Dixon replaces Young as Portmore United's coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixon replaces Young as Portmore United's coach

FORMER national defender Linval 'Rudi' Dixon will effectively become the new head coach of Wray and Nephew National Premier League team Portmore United on Thursday, March 1, following the departure of Paul Young.

In a press release from the club, the management said following the departure "for personal reasons of coach Paul Young, who is now overseas, former national central defender Dixon has been elevated to head coach of the senior team.

Dixon, 34, told the Gleaner yesterday that he was looking forward to the new post with enthu-siasm.

"I feel really excited. It's been a long time coming. Now the time is right, I am going to make full use of it."

Vast experience

Dixon, who represented Jamaica 151 times between 1991 and 2003, said he brings to the table his vast experience and passion for the sport.

Said Dixon: "My vast expe-rience being a national player for so long and my commitment and loyalty to Portmore United has driven me to serve the club in the area of coaching.

"I am determined to contribute and share with the players the experience I've garnered during my playing career as well as the invaluable interactions I've had with Rene Simoes and Carl Brown.

"At Portmore, I'm privileged to have Horace Reid as one of my tutors and mentor. In a significant way he helped shape my career as a player and in recent times as a coach. Hopefully, it will pay off," added Dixon.

Dixon co-captained Hazard Football club, (now Portmore United) to the premier league title in 1992/93 before moving on to USA 'A' League outfit Charleston Battery in 1995 for the first of two stints and again in 2002/2003.

Dixon has been a part of the Portmore coaching staff since 2004 and in January 2005 he was appointed head coach of the Under-21 team.

Since July 2006, he has been assistant coach to Paul Young.

He will have Christopher Bender as is assistant for the remainder of the season.

Bender, who started the season at August Town, will be doing his second stint at the club, having served in 1999 and 2001.

Meanwhile Desmond "Gaddafi" Smith will assume responsibility of the Under-21s. Smith is currently the assistant coach of the National Under-20 team that went to Mexico last week.

Also, Andre Waugh will assume the position of assistant trainer to the Under-17, Under-21 and senior teams and will be responsible for collating all game-related statistics and tracking the physical development of all the players in Portmore's junior programme.

-Howard Walker
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Dixon replaces Young as Portmore United's coach

Youngie Bird gone! Blows nought. I think the dollars may have been too small for Young, a man wid a Master's degree in a in-demand field. Good luck to my fellow Wolmerian.

Comment

Another figurehead. The real coach is Horace Reid.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True but at least him giving some exposure to some well needed exposure to some former national players. Dixon is at the right age to get his career going and capitalize on this.

Lennie hyde, Paul Young and now Dixon
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X