England appoints a racist to replace Capello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England appoints a racist to replace Capello

Not again! After race row topples Capello, FA forced to defend Pearce over 1994 slur

By MATT LAWTON

Last updated at 11:10 PM on 9th February 2012

The Football Association were on Thursday accused of hypocrisy over racism when they unveiled Stuart Pearce as temporary successor to Fabio Capello as England manager.

England legend Pearce, known in his playing days as Psycho, once had to apologise to fellow international Paul Ince for alleged racist abuse — the very issue that led to Capello’s resignation.

The Italian quit on Wednesday over a dispute with his employers that was sparked by the board decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy while he awaits trial for a racially aggravated public order offence.

Temporary fix: England Under 21 boss Stuart Pearce will look after the seniors in their friendly against Holland in February

But Pearce’s clash with Ince in 1994 was resurrected at a press conference on Thursday and it was also pointed out that the former Nottingham Forest defender’s brother Dennis has been a member of the extreme-right BNP.

FA chairman David Bernstein said Pearce would be promoted from Under 21 duties to take the senior side for the friendly against Holland at Wembley later this month.

But to the clear surprise of Bernstein and senior colleagues they were suddenly facing new questions.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor was forced to intervene after the clash between Forest and Manchester United 18 years ago.

Working together: Stuart Pearce and Paul Ince were involved in a spat in 1994

At the time Taylor said: ‘Stuart regrets what he said. It was said in the heat of the moment.’

Adrian Bevington, the managing director of Club England, responding to questions about Pearce’s brother, said: ‘Stuart has made it clear in the past that he is not involved in his brother’s political beliefs.’

With regard to Ince, Bevington added: ‘I certainly can’t talk about the comment you’re raising there.’

Meanwhile, the FA have not ruled out the possibility of appointing two more England managers this year after asking Pearce to step in.

Decisions: The FA board have not ruled out making two more managerial appointments before the end of the year

Harry Redknapp remains the clear favourite to be offered the job, possibly just for the European Championships if he wants to remain Spurs boss next season.

But Bernstein said the FA were open to the idea of appointing a manager for this summer’s European Championship and one who then starts with the 2014 World Cup qualification campaign.

‘I would say that is a possibility,’ said Bernstein. ‘We are not prepared to restrict ourselves at this stage. He might be English, he might be British, he might not be, he might be for the Euros only, he might be long term. We need to look at all the options.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1lw8XwYpf
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

The sad thing is that the irony is lost on them geniuses running the FA. Such is their incompetence that they cannot stop from tripping over their own feet. That said, to lace Pearce with this accusation ~20 years after the fact is nonsense...ironic...but not fair as he has been part of the landscape without incident as both a manager and player for years.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

England hasnt a clue,he is a part of the problem his work with the youth teams isnt that great.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

No, the mere fact that he uttered a racist comment that should be part of his record.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

He had a history and his brother is presently associated with that history.England at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            No, the mere fact that he uttered a racist comment that should be part of his record.
            Agreed it should be part of his record, but do you think he should be allowed to reform? If you don't that's okay, but if you do, then it would be hard to condemn him as there has been no incident since the Ince one (that I know of).
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Here is where I stand and its not against Pearce but the english FA decision making process.

Here they are in the middle of these racism accusations ,Saurez-Evra,Ferdinand-Terry and Cappello-English FA ala Terry demotion for being an alleged racist , you do the dumbest thing by appointing someone with a history of said accusation?

He is already in the english coaching set up so reform isnt the issue , he is being reformed or is!The question to me is the timing of making a sensitive decision?

Its just not the right time for Pearce to be the english manager.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Here is where I stand and its not against Pearce but the english FA decision making process.

Here they are in the middle of these racism accusations ,Saurez-Evra,Ferdinand-Terry and Cappello-English FA ala Terry demotion for being an alleged racist , you do the dumbest thing by appointing someone with a history of said accusation?

He is already in the english coaching set up so reform isnt the issue , he is being reformed or is!The question to me is the timing of making a sensitive decision?

Its just not the right time for Pearce to be the english manager.
                Totally agree. They are indeed a bunch of numbskulls and simpletons. The joke is that they were caught off guard by it which shows how pathetic they really are.

Comment

That was amazing they didnt know the history of Pearce ? England a tell unnuh long time ,Roy Hodgson would be a perfect fit,such is the ambition.

Comment

Let me see if I got this straight. The Suarez defenders don't think that someone who made a racist comment (as a player to another player) twenty years ago should be the coach of England. Okay alrighty then.

Comment

I dont think you got it ,read again and tell me where anyone said that and dont quote me out of context.

Comment

"He had a history and his brother is presently part of that history." What exactly does that mean? Are you OK with what he did twenty years ago? Why pray tell should his 'history' of racial utterances matter now.

Comment

Look into the context of the quote and you will get your answer...yuh nuh dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                            Let me see if I got this straight. The Suarez defenders don't think that someone who made a racist comment (as a player to another player) twenty years ago should be the coach of England. Okay alrighty then.
                            Rudi, (I'll speak for myself) - the problem we have here is that you think that I am defending Suarez when what I am really defending is the right that each and every one of us have to fairness. I don't know Luis Suarez. He may be a great guy, or he may be an a--ho*e. I don't care. What I do know is that the case against him was essentially down to one man's word against his and that to me is not enough to convict a man of anything especially when both stories were so far apart and there were no other witnesses. There is not a single person on this board who would have felt fairly treated by the FA's mock trial. Not one!!

Stuart Pearce on the other hand, admitted he called Ince by a racial name. There is a very very big difference between these two incidents as there is no issue of injustice in Pearce's case. There is with Suarez.

Comment

Working...
                            X