Bent apologises over Xmas shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent apologises over Xmas shopping

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent has issued an apology on Twitter after fans registered their displeasure as a picture, apparently of the striker shopping on Sunday, surfaced online.

GettyImages
    Darren Bent missed Sunday's game against Liverpool.
    Villa lost their game against Liverpool 2-0 and were second best for much of the game in the absence of the suspended Gabriel Agbonlahor and strike partner Bent who picked up a thigh injury in training on Tuesday.

Manager Alex McLeish kept Bent's injury under wraps from the media ahead of the game and defended his decision after the game.

He said: ''Darren had a scan during the week. It confirmed he had a grade one injury, I didn't reveal it because I wanted to keep things back from Liverpool.

''You have to understand that. I didn't want Liverpool knowing our starting line-up. If players are injured, I don't necessarily think we have to declare that they are injured.''

But Bent was forced to respond to criticism on the social networking site after he was seen picking up some last-minute Christmas shopping while the game was on.

He said: ''Nothing is more important to me than playing football, sadly injury meant I wasn't able to do that today. Gutted not to be involved.

''I hope to be back very soon. Watched the majority of the game on TV. Never knew popping out would cause an issue and for that I apologise.''

Jonathan Fear, editor of fans' website, Vital Villa, said: "If Darren was told to go home by the club doctors then that explains things and why he wasn't at the game. But even if he does care for Villa, symbolically going out shopping during the latter part of the game makes it look to the fans that he doesn't give a stuff for Villa.''
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Bent get buss! I recall reading an interview with Rio. Chelsea and MU were neck and neck for the title, Chelsea were leading Bolton and MU were losing -2 to Everton. Because of injury he missed the game and seeing what was happening he said he took his kid and went for a walk. He said these MAn City fans keep driving around mocking him that MU was losing while Chelsea was winning (seeing the dudes in Blue Moon Rising, I wonder if they were the ones).

Maybe Bent saw they had lost the game and went shopping to get away from it.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I believe TVs come with an On/Off switch... is he (are they) like those fans who walk out when the team is down and five minutes remain?... never could understand; I always factor in the time to get out and make it part of the experience... if it means staying seated and watching the groundsmen do their thing..
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        I believe TVs come with an On/Off switch... is he (are they) like those fans who walk out when the team is down and five minutes remain?... never could understand; I always factor in the time to get out and make it part of the experience... if it means staying seated and watching the groundsmen do their thing..
        I've seen games where a player is stepping up to take a penalty and players on the field turn their backs, I recall Fergie assistant, holding down his head, I'ce seen fans turn their back ... just not wanting to see. Maybe its the same for these players .. just don't want to see the loss.

Comment

...I can understand to some extent...but I force myself to watch even when the Mutes (your team) has us down... I went to a baseball game once in Toronto when the Blue Jays played some team and were down by three or four runs in the bottom of the ninth, by then the stadium was half empty... those who left missed the rally to win it...
          yeah, back then I was into baseball especially the waggonist years when they won back to back...
          Peter R

Comment

"Mutes" ..... hey!

Comment

that it is too much for me .... but i guess dem get paid big money so they should be prepared to jump even if not told "how high"!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X