• Show
Clear All

• Peter & Paul ....LUCAS

How Liverpool’s Lucas Leiva Became The World’s Best Defensive Midfielder

By Ben Cove

Posted: 30 November 2011
    Tags: football, Liverpool

Rate This Article:

An ever present for Brazil and Liverpool, the once-maligned destroyer has statistically outperformed his European peers for the last 18 months. Reds will be hoping today's scan on his left knee is positive...

Three years ago, Liverpool had the best midfield in the world. The Kop even sang a song about it. ‘We’ve got Xabi Alonso… Momo Sissoko… Gerrard and Mas-cher-aaaaa-noooooo!”
    Meanwhile on Merseyside, quietly trying to make his way in a new country with a starkly alien culture and very little initial grasp of the English language, was a young reserve player with flowing blond locks and a vivacious enthusiasm for the game.
    He’d arrived for big money, billed as a prodigious creative midfielder from football’s exotic homeland of flair and fancy. Still a teenager, he had just one senior season under his belt, but in that one campaign he’d led Gremio to the Copa Libertadores final while still a teenager, and in the process became the youngest ever recipient of the Brazilian league’s award for player of the year. Younger than Tevez had been. Younger than Kaka, than Ronaldo, than Zico even.
    Goldielocks had undeniable pedigree. But reputation counts for nothing when you’re trying to break into Rafa Benitez’s glittering, Champions League-winning engine room.
    He’d wait for an injury or a suspension, and then stumble into a cauldron of pressure and impatience. In replacing Xabi Alonso, the world’s foremost holding midfielder, or Steven Gerrard, the league’s ultimate deep-lying attacking force, this timid novice was expected to swim a medley in the deep end against the currant of football’s most ferocious and unforgiving tide. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy. And so it proved.
    Many Liverpool fans detested Lucas with an unhealthy passion.
    Lucas Pezzini Leiva is an educated middle class lad from the small city of Dourados, close to the border of Paraguay in Brazil’s south west. He was prepped for a career in business or economics before his outstanding ability on the football pitch took over. But during his first couple of years in England, he might’ve considered falling back on his academic qualities.
    Many Liverpool fans detested Lucas with an unhealthy passion. As far as they were concerned, he was overhyped, overpaid and lacking the cajones to make an impact in the big league. His fleeting appearances offered little evidence of the sparkling report Benitez had attributed to him. He was both sloppy and inhibited. And what’s more, he wasn’t in any way creative. He didn’t even approach doors, let alone prise them open. Liverpool fans were expecting the new Kaka. But at his best, Lucas was a mild improvement on Igor Biscan. At his worst, he was a Sunday league chaser with the composure of a schizophrenic chicken.
    It all came to a head during the 2008/09 season. Leiva had been struggling to find his feet in the big league, and giving away a last minute penalty at Wigan, and then getting sent off in the derby against Everton – all in the space of seven days – only compounded his misery. Being booed by the Anfield faithful during a disappointing draw with Fulham could’ve been the last straw, but his manager protected his fledgling. “Some day, people will realise how good Lucas is,” forecasted Rafa Benitez.
    His reluctance to put a foot wrong was superseded by his drive to make a difference, to meet the ball, to commit defenders
    Fast forward three years and that day Benitez predicted has now been and gone…
    While Liverpool stuttered – initially in the latter days of Benitez’s reign, and then so markedly under Roy Hodgson – Lucas quietly, rapidly grew. His shyness evaporated as his shoulders became broader. His reluctance to put a foot wrong was superseded by his drive to make a difference, to meet the ball, to commit defenders, to probe with his passes, to rally the troops around him. That Lucas has become one of the pearls in Benitez’s Anfield legacy is testament to the Spaniard’s foresight and perseverance.
    Not only are Liverpool fans now in full agreement as to the multifacted qualities Lucas provides, the 24-year-old’s stock has risen dramatically in wider circles, too. He is a regular in the full Brazil national team and could well captain the Selecao on home soil at the next World Cup. Elsewhere, Kenny Dalglish has fended off approaches for Lucas from powerhouses in Spain and Italy in recent months.
    It’s little wonder there’s been interest. This season, the rebranded Lucas has been Liverpool’s best player. In the absence of Gerrard, and latterly of Carragher too, the dynamic Brazilian has developed into a focal point, and something of a natural leader. His fine example – superhuman work rate, cutting edge decision making, strength and desire in combat – has been an infectious influence among the newer signings beside him, and will only benefit his absent captain upon his 2012 return.
    He’s leading a synchronised visual masterpiece in the middle of the Premier League’s choppy waters.
    Leiva made more tackles and interceptions than anyone across Europe’s biggest four leagues last term. He’s already top of such stats this season. At Chelsea two weeks ago, he bossed from start to finish, gliding effortlessly around the Stamford Bridge turf, picking off Blues attacks and instinctively starting his own team’s counters in an instant. Last week at home to table-topping Man City, he played better still, stifling David Silva’s artistry and Yaya Toure’s power with his own single-handed combination of energy, craft and cunning. And last night, until his injury, he not only smashed Torres twice, he provided the rock-solid platform for Bellamy to wreak havoc.
    Meanwhile, he’s also punching well above his weight in pass completion stats, and the method and destination of his staple use of the ball has improved immeasurably. No longer does he take the easy option by popping the ball off sideways or backwards for the sake of it. No longer does he pass the buck. In a round about way, he is evolving into the creator he was originally billed to be. But in addition, he’s an enforcer and a water-carrier all rolled into one.
    Lucas Leiva not only looks at home swimming in football’s deep end these days, he’s leading a synchronised visual masterpiece in the middle of the Premier League’s choppy waters.
    And while Liverpool may no longer possess the greatest midfield in the world, they might just have one of the planet’s great midfielders of the next decade.
    Click here to follow Ben Cove on Twitter
    Other related stories you might like
    Liverpool Should Read This Before Signing Everton’s Royston Drenthe
    Liverpool Need To Replace Dirk Kuyt To find A Cutting Edge
    Liverpool: Suarez And Bellamy Should Start Every Game (And 5 Other Things We Learnt)
    When We Were Good: Liverpool In March 2009
    Click here for more Football and Sport stories
    Click here to follow Sabotage Times on Twitter
    Click here to follow Sabotage Times on Facebook

