X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIPE TIME - Coaches believe Boyz ready to finally beat US

RIPE TIME - Coaches believe Boyz ready to finally beat US

Published: Saturday | January 14, 2012

Jamaica's Ryan Johnson (left) challenges for the ball in front of the United States' Carlos Bocanegra during the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarter-final football match on Sunday, June 19, 2011, at RFK Stadium in Washington. The United States won 2-0. - AP

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer

FLORIDA, United States:
    Jamaica have closed the gap considerably on arch international football rivals the United States, according to knowledgeable observers, who believe the Americans may finally be ripe to fall to the Reggae Boyz. The countries will face off twice in the semi-final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers this year.

Despite Jamaica's woeful recent form - the Boyz rode into 2012 on a five-game losing streak - observers believe the United States (US) are not a sure bet to remain unscathed when play ends in Group A, which includes Jamaica, Antigua and Barbuda, and Guatemala.

Jamaica, in particular, are seen as possibly a much tougher opponent for the Americans this time around, although the Boyz have never beaten the US at the senior level.

"I think this is one of the most balanced Jamaican squads I've seen for a long time," said Trinidad-born Stephen Hart, head coach of Canada's senior men's team, which is drawn in Group C.

"... And then the US is in a sort of transition phase. Not so much of a rebuilding phase, but a transition phase - new coach, new ideas - and, you know, it may be a good time to play them (US). It's always difficult because they (US) have proven to be one of the main powers in CONCACAF (but) I think if you are on your game, especially at home, you can always get a result."

Following last summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup, where the US used a 2-0 win to knock Jamaica out of the tournament's quarter-final round, the Americans hired Jurgen Klinsmann, former player and coach for Germany, to replace Bob Bradley as head coach.

Klinsmann has tinkered with the US approach in the hope of injecting more attacking flair. But the results have been mixed. The US won just twice in seven games under the German's guidance. That, some observers believe, may mean the Americans could be vulnerable when they tackle Jamaica, first in the US on September 7 and four days later in Kingston.

"I'm sure if you ask the US they'd like to think that they'd be more solid at that point," said Robin Fraser, Jamaica-born head coach of Major League Soccer (MLS) club Chivas USA and a former US international. "... Certainly (the US) are in a bit of a transition phase now and I think that, as the Jamaican team is improving, then it could be a right time to catch (the US)."

Both Hart and Fraser were impressed by Jamaica's showing in the Gold Cup. They said the Boyz, who gathered maximum points without allowing a goal in the group stage, showed they have the potential to compete well against the US. Overall, they claimed, CONCACAF teams have improved as well, bringing more balance to the region's football.

Victory possible
    Victory for Jamaica against the US, therefore, is possible this time around, especially in the return fixture at home. But it will not be easy.
    "I think, if you look at the group, (Jamaica) can take points from all the teams in the group," said Hart. "So why not? The reality is that you have to take care of business at home and then fight for what you need to get away from home."

"Things are cyclical," added Fraser, "and I think right now Jamaica is on the upswing, and if you look at how they did in the last Gold Cup I think they should have a lot of confidence going into that game against the US."
    However, both warned Jamaica against overconfidence as the US will work to peak at the right time.

Jamaica's own preparation for the qualifiers has been questionable. The Boyz, who open against Guatemala at home on June 8, did not play a game in November during the last international dates of 2011 set aside by football's world governing body FIFA. A training camp, which was being planned for the US this month, was cancelled and the Jamaica Football Federation has not publicly confirmed games for next month's FIFA dates, or any other time.

Meanwhile, the US have been active since the Gold Cup, with plans for more games against Venezuela (January 21), Panama (January 25) and former world champion Italy (February 29).

Whatever gap Jamaica may have closed against the Americans could vanish if the Boyz are not sharp against their arch-rivals. Come September, observers believe, the Americans are unlikely to be caught unprepared.
    "Jurgen will do a good job," said Fraser, "and the US is probably about to be on an upswing as well."

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

We have to first believe in ourselves before we are able to beat the US. There is a lack of self confidence when we go up against the US and it starts with the coach and his tactics. I think we approach Mexico more confidently than when we face the US.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

What rubbish...

Comment

Whatever those guys smoking I don't want any.

Comment

Working...
        X