RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ails Defending Premier League Champions Tivoli Gardens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Ails Defending Premier League Champions Tivoli Gardens?

WHAT AILS DEFENDING PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS TIVOLI GARDENS?

What exactly has gone wrong with Tivoli Gardens Football Club? Since Tivoli won the premier league title last season, they have only managed five wins in 18 starts this season. They have also suffered four straight losses and five in their last six games. Six straight draws and eight overall haven’t helped either.

The bigger problem is that the club’s management doesn’t seem to have an idea why the team has been performing so poorly. Tivoli currently lies seventh in the Red Stripe Premier League with 23 points not that far off cellar dwellers Village United, one of the four teams to inflict consecutive defeats on the defending champions. In fact, the last time Tivoli won two games in a row was in weeks five and six when they beat Portmore (1-0) and Harbour View (1-0) on October 9 and 16, respectively. Before that it was the first two weeks of the new season when they defeated Montego Bay United 2-1 on September 11, and then Arnett Gardens a week later by a similar scoreline. Two draws followed, then the other two wins. Since then it has been all downhill.

The week before the first end of round final that Tivoli lost 2-0 to Portmore United, their first loss of the season, their manager Brian Rose lamented the team’s poor form and their anemic goal scoring record. He revealed that the club has tried many remedies that were not bearing fruit. Since that time their goal scoring record has not improved either.

In 18 matches Tivoli has managed only 16 goals while conceding 18, not the way to defend a title. Coach Glendon ‘Admiral’ Bailey, suddenly under pressure, seemed to be grasping at straws when in responding to questions about the team’s losing streak, suggested that the team lacked motivation given that they had won title only six months before. That theory, however, holds little water according to Ryon Jones, sports reporter at the Gleaner who covers the premier league and whose incredible insight belies his tender age. Jones tells me he has spoken with players like veteran Navion Boyd and Kasai Hinds, who tell him that the players are motivated. They tell him that the players, old and new, are driven by the fact that no team has won back-to-back titles in more than a decade and they would like to achieve that objective.

Jones also offered his own views why he feels the defending champions are languishing near the bottom of the table. “My impression is there is a lack of discipline,” he said. Jones explains that Tivoli has had seven players red-carded so far this season as their efforts to ‘out-muscle’ opponents in midfield have backfired. Those counter-productive midfield efforts could be directly linked to the departure of inspirational midfield player Kemar Daley to Preston North End in August. Daley’s defense-splitting passes made Tivoli a potent attacking team last season. His replacements by and large may be a little out of their depth.

From all reports Marcelino Blackburn might be a little out of his depth and Mario Swaby needs to be a little less bustling and a bit more creative. So far neither has been able to fill Daley’s shoes in that position. What this does is add pressure to the already burdened strike force of Boyd and Mitchily Waul who between them have nine of Tivoli’s 16 goals this season. The trouble is that filling Daley’s role is not as easy as picking up a new player in the January transfer window.

As has become abundantly clear in recent years, creative midfield players like Daley and in the not too distant past, Walter Boyd and Theodore ‘Tappa’ Whitmore, are as rare as the blueprint drawings of the great pyramids. Looking across the league there is hardly such a player anymore as has been pointed out by Gordon Williams in his recent piece in the Gleaner. With this in mind, what does Tivoli then do to turn their fortunes around?

Getting a creative midfielder is out of the question because they are extinct so solving the problem might not be as easy. If that is the case then other solutions have to be found. If not, it is not inconceivable that the losing will become a habit and we see what that has done to the West Indies cricket team. It is not somewhere Tivoli wants to be.

http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=1019
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

That is TGs and Jamaicas problem(Getting a creative midfielder is out of the question because they are extinct )

So they cannot develop them or one in their youth system ? Hoping for it to drop in your lap or identify one in the transfer season is the problem.

Their solution is to give up and go for the old method of muscle and pain , then blame it on lack of discipline, a formula they admit has failed them.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Create a Stronger Youth Develoment Program With Good Coachin

Originally posted by X View Post
      That is TGs and Jamaica's problem(Getting a creative midfielder is out of the question because they are extinct )

So they cannot develop them or one in their youth system ? Hoping for it to drop in your lap or identify one in the transfer season is the problem.

Their solution is to give up and go for the old method of muscle and pain , then blame it on lack of discipline, a formula they admit has failed them.
      Your are so right. Nothing 'JUST DROPS IN YOUR LAP'. Design and energy by the right football people must happen.

Players just don't happen in bunches and not even around the world. Players have to start out in an organized well develop program by coaches who can coach youth development and be leaders of youth players during training sessions. Many in the game know this but many who do football in Jamaica don't do this well even at the U13 level and up, which by the way is too late in player development. Most U13 players only have a few matches to play and few training session for various reasons. Just check out the fixture for U13 in KSAFA on their website. http://www.ksafa.net/U-13.htm Only 11 matches. This FA is a good one and ahead of most because of leadership and in the hub of Jamaican football is all for kids but funds are limited and so are the trained coaches. A great cultural emphasis financially is put on senior football and not much left for youth development.

