking good.

Comment

Working...
                              X