Luis Suarez hit with 8 match ban.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see this being halved on appeal
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      it all has to do with context. him and evra was not having tea and crumpets in an english garden .... he intended to be offensive in the context which is why i thought his defence was weak ... better him did apologise and seh .... "i didn't realise" .... for him to get off would mean that contextually and otherwise it was OK and at the moment, the FA has to seem as if it is taking a strong stand against racism .... WC 2018 in russia is looming in the background...

They have to take a strong stance and that is good for them IF the evidence is irrefutable. It is unacceptable for anyone, red, green, blue or whatever to use racist slang or be subjected to it. You may recall a few years ago the Spanish FA fining one of their clubs a paltry 7000 pounds (or some such thing) for their fans racist behaviour, or eto coming out against racism in Spain to no effect. We can't have that. This is what the FA should be doing against perpetrators.

ALL THAT SAID -- my problem with this complaint is that all now, Evra is the only witness when 22 man and 4 ref deh 'bout. Dat no right!! AND Evra also admit that he called Suarez by derogatory names as well - Dat no right eda!! The fix, the fix, the fix...it is terrible.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

what derogatory names? calling someone an @$$hole is derogatory but it is not racist ..... consider this....suarez SAID what it was he called him and further went on to say that he did nothing wrong and that it was a term of endearment in uruguay ... the FA would be FOOLISH to accept that as exculpatory!

he should have just apologised while pleading ignorance, his sentence would have been lighter.

However, English footballer Clarke Carlisle, a member of the PFA's management committee and member of the Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card campaigns, said that cultural differences were no mitigation. "Ignorance is not an excuse," he said.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Somebody give Gus Poyet a rope!
          Poyet comes out in support of Suarez again and backs fellow Uruguayan 'to the death'

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:44 PM on 21st December 2011

Gus Poyet has branded the eight-match ban handed out to Luis Suarez as 'incredible' and says he backs his fellow Uruguayan 'to the death'.
          The Liverpool striker has been banned for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.
          Suarez was handed his huge suspension and £40,000 fine on Tuesday night after the ruling by an FA independent regulatory commission.

Row: Luis Suarez (left) and Patrice Evra clashed as United and Liverpool drew

The Liverpool striker is expected to appeal the punishment, with his defence claiming that due to cultural differences he was unaware that language acceptable in his country was viewed as racist in Europe.

Sportsmail understands Suarez told the commission, which also included former Sunderland manager Denis Smith and Sheffield and Hallamshire FA chairman Brian Jones, that he addressed Evra using the word ‘negrito’.
          Full support: Brighton boss Gus Poyet says he backs Suarez 'to the death'

Poyet, manager of Brighton, said Suarez had suffered from cultural differences between England and Uruguay - and that in the South American country people were referred to as 'blacks' in an affectionate way.
          He also attacked Evra, saying the French player was 'no saint'.
          Poyet told Ultimas Noticias newspaper in Uruguay: 'The ban is incredible, shocking, it's disproportionate. I back Luis to death.
          'Things have happened before with Evra. He is not a saint. He is a controversial player.
          'I don't know in which world we are going to live in from now on people. People will accuse each other of anything.
          'Suarez just arrived [in the Premier League] and there are things that he has to learn when you are in another country because they might be normal in your country but perhaps they are not considered that way in other parts of the world.
          'I have tried to explain that we live with coloured people in Uruguay. We share different experiences with them.

'We play football, we share parties. We are born, we grow up and we die with them. We call them 'blacks' in a natural way, even in an affectionate way.

'That is the way we were brought up. We are integrated and there are no problems from either side.

Warning: PFA chief executive Gordan Taylor

'I've explained how the Uruguay people and the South Americans experience these situations with coloured people. I've been many years in England and I understand them. I know how to deal with it, but Luis has only recently arrived here.'
          Uruguay's national director of sports, Ernesto Irurueta, called the ban 'exaggerated, absurd and out of place.'
          Uruguay's head coach Oscar Tabarez said he would continue to support Suarez.

Flashpoint: Suarez was charged with abusing Evra at Anfield

Tabarez said: 'He has out full support and solidarity because seen from a distance this seems like an excessive punishment.'
          And his international team-mates have also come out in support of Suarez.
          Uruguay captain Diego Lugano said: 'I can't believe it. They're making a big mistake. It's obvious that in England there's a racism problem they're trying to eradicate, and that's good, but this sentence has no solid arguments.

WHAT LIVERPOOL SAID:
          • Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision.
          • We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone.
          • LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable — without compromise. It is our strong held belief that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act.
          • It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented.
          • It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him.

'Luis is a victim. I can't understand how a player like Evra can do this. He's breaking all the codes of football.

'We all know what kind of person Luis is and the values he has.'
          Another Uruguayan, Lazio winger Alvaro Gonzalez said: 'All of us who know Luis, we know that if he made this remark it wasn't (meant to be) insulting.