Players need to start at ages U8 and U10 and U 12 in an Academy setting for 35-40 weeks a year 3 days per week and in a fun and holistic atmosphere. Developing them into becoming young elite and creative thinking players ready to move forward.

We at GSM will start this development approach January in Kingston (after 3 years of training coaches) and we are now working with BREDS Treasurer Beach Foundation, where they help over 1,000 kids in primary schools and selected players on Saturday mornings at 2 sites. In 3 month GSM/BREDS will partner with a 3 day per week academy. In January of 2013 we should have about 600 players at both sites and with coaches we have trained.

I share only to say that this can happen throughout Jamaica through effort that are about developing good players through trained coaches. Lets hope that in 2012 might be a year of reconciliation and development that can be owned by all. Happy New Year All.

Paul Banta

Comment

I wish you the best , our national psyche in how we view talent says alot about us , if we view talents like Boyd , Tappa & Nandi as rare and extinct , that tells me we havent a clue in youth development, better yet we can argue its rare an nonexistent.

We all have seen talent groomed in the EPL i.e Fabergas,Lucas, Gardener etc etc where thier talent was doubted , ridiculed in some cases and even declared as nonexistent, but the difference is the academies and qualified , coaches and systems to see them through the process to maturity.

Thats our problem the system is rare to nonexistent, not the players they are all over the place, dying to buss.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Correct

I wish you the best , our national psyche in how we view talent says alot about us , if we view talents like Boyd , Tappa & Nandi as rare and extinct , that tells me we havent a clue in youth development, better yet we can argue its rare an nonexistent.

We all have seen talent groomed in the EPL i.e Fabergas,Lucas, Gardener etc etc where thier talent was doubted , ridiculed in some cases and even declared as nonexistent, but the difference is the academies and qualified , coaches and systems to see them through the process to maturity.

Thats our problem the system is rare to nonexistent, not the players they are all over the place, dying to buss.
          Players are ready and have always been ready. I was at Munro College in the late 70's (ask Moisah alias BB). They were ready then & so it is today as we have seen like you. Maybe a special anointing on the so called developers might just happen one day. We're not going to wait. The youth we have been involved for 3 years with us at WFC love the game and thrive on give presented to them in a meaningful way.

Best wishes.

PB

Comment

Losing yuh most influential and creative playah will do dat every time.

Comment

How do you explain Man U , they lost Yorke,Beckham,Giggs,Ronaldo,Tevez ,etc and keep winning.

Your line of thinking is the problem,the xcuse to fail is part of the psyche, we dont prepare to win but make excuses to fail or when we fail.

There was a club in Jamaica that had a program and still do ,when thier stars of east left the island for overseas clubs ,others could fill that vacum and they made credible pushes to challenge for various titles.
              Last edited by Sir X; December 28, 2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

ANOTHER young Jamaican from Phoenix Academy, Romario McKnight, has signed a three-year contract with top French side Lille after impressing in a two-week trial.

McKnight, 16, a former Calabar High School midfielder, is a part of Austrian outfit Anif and is the second player from the Craig Butler-led Phoenix Academy to sign with a top European club.
                MCKNIGHT... it’s a dream come true for me

#slideshowtoggler { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler A { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler IMG { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}
                1/1

About two weeks ago, 16-year-old Kevaughn, Atkinson also from Calabar, signed for German giant Bayern Munich in a five-year deal.
                The details of the contract are still being worked on, said Butler, and the youngster should be joining the French outfit in January.
                When contacted via Skype, McKnight was very elated.
                "I played a couple of games and I think they liked my stamina and my skill level," McKnight told the Observer.
                "It's a dream come true for me and I am just working to set the stage for other Jamaicans. They just have to stay focused and remember that you have to make a lot of sacrifices," was his advice for other young aspiring Jamaican footballers eyeing the professional ranks.
                As for the language, McKnight has no problem, saying "I speak French fairly well" as he spent time in the French-speaking side of Canada.
                Lille are the current French champions and this season signed former Chelsea and Liverpool player, Joe Cole.
                Lille are currently third in the standings on 25 points behind leaders Paris St Germain and Montpellier on 30 each.
                They are playing alongside Italian giant Inter Milan and CSK Moscow in the lucrative UEFA Champions League.
                Meanwhile, Butler said his motivation to help young footballers be the best they can be comes out of the the lack of opportunities that stifled the promising career of one of his favourite schoolboy footballers and Jamaica College teammate, Richard 'Pot Cover' McDonald.
                "That has being an inspiration for me... he didn't get the chance (and) to me he could have been the answer to Jamaica's goalscoring problems in the '80s. He was strong, skilful, intelligent and just didn't get the opportunity," said Butler.
                "Every time I see a young kid, I remember 'Cover' and just want to give them the opportunity," said Butler.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1hsJsrYcy
                "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                  ANOTHER young Jamaican from Phoenix Academy, Romario McKnight, has signed a three-year contract with top French side Lille after impressing in a two-week trial.