Rate This Article:

9:49 am, 30-Nov-2011MG
    excellent article - i was a doubter at first but he really has turned into a key player, defensively excellent and now offers something going forward. that he's a regular for the brazilian national team tells you all you need to know. and now he's injured! - hope its not for long... would we have said that a couple of years ago!!?

10:14 am, 30-Nov-2011Swany
    Great article Ben,I have to say there will be a lot of our fans a little bit embarrased with how they treated Lucas(myself)included! Unfortunately for the lad he seemed to get the brunt of the fans frustration whether from armchair fans shouting at the t.v to the Kop loyal but like a phoenix rising from the flames the young Brazilian during probably our clubs worst time rose to the fore embracing a new found maturity,confidence and sheer bloody mindedness to prove all those doubters wrong!People forget just how difficult it must've been for the young boy coming to a whole new world(weather,food,language,friends)all thousands of miles away and it now shows just how strong mentally Lucas was to overcome all this and have 40 odd thousand fans who initially wanted desperately for him to succeed turn against him in such a way.Personally i am delighted for the kid,he loves Liverpool,holds his own if not more against the best and can now surely be one of the first names on Kenny's team sheet.Long may he battle away in Red I say cos now everyone would love a Lucas in there team!!!!

10:16 am, 30-Nov-2011Jason
    Great article, I must say I have flown in the face of convention and always thought he would come good, that was based on Benitez view, loyalty and arguing with united players telling me he was rubbish. Future is looking brighter!

10:21 am, 30-Nov-2011CaseYNWA
    Fantastic article! Spot on. We can only hope that Lucas isn't seriously injured, although, given that he's never had a serious injury I fear for the worst. He had the look of a man who knew something bad just happened.

10:42 am, 30-Nov-2011Kumar
    Nice to see Lucas became Kops favourite now. Get well soon Lucas. YNWA

10:48 am, 30-Nov-2011aditya
    excellent article... ynwa

10:56 am, 30-Nov-2011NIck
    Great article! Knew he'd cut it as Rafa would see him every day in training and I was never the type to think I knew more than him (pity others didn't have the faith). Let's hope Andy Carroll can do the same and prove just how good he can be after being written off by so many!

