Martins sorry for Nigeria no-show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martins sorry for Nigeria no-show

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Martins sorry for Nigeria no-show </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Obafemi Martins has apologised for missing Nigeria's game with Ghana</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has apologised for missing Nigeria's 4-1 defeat by Ghana on 6 February.

Martins was released to play by the Magpies but returned to Nigeria to look after his sick mother instead.

"I apologise to the Nigeria FA and the players because it was a very important game," he told BBC Sport. "But I also believe my mum was more important."

The Nigeria FA have threatened to punish Martins, possibly by suspending him from playing for the Super Eagles.

But Martins does not think that any further action will be taken against him.

He also says that he will be available to play for Nigeria in the future.

"When I am called upon I will play for them, because you have to respect the national team," he said.

"I do respect the Super Eagles a lot, so anytime they call I will come and play."
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X