Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Galaxy signs $55 million TV deal

Galaxy signs $55 million TV deal

On the eve of MLS Cup, the Los Angeles Galaxy announced that it had reached a 10-year regional television deal with Time Warner to air its games on its new regional sports network for $55 million -- a massive amount of money for a team reported to have never drawn more than 16,000 homes a game on its current regional carrier.

The rights fee is a 10-fold jump from the amount the Galaxy received from Fox Sports West. The Los Angeles Times reported that ratings for Galaxy matches on FSW were as low as 0.11.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Congrats to them. Not sure how wise a move it is for Time Warner, but maybe they figure the Galaxy will have a few more big acquisitions up there sleeve in the coming years.

Comment

20 years ago who would have thought a soccer team in the USA would be talking about TV rights much less signing one. Time Warner looking ahead.

Comment

i remember up to a few months ago people on here was talking bout how soccer will never become a major sport in the US.

It is now a major sport, whether them like it or not. The MLS has grown leaps and bound. You can watch a few games without turning off the TV and stadiums are full. ESPN have to program soccer in their news.

not to mention the groundswell at the youth level.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It's pretty good for a regional television contract for the Galaxy. A 10 year deal and telecasts will be in English and Spanish.
          http://www.socceramerica.com/article...n-tv-deal.html

Momentum is our friend, finally.
          The Ozone Depletion
          Comfortable Baby Bean Bag

Comment

Time Warner will air the Galaxy on its new channels in both English and Spanish. The Galaxy deal is dwarfed by the $3 billion the NBA's Lakers will receive from Time Warner over 20 years.
            major sport?!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yep. It is has bigger attendance than basketball. Bigger than Hockey and have more tv space than track and field. The fan base has grown and continue to.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                i remember up to a few months ago people on here was talking bout how soccer will never become a major sport in the US.

It is now a major sport, whether them like it or not. The MLS has grown leaps and bound. You can watch a few games without turning off the TV and stadiums are full. ESPN have to program soccer in their news.

not to mention the groundswell at the youth level.
                Agree. Especially with this news. Good news for me,anyway.

FOX wins World Cup TV rights

FOX has secured the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 World Cup, FIFA announced Friday.

FOX Sports won the US English-language rights for 2018 (Russia) and 2022 (Qatar), beating out bids from ESPN and NBC submitted this week in Switzerland, FIFA announced. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/w...reports-102111

Comment

disagree, but not a big deal. it surely is growing, tho. when i drive around NYC and see the fields that once accommodated other sports being used for scrimmage - I like!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you just nuh agree with the "major sports" defination?

If you think NY big go to Jersey, or come a Atlanta see. soccer field and competition second to non, around the Atlanta area.

Comment

Working...
                    X