Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luis Suarez sports controversy

One word with many meanings translates into sports controversy

(CNN) -- A racially-charged word with many meanings may be at the root of a dispute between two sports rivals that reaches far beyond the soccer field, analysts say.
    Manchester United's Patrice Evra, who is black, says the word Uruguayan Luis Suarez shouted repeatedly during a match last month was a racial slur. Evra demanded that Suarez be held accountable for the controversial exchange, which erupted as authorities investigate other accusations of racism in soccer. Suarez, a striker for Liverpool, hasn't specified what he said, but he argues that it wasn't offensive.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/17/sp...sy/?hpt=isp_t5
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I am (always) mildly amused --when I see the "respect" sticker on the shirts of teams in the Champions League.

Also, the "say no to racism" ticker surrounding the field...is a waste of electric-city.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Unfortunately, the lack of consequences for those who do not "respect" the initiative make a mockery of it... the FAs allow (fans especially) to get away with unacceptable behaviour... real joke bizniz; people will self-regulate to an extent, but after that it's anarchy!!
      Peter R

Comment

"There are cameras. You can see him say a certain word to me at least 10 times. There is no place for that in 2011," he said.
        if it is a term of endearment, den, a coulda wha suh?!?! a suh him check fi Evra!?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

if there was an ongoing exchange over the ninety minutes that is not a surprising number of times... better you call the man a term that YOU THINK is inoffensive consistently than something else... IF you realize that what YOU THINK is inoffensive is upsetting the man, why stop?

Yu know how many Trinis come up to me an waan use bc an rc in my presence cah dem tink dat cool... mi nuh use dem kin'a langwidge...( well not regularly unless, well, a man call me negrito ) .

I remember I said to a Trini once "yu mad as r a s s" ; trini thought I said "yu muddas a s s" .. it almost came to blows...
          Peter R

Comment

yuh mekking excuse fi Suarez? mek him move and gwey!

trinis can get upset bout dat? and dem always a talk bout people modda?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X