X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UB40 Time !

Full speed ahead !

New Boyz coming

they should be careful with Jr Houilett. Annouce it when it is done.
    New Boyz coming

Published: Sunday | January 29, 2012

Nodley Wright, Sunday Gleaner Writer

The Reggae Boyz could be taken more seriously in a very short while with the possibility of three high-profile England-based additions to the unit.

Blackburn Rovers livewire David "Junior" Hoilett, Leicester City's hitman Jermaine Beckford, and Bolton Wanderers' midfield steel Darren Pratley could soon be available to coach Theodore Whitmore for selection. That the players could soon be taking instructions from Whitmore was confirmed by Jamaica Football Federation president, Captain Horace Burrell, yesterday.

"Right now, I am in touch with his father. We spoke at length and we are hoping that plans will work out," Burrell said of Hoilett.

"His father hails from Ocho Rios, speaks with a strong Jamaican accent and is a proud Jamaican. In fact, he was overwhelmed when we called him. What I can say is that we have the seal of approval from his father who promised to have a father/son discussion with him and guide him in the right way."

Offer to represent Canada

The 21-year-old lightning-quick winger, who was the subject of a number of speculations linking him to more highly placed clubs than Blackburn for figures ranging from £8m-£15, was reported to have turned down an offer to represent Canada on the instructions of his father, who serves as his adviser. The reported reason was that his father felt that Jamaica would have been a better fit for the Canada-born star.

Beckford a 6' 2" goalscorer, who stood out for Leeds before earning a dream premiership move to Everton in 2010, transferred to Championship team Leicester City at the end of season for £2.5m after a reasonable season and has been a hit since. Just yesterday he struck a double for Leicester, who recorded a 2-0 win over Swindon Town in the FA Cup. It was Beckford's 14th goal in 14 FA Cup matches.

Beckford interested

"Myself and general secretary Horace Reid attended a game in Leicester City and had a lengthy chat with Jermaine (Beckford) after the game. He is extremely interested and our internal staff is extremely busy in proceeding with the necessary paperwork," Burrell said of the 28-year-old, who started out as a Chelsea trainee, indicating that only a passport stands between the player and an official Jamaica cap.

Like Beckford, Pratley was also watched by Reid and Burrell during a recent visit to the United Kingdom.

"We attended a Bolton game and we had an interview with Pratley. He is excited about the prospects of representing Jamaica and, as with Beckford, the internal staff is working on the necessary paperwork," Burrell said of the six-footer.

Pratley, a former mainstay at Queens Park Rangers before transferring to Bolton Wanderers in July 2011, first came on the Jamaica radar in January 2009, when he was invited by then coach John Barnes for a friendly international against Nigeria on February 11 of that year. The midfielder, who qualifies to represent Jamaica through his grandparents, pulled out of the friendly after suffering a broken shoulder shortly before the game.
    Last edited by Karl; January 29, 2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I don't know why we even put these things in public. The JFF want to say they are trying?
      I like the player Hoilet but ......
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

didnt we at one time hear that sturridge from chelsea was a possiblility to join the reggeboyz... that would be a good thing...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
          didnt we at one time hear that sturridge from chelsea was a possiblility to join the reggeboyz... that would be a good thing...
          Slim to no possibility. Good chance he will rep England for Euros.

Comment

Hi Baddaz you nuh have cable in Boston???? just joking... he sturridge has beenn playing for england. My problem with Houilett is not him but he is one of those guys who wants everything to be settled before he makes decision. He is also under a great deal of pressure with Canada and the excuse was he need his contract situation settled before intl committment. The media here has been hard on him calling him and the other undecided Canadian /Jamaica Jonathan Deguzman a bum and kunclehead because they have been stringing the CSA along. I hope it works but I would talk to the player, hopefully the Tranfer window closes and he gets a new contract and he says yes. I dont think he will otherwise . Good player good yoth hortical yardee too.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
              Hi Baddaz you nuh have cable in Boston???? just joking... he sturridge has beenn playing for england. My problem with Houilett is not him but he is one of those guys who wants everything to be settled before he makes decision. He is also under a great deal of pressure with Canada and the excuse was he need his contract situation settled before intl committment. The media here has been hard on him calling him and the other undecided Canadian /Jamaica Jonathan Deguzman a bum and kunclehead because they have been stringing the CSA along. I hope it works but I would talk to the player, hopefully the Tranfer window closes and he gets a new contract and he says yes. I dont think he will otherwise . Good player good yoth hortical yardee too.
              Now has the JFF have the balls to nab Raheem Stirling, he is Jamaican and by the time the next world cup comes around will be 19 and playing regularly for Liverpool.That is the type of profile player i want to see running out in our colours!!

Comment

What balls haffi duh wid it.. ? We don't even have an Academy.. how people fi tek wi serious ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                  What balls haffi duh wid it.. ? We don't even have an Academy.. how people fi tek wi serious ?
                  Have they got the balls fi nab him out of England clutches?

Comment

Balls ? Wheh duh yuh... ?

Bettah if yuh did seh Brains..

Is ongly irrational patriotism yuh can count on..

Keep hope alive !

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                      Balls ? Wheh duh yuh... ?

Bettah if yuh did seh Brains..

Is ongly irrational patriotism yuh can count on..

Keep hope alive !
                      Alright, me tek back balls. Vision is the word are the clued up enough to realize he is in the top 5 best young players in Europe and it's just a matter of time before..........

Comment

Plus Raheem is the right fit fi de reggaeboyz... didn't I see where he now has two kids and he's only 17?

Seriously now, if he is that good I would hope his counsel is doing a better job with helping him manage his career than his sex education teacher... if he is THAT good, why would he want to play for JA if he has a chance to play for England? just asking...
                        Peter R

Comment

BTW... was it Raheem who reportedly has a couple kids? or am I confusing him with someone else?
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            Plus Raheem is the right fit fi de reggaeboyz... didn't I see where he now has two kids and he's only 17?

Seriously now, if he is that good I would hope his counsel is doing a better job with helping him manage his career than his sex education teacher... if he is THAT good, why would he want to play for JA if he has a chance to play for England? just asking...
                            Don't know about the kids, but I do know that he wants to rep the country of his birth and has the support of his family (who want him to rep JA as well).

Comment

seems that way from what I read in the other post regarding his mom and her influence on him...
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X