• Rusea's goalie targets professional career

Rusea's goalie targets professional career
    published: Tuesday | February 27, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody j4lQv="true">

Wayne Stewart </DIV>

- Photo by Claudia Gardner
    Claudia Gardner, Gleaner Writer

Lucea, Hanover:

Seventeen-year-old Wayne Sawyers of Hopewell, Hanover, has his sights unwaveringly set on becoming a professional goalkeeper.

As far as he can remember, the fifth former, who is currently the number two goalkeeper at Rusea's High School, started playing football at age seven where he and his friends kicked plastic bottles on the road to and from Bethel Primary and Junior High School in Hopewell, and later at the community playground.

"We used to set up stones and the boys would kick shots at me," Sawyers said.

Sawyers also used to tag along behind his older cousin - the late former national Under-20 invitee, Rusea's and Legend goalkeeper Roger Topey, one of Hanover's best goalkeepers of all time - to football training.

"I always wanted to become a goalkeeper because of my cousin Roger Topey, " Sawyers told The Gleaner. "I used to go with him to the field and watch him play and everybody was talking about him until he passed away. He was my inspiration."

Early debut

Interestingly, Sawyers' official debut in football as a goalkeeper began when he represented his community's Under-17 team at the age of eight.

"I played for Vegas United in the community's Under-17 competition. I was a starter," he said. "They kicked a lot (of goals) past me, but I saved a lot too. I can't remember the scores in all the games, but I remember where I played one match and they scored nine goals on me. They chose me as goalkeeper despite my age, because none of the other boys wanted to stay in goal."

Sawyers, who was drafted to the Rusea's squad in the summer of 2004, also kept goal for Rusea's at Under-16 that year when they reached the semi-finals of the Western Galloway Cup at Jarrett Park and went down 2-0 to Herbert Morrison High.

"I felt good and bad at the same time, because we did not expect to reach that far. It was the defenders' fault," Sawyers quickly added.

His favourite international goalkeeper is Iker Cassillas of Real Madrid, while Jacomeno Barrett, the former Portmore United custodian who is now at Naggo Head, is his local choice.

"Cassillas is the best goalkeeper in the world because he knows the game and reads it very well. He is short, just like me and he can sprint. I like Jacomeno Barrett too. He is my friend. He is strong and he trained me at daCosta Cup camp and he motivates me. Theodore Whitmore is my idol too."

Other interests

Sawyers, who is the last child for Pauline Sawyers (deceased), lives in Hopewell with his sister, Mahalia Farquharson. He enjoys reading, swimming and dancing when not playing football. His favourite foods are rice and peas, chicken and curried goat.

Outside of the daCosta Cup season, Sawyers represents the Hopewell Church of God of Prophecy Football Club in the Hanover Major League. He also represented Rusea's in the 100 and 200-metre sprints at Boys' Champs and the Western Relays in the past.

Sawyers told The Gleaner he would like to represent Jamaica in the future and his favourite club Liverpool FC in the English Premier League, as that club "plays attacking football."

However, if he does not get to become a professional goalkeeper he says he will pursue a career in the military.

Much affection

In the meantime, he is focusing on the upcoming daCosta Cup football season for his school Rusea's, an institution for which he says he has much affection.

"I love everything about Rusea's. When I come to sc
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Rusea's goalie targets professional career

Karl (2/27/2007)

Sawyers told The Gleaner he would like to represent Jamaica in the future and his favourite club Liverpool FC in the English Premier League, as that club "plays attacking football."
    Him is not no fool!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X