11:22 am, 30-Nov-2011Jesmond Moore (Malta)
    Great Article - I was one of Lucas' main doubters. Now I am one of Lucas' main admirers - He proved everybody wrong!! Get well soon and hope you keep up the excellent job you're doing. YNWA

11:24 am, 30-Nov-2011BigRed1
    At last - Lucas gets the reviews he deserves. Superb player who just needed to find his feet. We have no other player like him so I'm really hoping the injury isn't too bad. One of our newer sigings reminds me of him in some ways; Coates. Cracking player who just needs a little bit of time to fully adapt. Things looking good... If only sodding goalies didn't play blinders against the lads it would indeed be celebration time for the Red half of the city.

11:33 am, 30-Nov-2011Zubs
    Fantastic article Ben. I could have never imagined Lucas become such a wonderful influential player. Everytime he makes a tackle or makes a pass, it puts a smile on my face! I for one disliked him and blamed him for the downfall of LFC in recent years. I am now ashamed! Would it have been a different story if Lucas broke into a Sucessfull team full of stars. He probably would have shone from the beginning. Don't you think? Anyway, I hope Lucas forgives all those LFC fans that doubted him. Hope he's back soon. He was missed in the last few mins of yesterday's game. Get back soon Lucas. YNWA.

11:45 am, 30-Nov-2011angsta
    Three years ago, Liverpool had the best midfield in the world. Of course they did.

11:45 am, 30-Nov-2011DBsKnees
    The title of this article makes me laugh. Yes he's improved no end - but this is typical Liverpool-supporting hyperbole. Do any other clubs exist outside Liverpool fans' fantasy world? World's best....pffff

12:04 pm, 30-Nov-2011Rob
    I'm a lifelong LFC fan and have to disagree. While Lucas has improved that's going from an abysmal starting point. I'd rate Sissoko superior and Lukas is not fit to tie Mascher's boots.

12:05 pm, 30-Nov-2011SpitTheDog
    DBsKnees -take a look at the Opta stats! Great article.

12:09 pm, 30-Nov-2011Gavin
    My do Liverpool have a player on their hands!Would be proud to watch him Captain Brazil one day.

12:25 pm, 30-Nov-2011Tom
    The WORLDS best defensive midfielder?! As in the best player in his position in the whole world of football?!! Ridiculous! Fair enough he's improved (not that difficult considering the level he displayed in his first season), but to call him the best in the world is just nonsense. I suppose Carroll was a total bargain as well?

12:37 pm, 30-Nov-2011steven
    He has become a better player than mascherino in that he is breaking up play and making fantastic fast passes to start an attack.last night he made a pass that Alonso would have been proud of.He may not be the best midfielder in the world yet but he is going to be because he is still improving every game.

1:22 pm, 30-Nov-2011corey todd
    ahhhh man, reading this article gives me goosebumps. excites me a million times about the future success for liverpool fc

2:00 pm, 30-Nov-2011Dan H
    The fact he looks good just shows how desperately poor Liverpool are at the minute, speaks volumes for the lack of talent in that position for Brazil too.

2:35 pm, 30-Nov-2011chris b
    dan h what r u on bout the only thing were not looking good at at the mo is the finishing.

2:37 pm, 30-Nov-2011JFT96
    He's become a decent premiership player, playing in an improving team. He's still a million miles away from becoming the best in his position in the world, he's not even the best in the Premiership. I'm not sure even the most die hard of Liverpool fans would agree that our midfield was the world's best in 2008. United, Barca and Chelsea all had better. Articles like this make Liverpool fans look stupid and oblivious to the rest of the football world. Supporting young talent is great but lets not hype them as the next big thing and put extra pressure on the lads.

2:44 pm, 30-Nov-2011chris b
    masherano's skill has never been doubted but he's let down by his temper thats where i feel lucas just pips him as a better defensive midfielder and i think alonso's creative play is better than lucas but breaking up play and defending i'd say lucas is the better, when you think of most defensive midfielders there just normal midfielders in a defensive position who may look better than lucas at going forward but no where near as good when the balls going the other way.

2:50 pm, 30-Nov-2011Mergen
    *The fact he looks good just shows how desperately poor Liverpool are at the minute' ******** off you stupid ********.

