• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'can-born female ref makes FIFA list

J'can-born female ref makes FIFA list

BY BEV MELBOURNE Observer writer
    Thursday, November 10, 2011

JAMAICAN-BORN Carline Reid-Willis created history in the Cayman Islands as the first female referee to represent the islands on the FIFA list in January 2012.

This came after her successes during the RAP Course conducted recently by FIFA Instructors Peter Prendergast and Ramesh Ramdhan in George Town, Grand Cayman.

REID-WILLIS... FIFA is not for the men only; there are numerous opportunities for women

According to president of the Cayman Islands Football Association, Jeffrey Webb, "Women were always involved in refereeing in the Cayman Islands."
    "We have had some excellent female referees in the past. They have set the trend, but Reid-Willis has taken it to the highest level due to her commitment to training hard and her passion for the game.

"She is definitely a trendsetter at this level and has opened the door for the advancement of female referees in the Cayman Islands," said Webb.
    Reid-Willis, a teacher by profession, was born in St Elizabeth and attended Black River High where she met her mentor, former FIFA referee Victor Stewart who was head of the PE department.

Stewart is retired and is now a FIFA referee assessor.

"Victor Stewart drew my attention as one of the best FIFA referees to have graced the football fields of Jamaica as well as internationally.

"He was a mentor for me during my school years at the Black River High School where he was head of the PE department," Reid-Willis explained.
    "I played football as a goalkeeper while attending GC Foster College... where I did a certificate in coaching, a teacher's diploma and a bachelor's degree in Physical Education.

"I'm an enthusiastic sports person who played hockey and netball for fun, but took football very seriously and eventually donned the national colours, representing Jamaica on the Under-23 national team in goal," she informed.

Reid-Willis was out of the game for a while due to the birth of her son. She migrated to the Cayman Islands in 2008 on a contract to teach at the John Gray High School.

It was there that she met Nolan Foster, a FIFA referee and head fitness instructor of the Referees Group in the Cayman Islands.

Foster knew Reid-Willis' football history and encouraged her to attend a course advertised by the Cayman Islands FA/Cayman Islands Referee Association who were seeking new male and female referees and assistant referees.

He convinced her to attend the course and she was successful in both the theoretical and practical aspects.

However, according to Reid-Willis, the greatest challenges were yet to come as she participated in two RAP Courses staged by FIFA Referee Instructors Prendergast and Ramdan.

As a result of motivation from the members of the referees group and in particular, Foster, she was successful in both courses and was placed on the FIFA list for 2012.

"Foster was a tough fitness instructor who taught me never to say 'I can't'. He was a dedicated FIFA Referee and friend who constantly emphasised... the importance of training hard, highlighting the fact that fitness was the main criteria for getting on the FIFA list...," Reid said.

According to Reid Willis, reaching this level was not easy. She is encouraging other women who have an interest in refereeing to train hard and receive their reward at the highest level.

"FIFA is not for the men only, there are numerous refereeing opportunities available internationally for women. Come out, do the referee courses and discipline yourselves to train hard, that is all it takes," she implored.
    Meanwhile Stewart, when contacted by telephone, said he was not the least bit surprised when he heard of Reid-Willis's success, pointing out that with her ability, he was expecting her to be at that level before.

"I am not surprised that Carline made it on the FIFA list. She has always had the ability and motivation to work towards the goal of becoming a FIFA Referee from an early age. It was just a matter of time before it happened...," said Stewart.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1dNhTG385
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

30 refs for FIFA course

30 refs for FIFA course

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thirty Jamaican referees are involved in a FIFA Member Association Refereeing Course being held at the offices of the Jamaica Football Federation from yesterday through to Thursday.

The course, which will be held under the auspices of the FIFA Refereeing Assistance Programme, will be under the direction of referee development officer Ramesh Ramdhan, Merere Gonzales, FIFA fitness instructor, as well as FIFA instructor Peter Prendergast.

FIFA referee development officer Ramesh Ramdhan (right), engages recent FIFA appointed Jamaican referees (from left) Antonette Williams, Cardella Samuels and Stacy-Ann Greyson during yesterday’s opening session of the FIFA Member Association Refereeing Course held at the offices of the Jamaica Football Federation. (Photo: Collin Reid)

The course will include FIFA referees; Assistant FIFA referees and elite referees. Three female FIFA and FIFA Assistant referees are amongst the participants. Seven Jamaican officials in Dave Meikle; Victor Stewart; Clive Wright; Rohan Thobourne; Lloyd Harrison; Anthony Garwood and Mark Sullivan will also be instructors for the course.

The course will be broken down as follows: Referees Course — November 11-15; Referee Assessors Course — November 16 and 17.
    As part of the course a fitness test will be held today at the GC Foster College at 6:30 am.

The course began with an Opening Ceremony yesterday at 9:30 am and forms part of the JFF's determination to continue to strengthen the knowledge base of the sport with continuing training opportunities for referees, coaches and administrators.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1dXPjb1Es
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X