On Scaly's request - Bora's bio and record as coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Scaly's request - Bora's bio and record as coach

Velibor "Bora" Milutinovic (Serbian Cyrillic: ??????? "????" ???????????) (born September 7, 1944 in Bajina Bašta, Serbia, Yugoslavia) is a Serbian football (soccer) coach, and the only person to have coached five different teams at the World Cup: Mexico (1986), Costa Rica (1990), the United States (1994), Nigeria (1998), and China (2002). He is also the first coach to take four different teams beyond the first round (all the above except China).

During the Summer of 2003 he was in serious negotiations to finally take over the national team reigns at his native Serbia-Montenegro. Despite heavy, month-long persuasion from Serbian football officials, Milutinovic turned down the offer. Soon afterwards he signed on to coach the Honduras national team, but resigned on June 30, 2004 during World Cup qualifying despite getting the team into the first round of CONCACAF qualifiers. He cited "the prevailing bad atmosphere, created by comments made by the country's managers, officials and press" as the reason for his leaving.

Milutinovic's coaching career at club level hasn't been nearly as illustrious. He coached the MetroStars of Major League Soccer to the worst record in league history in 1999. He also had a brief coaching stint in Qatar league, as well as nine matches with Udinese Calcio of Italian Serie B in 1987.

Milutinovic became a Mexican citizen and is married to a Mexican national.

On November 16, 2006, he was announced as head coach of Jamaica.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: On Scaly's request - Bora's bio and record as coach

Born:7- 9-1944
    Matches as Coach Total: 276(W110-D80-L86 - GF342-GA310 - %54.35)
    Matches as Coach for Mexico: 104(W 52-D32-L20 - GF172-GA101 - %65.38)
    Matches as Coach for Costa Rica: 9(W 3-D 0-L 6 - GF 7-GA 13 - %33.33)
    Matches as Coach for USA: 96(W 30-D31-L35 - GF116-GA110 - %47.40)
    Matches as Coach for Nigeria: 11(W 3-D 2-L 6 - GF 10-GA 22 - %36.36)
    Matches as Coach for China: 46(W 20-D11-L15 - GF 75-GA 50 - %55.43)
    Matches as Coach for Honduras: 10(W 2-D 4-L 4 - GF 12-GA 14 - %40.00)
    Age First Match: 38 yr 189 d
    Age Last Match: 59 yr 285 d
    National Team Career: 21 yr 96 d
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thanks Karl

Bora does have a good international record and is one of only a handfull of coachs to have over 100 internationals under his belt.

Other than China I think Jamaica will be his biggest challenge since we don't have a true professional set up like all the other countries.

One thing for sure he understands International football better than anyone else.

Comment

Welcome, boss!

...and, Yup!

...and, apparently he is the only coach we have ever had that (teaches) encourages his players to think! :w00t: :hehe:

What a novel idea? Imagine treating learning the game as 'another class-room' subject? (Clap)

WoW! ...WoW again! (Clap)(Clap)(Clap)

Seeking intelligent players?!WoW! WoW! WoW! Damn! - ...and, another tripple damn - Damn!Damn!Damn! (Clap)(Clap)(Clap)

Comment

Still not sold on Bora being the best possible candidate for the boyz. I know he's had a good international coaching career but he hasn't been successful of late and to make matters worse, he's failed in his last coaching stint in Honduras.

There league is much better than the NPL and he did nothing with their NT. I hope I'm wrong but maybe the JFF rushed out to get this guy too quickly. I'm way too skeptical of him. He's riding off of his previous success, and football is a funny game. What worked in 1990 and 1994 will not work in 2008/2009. The game has changed alot since.

Comment

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl5_lblFullMessage>
            Still not sold on Bora being the best possible candidate for the Boyz. I know he's had a good international coaching career but he hasn't been successful of late and to make matters worse, he's failed in his last coaching stint in Honduras.
            </SPAN>

<SPAN>I thought I read on the FIFA site that Bora left Honduras out of frustration because of too much involvement of the powers in his running of the Honduran program etc. I also gathered that he was not with them very long to make anything happen.</SPAN>

<SPAN>I did not believe Bora would be my first choice as coach either. But he has grown on me as a damn good selection now that it is wearing on. This will be one of the few things we will remember the Boxhill admin for after November. It is a pity he was not in place instead of Lazza on his second stint.</SPAN>
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
            X