2:55 pm, 30-Nov-2011Robert
    I cannot see our starting 11 without him. He is more solid and sure of himself. And that is down the Rafa's spotting him and Kenny filling him with confidence. Ofcourse the haters out there will disagree like MANURE fans out there who thought Anderson would be a combination of Cantona/Keane but, Lucas has shown his skin is thick. The man can play football. I was worried last night when he got injured but right now, in the EPL, there is no one better in that position. Right now, att his moment, no team can boast that they have won twice at Stamford Bridge in 9 days and that is all down to KD and his managerial skills. I also see now why we paid 17m for Henderson. Two more years and we will have a Championship winning side.

2:58 pm, 30-Nov-2011Eamonn
    He deserves to be recognized as one of the premier defensive midfielders in the game. His tackling is as highly effective as Mascherano's ever was, but its far less gung-ho or risky. He plays with a level of smoothness and class that Masch never really had. And his ball distribution is infinitely better than Mascherano's. His ability to raise his game for big matches is also totally unrivalled. He is clearly the best DM in the Premier League, and certainly deserves to be in the conversation for best in the world.

3:15 pm, 30-Nov-2011Alex Hathiramani
    He is incredible, can't believe I ever doubted him as a Liverpool fan, sometimes I question how much I know about football. Well done Lucas, hope you are well!

4:25 pm, 30-Nov-2011Chris
    Great article! Been banging on about him for the past year to my friends but they all still think he's rubbish! And to those saying Pool bias, I think Ben is a Brighton fan like myself, so I don't think he's too Liverpool biased(Although I do agree, best in the world is a bit over the top!)

4:32 pm, 30-Nov-2011Peacs
    "Lucas has shown his skin is thick" No Lucas has shown Scousers are thick.. Good player but nowhere near as good as the guff above suggests.

4:48 pm, 30-Nov-2011The Coin Toss (http://thecointoss.blog.com/)
    Great shout, him and Nigel De Jong battle it out not just for the title of the Premiership's best defensive mid, but also most underrated players. All those Lucas haters have disappeared quickly, probably onto their new sport of Carroll baiting.

5:04 pm, 30-Nov-2011Pavan
    One of the many Liverpool faithfuls to have booed this lad, hated this lad to the core and wanted him to leave so bad!!!! Hated his touch on the ball, hated his back or square pass and hoped nobody passed it to Lucas, but how times changed and now I adore the lad, awesome player, best defensive midfielder to have grazed EPL since the times of Roy Keane(hate that **************, but respect him for the player he was)... FUTURE CAPTAIN IN THE MAKING, LOYAL n deserves respect

6:39 pm, 30-Nov-2011Dave
    Utter nonsense, and the comments that have followed are even worse. The above garbage about him being the best DM in the league since Keane is laughable. Decent player, improved greatly but Liverpool are required to play with TWO dms because he can't do the job himself. At best, the 6th best DM in the EPL. Not even top 15 in Europe.

6:55 pm, 30-Nov-2011Dave
    Honest to god do you plastics even watch football? Embarrasibg rubbish he's improved but he's not the best defensive mid by some distance.

7:18 pm, 30-Nov-2011Sake
    Great article , once a frustrated fan watching Lucus bumble his way around the pitch , now I love watching his tiger attitude on defense , awareness when on the ball and pressured by opposition . Passing ability has got me on the edge of my seat . He loves the club , he's got the Liverpool fight in his heart .... A true legend of the future !!

7:29 pm, 30-Nov-2011Zac
    I totally agree. Mascherano was never half the tackler Lucas has turned out to be. If you have watched the last two Premier League games and last night's Carling Cup tie, you will realise this. I'm not sure how he even takes the ball of players sometimes but he does. He has been through the fire at Anfield and flourished. For that reason alone I rate him better than Masch.

7:41 pm, 30-Nov-2011Pavan
    Ok, name a brilliant DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER IN EPL!!! Don't tell me its Scott Parker, he is more a box-to-box midfielder. He's by far the best defensive midfielder. Name another player with the work-rate as much as his(in defensive play) and stopping the opposition's play. He proved it against Silva-Toure-Milner combination, one which devastated United!!!!

8:09 pm, 30-Nov-2011Nonsense
    In the W-O-R-L-D? Seriously? The comments section is even more ridiculous, "he's incredible", "spot on", "a true legend of the future", etc. GET REAL

8:46 pm, 30-Nov-2011Andy
    To all the haters....you are obviously very jealous fans of utd or another wanna be liverpool team. Rightly so too, who do you have who even comes close to Lucas? Lucas is certainly world class, and certainly a contender for 1st place!

