• Show
Clear All

• Walk good Andy

RSL's Williams hangs 'em up after 14-year MLS career
    Veteran Andy Williams calls it a day, joins RSL technical staff
    December 5, 2011
    Matthew Doyle
    MLSsoccer.com RSL midfielder Andy Williams

Photo Credit: Getty Images ..Real Salt Lake's veteran midfielder Andy Williams called time on his career Monday, retiring after 14 years in the league to join the RSL technical staff.

Williams, 34, was the last remaining member of the original RSL team, joining the club with the first pick of the 2004 MLS Expansion Draft and spending the rest of his playing days representing the Claret and Cobalt. He was a crucial part of the 2009 MLS Cup championship side, contributing two goals and six assists off the bench that year and playing the full 120 minutes in the title game.

Though his numbers dipped in 2011 — he managed just two goals and one assist — he was durable, appearing 31 times and logging 1970 minutes, the latter number his highest since 2005.

Williams played 332 career regular season matches in his career. He amassed 30 goals in that time. His 86 career assists place him eighth in MLS history. He also played in 19 playoff matches, socring two goals and nine assists.

The stability and longevity he found at RSL were a far cry from Williams' first six years in the league. He came into MLS with a bang in 1998, leading the Columbus Crew in assists during the same year that he represented Jamaica in the World Cup. But his stay in Columbus didn't last long, and he was on his way to Miami to play for the Fusion in 2000.

He then spent a year-and-a-half with New England, before a brief stop in New York in 2002. Williams landed in Chicago for the 2003 and 2004 seasons, helping lead the Fire to the 2003 US Open Cup title.

Williams — who was born in Toronto — was a mainstay for the Reggae Boyz during the entirety of his MLS career. He represented Jamaica 92 times, including at the 1998 World Cup. He finished his career with 13 international goals.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Good job! All the best for the future!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well Done Bomber !!!!
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Assassin you jerk! For a second I thought Andy Williams had died based on your subject line. You is sometin' to rhatid! - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

'ow dead man muss walk?!!! a wha kinda zombie bizniz dat yuh inna, eh jb?!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            'ow dead man muss walk?!!! a wha kinda zombie bizniz dat yuh inna, eh jb?!
            LoL Gamma. Normally when you say walk good you are paying your respects to a lost loved one. That's why Assassin tricked me so.

J-who? J-what? Is Jokes yu got jokes! Everybody knows that Yuttie is JB and JB is Yuttie. - T.K.

Comment

A whe you come from. A suppen you tell you brethren when you nah see them fi a while. Certainly won't see Andy playing again. Farewell nuh mean death.

Glad me get you outta hiding still. What a gwaan???
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                A whe you come from. A suppen you tell you brethren when you nah see them fi a while. Certainly won't see Andy playing again. Farewell nuh mean death.

Glad me get you outta hiding still. What a gwaan???
                Is what yu mean whe mi come fram? "Walk good" is also something you tell yu bredren when dem pass on to the next life. So between you wanting to kill off Andy and Gamma wanting to tun de man inna zombie mi nuh too sure whe two a unno fram again.

Life is good Sass can't complain at all. Just waiting to see where my team, the GREAT D.C. United, will make their home next year. If we become Baltimore United I will swear off the team for good. - T.K.

Comment

DC to Baltimore.......tsk....tsk....tsk. Dump and Dumpier.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Well done though good an faithful soldier, ah hope yuh ball knowledge will not be ignored, Di bomber done himself an wi proud, big up ballah.

Comment

memba when him buss Forlan baggie innah di office..

Comment

Working...
                      X