FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007: Champions begin defence of crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007: Champions begin defence of crown

<SPAN class=art-title2>Champions begin defence of crown</SPAN> <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Jesus Ramirez is hoping to emulate the achievement of Peru 2005 with a new squad of footballers. For two years, he has been preparing his Mexico side for success in Korea.
    </SPAN><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN> <SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>Christian Palma
    </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(FIFA.com)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">27 Feb 2007</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>It was less than two years ago that the sensational images of Mexico's first world title success flashed around the world. The occasion was Peru 2005, and the country's U-17 side, led by the inspirational Giovani dos Santos and Carlos Vela, had comprehensively beaten Brazil 3-0 to spark celebrations across the country.

Now, though, it is a case of back to the drawing board. The task of helping the young squad reprise the glory days of 2005 falls to world title-winning coach Jesus Ramirez, who has been busy preparing his new charges for the defence of the title.

While it may be the beginning of a new qualifying campaign, Ramirez's squad are by no means starting from scratch. The side set to contest the Korea 2007 regional qualifiers in Honduras are the product of a process that began over two years ago, when many of the players were part of the national U-15 set-up.

With numerous training camps in Mexico City and preparatory tours in several countries, the team's preparations have been exhaustive to say the least. Among the opposition the U-17s have faced in recent times are the Jamaican national team and Argentinian sides Quilmes, Racing Club and Boca Juniors. Now, though, Ramirez's battle-hardened troops are ready for their mission in Honduras, where they will go head-to-head with El Salvador, Haiti and the hosts for a place at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea 2007.<TABLE class=textblack11px_normal id=IMGTAB height=150 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width=150 align=left summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR id=TRCAP><TD vAlign=bottom align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Mexico fans took to the streets to celebrate their success at Peru 2005 - and two years on, expectations have risen considerably.</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRSOURCE><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRAUTHOR><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>Susana Gonzalez</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Twin-track approach
    Coach Ramirez knows the recipe for Tricolor success this year involves a fine blend of skill and desire. "I want people who are hungry for victory, not just talented ball players. To be a champion you have to want to be a champion," he says.

Nor is Ramirez underestimating the importance of preparing his players mentally, a factor that was key to the success of the team at Peru 2005. "When you have positive aspects [to your side], then you always want to maintain them. Personally speaking, I want to continue winning. Before [Peru 2005] we didn't know how to win. Today, however, we at least have a solid foundation and I know that if we reach a final we can win it."

Not surprisingly, given the remarkable achievements of their predecessors, the whole country is waiting with bated breath to see how the youngsters fare. Even so, the coach insists there is no extra pressure on his charges: "It's a new process with new personnel. What hasn't changed, though, is the hard work and dedication."

New faces, same source
    As has been the case in recent ye
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007: Champions begin defence of crown

...preparatory tours in several countries, the team's preparations have been exhaustive to say the least. Among the opposition the U-17s have faced in recent times are the Jamaican national team and Argentinian sides Quilmes, Racing Club and Boca Juniors.

Lazie says victories only come from having good coaches preparing against quality opponentsis a waste of time!:w00t:
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Nuh worry, Karl. Bora, the good white fariner, will tell us that it is important to play these kinds of matches, and everyone will shut up and agree.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (2/27/2007)Nuh worry, Karl. Bora, the good white fariner, will tell us that it is important to play these kinds of matches, and everyone will shut up and agree.
        Yuh seit, tuh! :angry:

Comment

yuh nuh like white people ah wha mosiah ???

Comment

not more than I love myself!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl (2/27/2007)
              ...preparatory tours in several countries, the team's preparations have been exhaustive to say the least. Among the opposition the U-17s have faced in recent times are the Jamaican national team and Argentinian sides Quilmes, Racing Club and Boca Juniors.

Lazie says victories only come from having good coaches preparing against quality opponentsis a waste of time!:w00t:
              There is a saying, one fool lead many. Where have you seen Lazie made any such comment? I guess unuh just love throw up smoke screens.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (2/27/2007)
                Karl (2/27/2007)

There is a saying, one fool lead many. Where have you seen Lazie made any such comment? I guess unuh just love throw up smoke screens.
                Found it the very same place you found me saying "Henry nuh good" ...or, when Arsenal loses, "It is Henry's fault".

...although you and friend Bricktop are dismissive of practising against quality international competition.(N)

Comment

less?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well, I can prove that you making up stuff. This was my first post yesterday. Now point out where I have dismissed the need for practise games?

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl1_lblFullMessage>How long were we aware that we were to play in this round? What were the preparation games U20 team played?

<DIV class=Quote>To date, the Under-20s have been playing a series of local clubs as part of their preparations. They played Tafari Lions twice - winning 5-0 and drawing 1-1; they beat Seba 4-1, Waterhouse 3-1 and lost 1-0 and 3-2 to Reno and Village respectively.</DIV>

Was this written by Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy?

Then again, if this U20 team can beat teams like Waterhouse and Seba, what the hell does that say about our football?

Karl and him followers can gwaan fool demselves about abundance of talent ... Ras Shatta can gwaan believe the myth about 25 Freddy. How I see it our football in reverse.</SPAN>
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (2/27/2007)Well, I can prove that you making up stuff. This was my first post yesterday. Now point out where I have dismissed the need for practise games?

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl1_lblFullMessage>How long were we aware that we were to play in this round? What were the preparation games U20 team played?

<DIV class=Quote>To date, the Under-20s have been playing a series of local clubs as part of their preparations. They played Tafari Lions twice - winning 5-0 and drawing 1-1; they beat Seba 4-1, Waterhouse 3-1 and lost 1-0 and 3-2 to Reno and Village respectively.</DIV>

Was this written by Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy?

Then again, if this U20 team can beat teams like Waterhouse and Seba, what the hell does that say about our football?

Karl and him followers can gwaan fool demselves about abundance of talent ... Ras Shatta can gwaan believe the myth about 25 Freddy. How I see it our football in reverse.</SPAN>
                      Keep an eye out. The number of players who shall leave our shores and perform well in the top leagues shall become a raging tide.

Comment

Working...
                      X