10:11 pm, 30-Nov-2011Biggie
    Typical deluded Liverpool fans. But even I didn't think they could be THIS deluded...

10:16 pm, 30-Nov-2011Jon
    Do these people even watch football.. "6th best DM in the premier league" how delusional are you. Name me five better? Clown. He's been fantastic these last two seasons easily top 5 in the world, he robs the ball and recycles possession as well as anyone else in the world. What more do you want from a DM? 20 goals a season?

11:51 pm, 30-Nov-2011red11
    im a red fan av been all my life Lucas is getting better all the time ive always liked him too but yer he has done my ed in at times but that was more rafas fault than his own as he was put in games wen he wasnt ready but i guess thats made him what he his now an taking big strides to becoming a top center mid not quite ther yet like but getting ther i agree hes not the best since roy keane but hes doing just fine

12:24 am, 1-Dec-2011Eamonn
    I agree totally wit Jon's comment above. Its easy to say he's only average or that he is over-hyped and that ignorant 'plastic' fans haven't a clue while wily old veterans like yourselves really know the score. Your inherent superiority complex is only outdone by your blinding cynicism and arrogant refusal to change an antiquated opinion on a player who deserves better. I'm a lifelong fan and have stood in the Kop many times - just like all of you 'real fans', presumably - and if he's not the best DM in the league then who the hell, pray tell, is better?

12:49 am, 1-Dec-2011Whatever
    WIND UP!

1:15 am, 1-Dec-2011Dave
    Jon and Eamonn you silly little boys. Alex Song - better than Lucas. Scott Parker - better than Lucas. Michael Essien - better than Lucas. Sandro - better than Lucas. Nigel DeJong - better than Lucas. Marouane Felliani - better than Lucas and completely dominated him in this season's derby. And before anyone tries to claim that these players are not DMs, they are DMs. Each plays as their teams defensive midfielder. Lucas plays as ONE OF TWO defensive midfielders in Liverpool. When played in the centre as the lone defensive midfielder he is nothing to be getting excited about. It's much easier to look like a great DM when you're only doing half the work. Charlie Adam was better than Lucas against Chelsea, and just as good against City. It was also Charlie Adam who on both occasions was matched up against the better of the oppositions midfields. Lampard against Chelsea and Toure against City. Lucas was up against Gareth Barry in the City match. Lucas gives away FAR too many freekicks. His tackling success percentage over the last 18 months is poor and his passing is so slow and predictable. I've just realized how poor this article is and what blatant lies the writer has told and the important things he has failed to mention. "Leiva made more tackles and interceptions than anyone across Europe’s biggest four leagues last term." True, but he also LOST the most tackles out of anyone across Europe's biggest SIX leagues last term. "He is a regular in the full Brazil national team". True, but this is the worst Brazil team in living memory and the Brazilian fans don't want him in the team because they have a couple of much better DMs. Sandro was first choice until he got injured. Lucas was horrendous in the Copa America and showed how limited he is. "could well captain the Selecao on home soil at the next World Cup." A lie. There is ZERO chance he captains the team and it's likely he won't even start for Brazil in the World Cup. "Elsewhere, Kenny Dalglish has fended off approaches for Lucas from powerhouses in Spain and Italy in recent months." Another lie. Spanish powerhouses are Barca and Real. Neither would even consider him. Italian powerhouses are Inter, Milan and Juve. None of them want him. " This season, the rebranded Lucas has been Liverpool’s best player." Complete and utter garbage. Luis Suarez has been by far Liverpool's best player. Lucas might just scrap 5th place. Agger, Enrique and Reina have all been better than Lucas. "stifling David Silva’s artistry and Yaya Toure’s power with his own single-handed combination of energy, craft and cunning." What garbage. Adam marked Toure out of the game and had just as big a part in stopping the ball from reaching Silva. "And last night, until his injury, he not only smashed Torres twice, he provided the rock-solid platform for Bellamy to wreak havoc." And then he got injured fouling a player that didn't need to be fouled and likely ended his own season. Great stuff. And you've completely ignored how good Jay Spearing was last night in doing half of Lucas's job. "And while Liverpool may no longer possess the greatest midfield in the world, they might just have one of the planet’s great midfielders of the next decade." A really poor article ended with a piece of utter drivel.

