Whats wrong with this story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats wrong with this story?

'They can't beat us' - Jamaica coach confident team will make winning start against Barbados
    Published: Tuesday | November 29, 2011 1 Comment
    Jamaica Women's coach Vin Blaine.
    Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer
    Jamaica's Under-17 women's footballers will kick off their Caribbean Football Union (CFU) World Cup final-round qualifiers today, when they battle The Bahamas in the feature match of a double-header at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex, starting at 6 p.m.

In the opening game, Guyana will oppose Trinidad and Tobago at 3 p.m.

Vin Blaine, coach of the junior Reggae Girlz, who are one of the favourites to progress to the next phase of the competition, said his team is oozing confidence.

"We don't know anything about them (The Bahamas), but what we know is that they can't beat us," said Blaine.

"I am very confident of a victory and I know that we will qualify for the CONCACAF round of the competition," he said.

Blaine added that his team's preparations have been going great and everyone is raring to go.

"We know exactly what the region has to offer, and so I don't think that The Bahamas are on the same level as us now," Blaine said.

"I don't see anybody challenging Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago right now, because these are the top teams in the region," he added.

Shantell Thompson, who netted five goals in the final-round qualifiers, will lead Jamaica's hunt for goals along with overseas-based players Jorja Hughes and Jalen Simms. They are expected to receive good support from captain Chris-Ann Chambers and Kahdija Shaw.

The Bahamas' coach Daria Adderley is also very optimistic ahead of today's encounter against Jamaica.

"We are confident because the girls have been training for the last six months very intensely and also the fact that we came out top of our group in the first round," said Adderley.

"I think we should do quite well against the Jamaicans because our entire team is very strong," she said.

Adderley added: "It is going to be a tough game for us and so we are not going to underestimate the Jamaicans because they are playing at home and they have been playing well coming into this round of the competition."

Dena Ingram, who scored seven goals in the first round, along with Kennadi Green, Luren Heaven, Clayre Saunders and Shelby Green, will lead the Bahamians' victory charge.

In the curtain-raiser, Trinidad and Tobago's coach, Stephan Defour, said his team is looking to making a winning start.

"We are ready for this challenge and my team is ready for this competition," said Defour.

"I think the girls are highly motivated right now, but we are not going to take any team for granted," he said.

Defour added: "This first game is vital and so we are hoping to start off on a winning note."

Midfielder Khadidra Debesette, who scored 13 goals for the Trinidadians in the first round, along with Anike Walker (11) and Zoe Swift (nine) will lead their efforts for a win.

In the meantime, Guyana's assistant coach, Chevon Monchoir, expects a good performance from her team.

"We a very young and inexperienced team, but we know that they have the ability to do well against the Trinidadians," said Monchoir.

"However, we have three very good experienced players who recently played in the CFU Under-20 qualifiers and they are confident and so we are going there looking for a win," Monchoir added.

Three of the four competing teams will advance to the CONCACAF final round - to be contested by eight nations - which will be held in Guatemala next May.

Canada, the United States, Mexico, Panama and hosts Guatemala are already assured of spots in the CONCACAF Finals.

The FIFA Women's Under-17 World Cup Finals tournament will be played in Azerbijan in November next year.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Barbados?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

nuh Bahamas dem a play? He is technically right. No way Barbados can beat we, after we nah play them.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maybe we are so good we can play both Barbados and the Bahamas at the same time...sub editor's mistake..
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Don't anyone proof read these articles before they are published?
          "We're not getting our butts kicked." Lauryn Williams on the U.S.-Jamaica rivalry.

Comment

Working...
          X