'We Uruguayans, and more so in football, use terms that can be wrongly interpreted by people from other places...it's not a reason to call a Uruguayan a racist.
          'Maybe we end up paying for entering other, perhaps more closed cultures and which surely have discriminated against Evra at some moment for him to feel attacked in this situation.'

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor believes Suarez should have been told what is right and wrong as soon as he arrived in England.
          Man in the middle: Ref Andre Marriner had to speak to Evra and Suarez at Anfield

WHAT THE FA SAID:
          • Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match.
          • The insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour.
          • Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000.
          • The penalty is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.

He said: 'This is a situation involving two of our biggest clubs and a very sensitive time and it reiterates the message we want to get out.

‘We are a multicultural society and a cosmopolitan league and players must have equal respect for people regardless of their nationality or skin colour.

‘You can understand Liverpool being upset as they are a top quality club with a top quality manager but perhaps it is a timely reminder that players new to this country need to be advised about what is unacceptable.’

Taylor added that Suarez’s hefty punishment was an key message especially after the outcry at FIFA president Sepp Blatter’s remarks - later retracted - that racism on the pitch should be settled by a handshake.
          Ban: Liverpool striker Luis Suarez faces an eight-match suspension

'This was an independent commission experienced in law and football and they must have had compelling evidence, and it sends out a very strong message to the rest of the world.
          ‘I understand the point about cultural differences but if you come to this country all players have to abide by not just the laws of the game but the laws of the land as well.
          ‘Referring to someone’s skin colour has got to be offensive - it’s self-evident. No one can say the FA have ducked this issue and bearing in mind outcry in this country over Sepp Blatter’s remarks it sends out an important message.
          ‘This is a timely reminder that the FA, the PFA and the clubs to continue education programmes particularly for players coming from abroad that it is never right to make reference to a person’s skin colour or nationality.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz1hC2AyMeJ

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            what derogatory names? calling someone an @$$hole is derogatory but it is not racist ..... consider this....suarez SAID what it was he called him and further went on to say that he did nothing wrong and that it was a term of endearment in uruguay ... the FA would be FOOLISH to accept that as exculpatory!

he should have just apologised while pleading ignorance, his sentence would have been lighter.

However, English footballer Clarke Carlisle, a member of the PFA's management committee and member of the Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card campaigns, said that cultural differences were no mitigation. "Ignorance is not an excuse," he said.
            I don't disagree that his ignorance should not be exculpatory, but the sentence should be. If you go to Trinidad and call a man a "******" an' dem lock you up, wouldn't there be any expectation by your lawyers of mitigation of your sentence based on cultural ignorance especially if there was no intent to be racial? I understand that ignorance of the law does not mean you didn't break it, but the sentence usually takes such circumstances into account.

The fact that the man admitted it - when there were no other witnesses - speaks volumes to his ignorance of pseudo legal proceedings (bad advisors), and his ignorance of the term's significance to Evra.

Unu jus' wan' fi use anyting to bring down my big balla - it no right!!
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

as i said, his insistence that he did nothing wrong must have been a MAJOR aggravating factor. fess up, plead ignorance (in that case it could have been mitigating)

suarez did hmself no favours there ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Callng someone a "monkey" in Uruguay is a term of endearment? I believe the word "Negrito" is used but "monkey"?

Comment

... it's a routine choice...

Why wouldn't they appeal?? They would be remiss not to. I don't think there is any additional penalty if you lose the appeal.
                  Peter R

Comment

Well then if you feel so bad blame Liverpool for not briefing him on racism in football in England then. So many black players have suffer from this on the pitch, I have no sympathy fi them, Terry next.

Him coulda good like goal, him fi get punishment. A white man from up North can use his excuse that him call him friend them that everyday as well. Hopefully he will learn from this. If you excuse Suarez because of his ignorance then you have to allow other to play the ingnorance game as well. You hear Terry's excuse?
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did he admit to calling him "monkey"? or was there such a claim? and what language was used? Spanish, English, French or Wolof?
                      Peter R

Comment

you got that right, and that public statement from Liverpool will not help either.
                        They are appealing, at the same time blaming the FA and Evra without even first getting the offical transcript from the hearing.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What did he admit to calling him? Since you are defending his actions...

Comment

who says I am defending his actions??? I simply asked some questions as this is the first I heard about the monkey business... don't jump to conclusions yute.

He admitted to calling him "negro" and "negrito".
                            Peter R

Comment

What is your motive for asking these questions?

Comment

knowledge... if he called him monkey he definitely crossed the line... I have for some empathy for him because I understand the term negro or negrito is culturally acceptable to him... I have already posted my opinion on the incident. Calling him monkey if that's true is a different story especially if the two were used together.
                                Peter R

Comment

Working...
                                X