RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix...best thing to happen to Jamaican Youth Football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix...best thing to happen to Jamaican Youth Football?

J'can teen 'baller signs with French giant Lille

Howard Walker
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ANOTHER young Jamaican from Phoenix Academy, Romario McKnight, has signed a three-year contract with top French side Lille after impressing in a two-week trial.

McKnight, 16, a former Calabar High School midfielder, is a part of Austrian outfit Anif and is the second player from the Craig Butler-led Phoenix Academy to sign with a top European club.

MCKNIGHT... it’s a dream come true for me

About two weeks ago, 16-year-old Kevaughn, Atkinson also from Calabar, signed for German giant Bayern Munich in a five-year deal.

The details of the contract are still being worked on, said Butler, and the youngster should be joining the French outfit in January.

When contacted via Skype, McKnight was very elated.
    "I played a couple of games and I think they liked my stamina and my skill level," McKnight told the Observer.

"It's a dream come true for me and I am just working to set the stage for other Jamaicans. They just have to stay focused and remember that you have to make a lot of sacrifices," was his advice for other young aspiring Jamaican footballers eyeing the professional ranks.

As for the language, McKnight has no problem, saying "I speak French fairly well" as he spent time in the French-speaking side of Canada.

Lille are the current French champions and this season signed former Chelsea and Liverpool player, Joe Cole.

Lille are currently third in the standings on 25 points behind leaders Paris St Germain and Montpellier on 30 each.

They are playing alongside Italian giant Inter Milan and CSK Moscow in the lucrative UEFA Champions League.

Meanwhile, Butler said his motivation to help young footballers be the best they can be comes out of the the lack of opportunities that stifled the promising career of one of his favourite schoolboy footballers and Jamaica College teammate, Richard 'Pot Cover' McDonald.

"That has being an inspiration for me... he didn't get the chance (and) to me he could have been the answer to Jamaica's goalscoring problems in the '80s. He was strong, skilful, intelligent and just didn't get the opportunity," said Butler.

"Every time I see a young kid, I remember 'Cover' and just want to give them the opportunity," said Butler.

Last edited by Karl; November 24, 2011, 10:56 AM.

Excellent news. Lets hope he continues to improve and eventually end up in the first team.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

concur ... lazie. there is boundless talent in jamaica ... mi drive around and see it BUT the lack of proper infrastructure and stable coaching between age 11-15 is a hindrance.

zavon hines, john barnes, raheim sterling .... there are many many more ... a few years ago there was a kid named kibaki hollowway HUGE potential but lacked opportunity ... the yute benbow also has great potential but he needs to leave now ... alvas powell's potential is staggering but again ... such players need to be in a football dedicated environment with consistent exposure to good coaching and facilities.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

btw craig have a likkle yute deh name "chippy" ... he is with him in austria ... man score suppen like 54 goals fi di u15 side in austria.

as a 12 y.o. chippy was playing u15 and u17 league in KSAFA and was top marksman in each ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Trust mi on dis....tek offf! Anyone that says we dont have an abundance of talent is ignorant of of culture.

Im couldda born deh !
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Kibaki decided to leave Constant Spring FC to become a dancehall artiste.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQi8nh8B2iA

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Trust mi on dis....tek offf! Anyone that says we dont have an abundance of talent is ignorant of of culture.

Im couldda born deh !
              HAHAHA ....lets not derail the thread X .... lets just hope the best for the youngster.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Whatever happened to Ball Jesaz?

Comment

Many of the talented kids are not properly guided. Alvas Powell should not be still playing at the Manning Cup level and to make it worse I hear Paul Bogle has him playing as a forward. Not sure how much that will help in his development.

Also the fact that the locals clubs are locking the kids into contracts, its a deterrent to big clubs abroad who would have given some of these kids a look once they don't have to pay any big money.

Comment

Originally posted by Shola View Post
                    J'can teen 'baller signs with French giant Lille

Howard Walker
                    Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ANOTHER young Jamaican from Phoenix Academy, Romario McKnight, has signed a three-year contract with top French side Lille after impressing in a two-week trial.
                    McKnight, 16, a former Calabar High School midfielder, is a part of Austrian outfit Anif and is the second player from the Craig Butler-led Phoenix Academy to sign with a top European club.

MCKNIGHT... it’s a dream come true for me

1/1

About two weeks ago, 16-year-old Kevaughn, Atkinson also from Calabar, signed for German giant Bayern Munich in a five-year deal.
                    The details of the contract are still being worked on, said Butler, and the youngster should be joining the French outfit in January.
                    When contacted via Skype, McKnight was very elated.
                    "I played a couple of games and I think they liked my stamina and my skill level," McKnight told the Observer.
                    "It's a dream come true for me and I am just working to set the stage for other Jamaicans. They just have to stay focused and remember that you have to make a lot of sacrifices," was his advice for other young aspiring Jamaican footballers eyeing the professional ranks.
                    As for the language, McKnight has no problem, saying "I speak French fairly well" as he spent time in the French-speaking side of Canada.
                    Lille are the current French champions and this season signed former Chelsea and Liverpool player, Joe Cole.
                    Lille are currently third in the standings on 25 points behind leaders Paris St Germain and Montpellier on 30 each.
                    They are playing alongside Italian giant Inter Milan and CSK Moscow in the lucrative UEFA Champions League.
                    Meanwhile, Butler said his motivation to help young footballers be the best they can be comes out of the the lack of opportunities that stifled the promising career of one of his favourite schoolboy footballers and Jamaica College teammate, Richard 'Pot Cover' McDonald.
                    "That has being an inspiration for me... he didn't get the chance (and) to me he could have been the answer to Jamaica's goalscoring problems in the '80s. He was strong, skilful, intelligent and just didn't get the opportunity," said Butler.
                    "Every time I see a young kid, I remember 'Cover' and just want to give them the opportunity," said Butler.
                    Noice!

Pot Cova = Bronx League
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Well ah di 189 Old Hope Rd Leadership effek.... wi cyaan elp it..ah DNA tings

Nuh figget di Andre Virtue clinic dem whey ah gwaan pon ah regula

Wi nuh wait pon Politricks...Ah suh wi dweet one away..
                      Last edited by Don1; November 22, 2011, 11:20 PM.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                      X