• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Terry charged

CHARGED! England captain Terry in the dock over racist row with Ferdinand

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:09 PM on 21st December 2011

John Terry WILL face criminal charges over his alleged racist comments towards Anton Ferdinand.
    The Crown Prosecution Service announced this afternoon that they have authorised his prosecution.
    Terry will appear before West London Magistrates' Court on February 1. He has been recommended for prosecution for 'a racially aggravated public order offence.'

Looking troubled: John Terry, flanked by Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas, before discovering he faces criminal charges over his alleged racism row with QPR's Anton Ferdinand

Reacting to the news, Terry said: 'I am disappointed with the decision to charge me and hope to be given the chance to clear my name as quickly as possible.
    'I have never aimed a racist remark at anyone and count people from all races and creeds among my closest friends.

'I will fight tooth and nail to prove my innocence. I have campaigned against racism and believe there is no place for it in society.'
    The case will not go to the Crown Court and the maximum punishment available is a fine of £2,500
    'I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queen's Park Rangers and Chelsea,' said Alison Saunders, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for London.

Race-row: John Terry was accused of making racist comments to Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand at Loftus Road on October 23

'The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case.
    'He is now summonsed with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice his trial.'
    The England captain has denied racially abusing the Queens Park Rangers defender during the Barclays Premier League match on October 23.
    Terry is alleged to have called Ferdinand a 'f******* black c***' in last month's defeat at QPR.

Flash point: Defenders Ferdinand and Terry argue during heated London derby

Terry has been interviewed by the police, as have a number of witnesses, and the CPS will decide if there is the evidence, which includes extensive video footage supplied by Sky, to bring charges.

Terry is supported by Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas, and the Football Association have allowed him to remain England captain, agreeing with boss Fabio Capello he should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
    The FA will complete their inquiry into the incident once the police investigation is concluded.
    After the announcement, a Chelsea statement read: 'Chelsea Football Club today received notification that the Crown Prosecution Service has charged John Terry with a racially aggravated public order offence.

'John has made it clear he denies the charge and is determined to do all he can to prove his innocence. Chelsea FC has always been fully supportive of John in this matter and will continue to be so.

'The club finds all forms of discrimination abhorrent and we are proud of the work we undertake campaigning on this important issue. Chelsea will not be commenting further on the subject while the legal process runs its course.'

Terry is due to play for Chelsea away to Tottenham on Thursday night as his club attempt to stay in contention for the Barclays Premier League title.
    He picked up a minor achilles injury during an open training session at Stamford Bridge on Monday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1hBTVurK5

Video evidence supposed to exist. I've always wondered why Sky covered his mouth when they played the clip.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

How come Terry get charge and Suarez wasn't?? nuh de same racist remarks dem accused of?
      Peter R

Comment

wouldn't you say Suarez get the easier option?

Don't the FA also hold a hearing for him?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking? what do you mean by easier option? do you mean that he got off to an extent because he wasn't charged? well yes, because I am wondering why terry is charged and he isnt for what looks like identical incidents.

It would appear that if Terry is found guilty by the FA (arent they also reviewing the incident?) he should also get an 8 match ban.

If he is guilty of the charge he gets a record I suppose and a $3,000 fine.
          Peter R

Comment

the fact is, if convicted Terry will have criminal charge for been a racist forever on his record. I don't don't know the fine for this but it could involve Jail or community service.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I think I acknowledged that (the record) in my post. The charge carries a 2,500 pound fine if guilty (which I rounded to $3,000) the reports I heard on BBC said nothing of a possible jail term or community service....like unuh nuh read mi pos' or wha'??

I am still trying to get feedback on why one was charged and the other not... seems like a discrepancy... maybe because he (Suarez)is one-eighth black him get a bly ...
              Peter R

Comment

From the papers

What happens to the FA disciplinary process?

The FA’s inquiry into the Terry allegations was well advanced when the police investigation began, but has been on hold ever since. It will remain so until the legal process has run its course. The risk that an FA disciplinary verdict could prejudice Terry’s trial means the FA has no choice but to wait for the court process to conclude. The FA will request the CPS file on the case before it decides whether Terry has a case to answer under its own rules.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks for that piece of info...the postponement of the FA review can help Chelsea especially if there is a ban than he can spread over two seasons..
                  Peter R

Comment

Simple suarez isn't white. Suarez was insulting himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Video evidence supposed to exist. I've always wondered why Sky covered his mouth when they played the clip.
                      Lazie, there is no question he used the words "black c***". However, in his defense, the clip I believe you are referring to shows him making a comment that is partially blocked out by another player obscuring his words in mid-sentence.

The argument his defenders have put forward is that he was saying in that sentence something along the lines of "I didn't call you a black c***, you f-ing dweeb". The part blocked out was "didn't call you"...so there you go.

To be honest, I don't believe these kinds of remarks are made on the field in England anymore (can't say that for the rest of Europe) and highly doubt Terry is guilty, but I wouldn't put my head on a block for it.

When I was a teenager playing high school football in Canada, I got red carded for hoofing another player in his crotch for calling me a similar racist name in a semi final clash that we were leading late 2-0. It broke out into an all out bench-clearing brawl which saw a good chunk of my white team mates putting fist to cuffs in my defense, which I won't ever forget.

I missed the first leg of a two leg final in a year when I was the team (and the league's top scorer). After a 0-0 tie over two legs, we eventually lost the championship in the second leg on penalty kicks. I will never forget the stupidity of not controlling my emotions.

I believe most professionals of Terry's caliber get this. They have black team mates, black coaches etc. etc. so it doesn't foot. Either way, if he is proven guilty...throw the book at him and lock him up with Suarez...but my presumption is that he is innocent until proven otherwise.
                      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Hey Paul, now I understand why you did FAIRLY well in the fantasy league - you have a good imagination there. Which part a you was "league's top scorer" and yuh nuh know nuttin bout ball??? What kinda league dat was??? You were the Fredy Adu of the league????
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                          Hey Paul, now I understand why you did FAIRLY well in the fantasy league - you have a good imagination there. Which part a you was "league's top scorer" and yuh nuh know nuttin bout ball??? What kinda league dat was??? You were the Fredy Adu of the league????
                          Don' worry 'bout me my yout', mi might nuh know nuttin' bout ball, but mi still know more dan yu!!! But truth be known, now that you mention it, I WAS the Freddy Awho of the league...except the only difference is that mi did know when fi stop, Freddy still a gwaan like him is big balla
                          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Gotcha!!! Yawd fowl easy fi ketch!!!! Fredy Adu has been lying about his age from ever since. Adu, at 18, was playing against some 14 year olds, that's why he looks so good.

Right Missah Barrsitah???
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                              How come Terry get charge and Suarez wasn't?? nuh de same racist remarks dem accused of?
                              Peter there is a simple explanation for that, the reason why Terry was charged is because the police recieved complaints about the incident so they had to investigate it. The reason why Suarez wasn't charged was because Evra did not make a formal complaint to the law,is compaint was made via Man U to the FA. I hope that helps to clarify your query.

Comment

Working...
                              X