1:16 am, 1-Dec-2011Dave
    Lucas is nothing more than another Dirk Kuyt.

*Name
    *Email
    *Comment

Submit

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

My opinion unlike Rafa who was glad to see him assume a defensive posture Kenny lets him push up as long as he tracks back and tackle like he is possesed.

This guy in two years will be a monster...30 million transfer clause in his next soon to be renewed contract.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

X - there is no question Lucas has improved. That penalty he gave away at Wigan screwed us that year. Anyway, it look like Chelski bruck him foot, but a so dem man roll. What is probably the most frustrating is that we have no one to come into the side that can break the opposition attacks up like him. I saw they just recalled Jonjo - groan. That's like putting a band aid on a gun shot wound.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

I would use spearing , Rafa a bring im long time and Kenny seems to have faith in him also.

Rafa vision is paying off, that youth academy is bearing fruit all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
          I would use spearing , Rafa a bring im long time and Kenny seems to have faith in him also.

Rafa vision is paying off, that youth academy is bearing fruit all over the place.
          Spearing? Not my choice. Can you see him marking Silva out of a game like Lucas did this past week? Or shutting down Chelsea's midfield? Not a chance. The line up I am most comfortable with now becomes:

==============Reina
          Johnson=====Carragher===Skrtel=====Enrique
          =================Agger
          =====Henderson===Adam====Downing
          ===========Suarez

The only question is whether Agger can play that role against the big balla dem but the reason I like him there is that he has an attacking mentality and is a sensible deep defender. Now is when I miss Masch and wish your bwoy Gerrard was fit.

If Lucas's injury is serious (eg ACL), we may have to go spend some money in January, especially because Kenny needs to win the Carling Cup.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

I think he will do fine , he is growing like Lucas now is the time to reward the youth, he is a tackler, doesnt have the vision like lucas , yet ! but chuss mi he is getting there ,he is going to run england midfield one day.

Prone to some silly cards , but I believe in him.Kenny should sit on his money this window ,let it loose to purchase an attacking midfielder if need be.I hear David Villa is in his radar.

We are on the move wi on the right track

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              I think he will do fine , he is growing like Lucas now is the time to reward the youth, he is a tackler, doesnt have the vision like lucas , yet ! but chuss mi he is getting there ,he is going to run england midfield one day.

Prone to some silly cards , but I believe in him.Kenny should sit on his money this window ,let it loose to purchase an attacking midfielder if need be.I hear David Villa is in his radar.

We are on the move wi on the right track
              We can't afford "fine". We need to overcome a 12 point league table deficit to win the league (queue de naysayer dem wid dem laff track), win the CCup and the FA Cup. Spearing can't carry us through all a dat.

Agreed though that we are on the right track, but I have been hearing that sh*t for 20 years. Now is the time.

Comment

It is about time yous clowns start showing Jangle some respek. About 2 seasons ago I TOLE yous that he was your best player, but as usual bighead Paul Marin laugh mi to scorn.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  It is about time yous clowns start showing Jangle some respek. About 2 seasons ago I TOLE yous that he was your best player, but as usual bighead Paul Marin laugh mi to scorn.
                  To show how dunce you are: 1) two seasons ago: he was far far far from our best player 2) two seasons later: he is still not our best player. However, he is probably our most improved player, that I will give you.

Comment

Huh? "Lucas Leiva Became The World’s Best Defensive Midfielder

Now this yuh call a WTF moment!
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Liverpool lose injured Lucas for season
                      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                      - Xavi

Comment

Come on now Zeppo, get with the times, "World's Best Defensive Midfielder!!!!
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                          Come on now Zeppo, get with the times, "World's Best Defensive Midfielder!!!!
                          You know, I haven't seen Lucas this season so I really can't judge either way.

But that just seems so typical of British football journalism: the best defensive midfielder in England automatically means best defensive midfielder in the world, best forward in England automatically means best forward in the world, etc., etc...
                          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                          - Xavi

Comment

This kind of thinking is not much different than in another country where "world champions" are declared for sports that no one else plays...
                            Peter R

Comment

ouch!!!! looks like 1776 all over again!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X