McKnight, 16, a former Calabar High School midfielder, is a part of Austrian outfit Anif and is the second player from the Craig Butler-led Phoenix Academy to sign with a top European club.

#slideshowtoggler { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler A { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler IMG { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}
                  1/1

About two weeks ago, 16-year-old Kevaughn, Atkinson also from Calabar, signed for German giant Bayern Munich in a five-year deal.
                  The details of the contract are still being worked on, said Butler, and the youngster should be joining the French outfit in January.
                  When contacted via Skype, McKnight was very elated.
                  "I played a couple of games and I think they liked my stamina and my skill level," McKnight told the Observer.
                  "It's a dream come true for me and I am just working to set the stage for other Jamaicans. They just have to stay focused and remember that you have to make a lot of sacrifices," was his advice for other young aspiring Jamaican footballers eyeing the professional ranks.
                  As for the language, McKnight has no problem, saying "I speak French fairly well" as he spent time in the French-speaking side of Canada.
                  Lille are the current French champions and this season signed former Chelsea and Liverpool player, Joe Cole.
                  Lille are currently third in the standings on 25 points behind leaders Paris St Germain and Montpellier on 30 each.
                  They are playing alongside Italian giant Inter Milan and CSK Moscow in the lucrative UEFA Champions League.
                  Meanwhile, Butler said his motivation to help young footballers be the best they can be comes out of the the lack of opportunities that stifled the promising career of one of his favourite schoolboy footballers and Jamaica College teammate, Richard 'Pot Cover' McDonald.
                  "That has being an inspiration for me... he didn't get the chance (and) to me he could have been the answer to Jamaica's goalscoring problems in the '80s. He was strong, skilful, intelligent and just didn't get the opportunity," said Butler.
                  "Every time I see a young kid, I remember 'Cover' and just want to give them the opportunity," said Butler.

Nice! - Shows talent abounds! ...and that there was at least 1 Jamaican 'back-a yaad' who displayed hand at developing young talent.

...dare say there must be others 'back-a yaad' with the talent to do that 'developing'...but for one reason or another may not be working at it.

Could it be, as Paul keeps saying, 'the system'=the football adminstrators' policies and plan do not encourage such persons to contribute?

Could it be Butler persevered despite tremendous disappointment with access or assistance given? ...and finally was driven to leave Jamaica to 'come again' (i.e. attack the on-going creation of his Jamaica rooted Phoenix Academy)?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Manu hab a lot a quality playahs to cover such losses. If yuh lose yuh most influential playah yuh ah guh struggle especially when dere is no quality similar to accomodate di loss. Arsenal loose Viera an nuh recover yet.

Comment

More than Likely Baout Craig

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Nice! - Shows talent abounds! ...and that there was at least 1 Jamaican 'back-a yaad' who displayed hand at developing young talent.

...dare say there must be others 'back-a yaad' with the talent to do that 'developing'...but for one reason or another may not be working at it.

Could it be, as Paul keeps saying, 'the system'=the football adminstrators' policies and plan do not encourage such persons to contribute?

Could it be Butler persevered despite tremendous disappointment with access or assistance given? ...and finally was driven to leave Jamaica to 'come again' (i.e. attack the on-going creation of his Jamaica rooted Phoenix Academy)?
                      If you're not allowed you find a place to create players. Funny how a good enough club in Austria (would you believe) trust him. Paul

Comment

What About Caoches

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                        Losing yuh most influential and creative playah will do dat every time.
                        Maybe losing a good teacher of the game is gone as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Dem program fi excuse......man u had alot of good players,as if they became good on thier own ,coaches and systems that made them good are irrelevant when you want an excuse .

its in the jamaican psyche,dem nuh ave a clue.A perfect example is Roy hodgson ,players lost confidence in a coach and his system,a different coach using same players in a different system took them from a relegation fight to upper midtable.

my youth leff it alone ,your excuse is programmed to blame the players in your world the system and coaches get a bly....juss say suh.

Arsenal loose Viera and are in the top 4 with CL league games every season.Is that what you call not recovering,i think they went to CL final too.

Comment

There you go, Paul.
                            Let nothing deter you from your efforts.
                            Lord knows we need more like you and Butler.

Comment

?

Dem program fi excuse......man u had alot of good players,as if they became good on thier own ,coaches and systems that made them good are irrelevant when you want an excuse .

its in the jamaican psyche,dem nuh ave a clue.A perfect example is Roy hodgson ,players lost confidence in a coach and his system,a different coach using same players in a different system took them from a relegation fight to upper midtable.

my youth leff it alone ,your excuse is programmed to blame the players in your world the system and coaches get a bly....juss say suh.

Arsenal loose Viera and are in the top 4 with CL league games every season.Is that what you call not recovering,i think they went to CL final too.

????????????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X