• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young J'can signs with Bayern Munich

Young J'can signs with Bayern Munich

BY HOWARD WALKER Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, November 06, 2011

YOUNG Jamaican footballer Kevaughn Atkinson has sign a five-year contract with top European club Bayern Munich for an undisclosed fee and will join the German giants in January.

Atkinson, 16, a former Calabar High student from the Craig Butler-led Phoenix Football Academy in Jamaica, was signed from Austrian Bundesliga 2 outfit USK Anif.

Kevaughn Atkinson (background) with his Phoenix Academy Jamaican teammates Kyle Butler (centre) and Leon Bailey in Austria.

Atkinson, who is playing senior football for Anif and has scored 13 goals from nine games, was elated when he spoke to the Sunday Observer via Skype on the Internet from Austria.

"I feel very good. It's a dream come true for me. I have been preparing for this for a while. It feels very good to sign for a professional team and every Jamaican must just be focused if they want to be a professional footballer," said Atkinson.

The young footballer, while being wooed by Germany's most successful club, was taken to the Allianz Arena in Munich, with a capacity of 69,000.
    The stadium will be the venue for the 2012 UEFA Champions League final.

"It was pretty cool. It's a big stadium with some special lights," said Atkinson, referring to Bayern stadium which is the first of its kind with full changing lighting on the outside which transforms the venue to look like a glass full of lights.

In September when the Sunday Observer broke the story about Butler and his four youngsters in Austria, he said then that his pioneering move into Austria -- next door footballing powerhouse Germany -- was to provide a bridge and window of opportunity for Jamaicans players.

That dream is now a reality for Butler and the Phoenix Academy.

"They (Bayern Munich) send persons to come look at him and they said they wanted to gobble him up early before anybody else wanted him. We made the decision because Bayern Munich is one of the top five clubs in the world," said Butler.

"The boys are really performing good here because they now that the boys back home are depending on their performances to get in," Butler added.
    Atkinson, or 'Sharky', as he his called by his peers, was highlighted in an Austrian newspaper for his exploits.

"This is phenomenal. A big newspaper did an article on him headlined 'Sharky, the Boy with the killer instincts'. He is just a goalscoring machine," said Butler.

And while Atkinson has got his dream move, the other Phoenix Academy boys are doing very well.

Another former Calabar student, Romario McKnight, 16, will be leaving Austria for France next week for a trial stint with top club Lille and said he is "all set for next week' and confident of performing well.

Meanwhile, Leon Bailey, 14, who in 2010 as a 12-year-old remarkably won MVPs in three different age categories in the KSAFA Under-13, Under-15 and Under-17 leagues, is creating waves in the Austrian Under-15 league.

Bailey, a former Kingston College student, has rattled in an amazing 54 goals in just eight matches. He was set to play another match yesterday and promised to score at least five goals.

The youngster, looking relaxed via Skype, said his hard work is paying off, although he misses home.

"... If you want to be a professional footballer you have to do what you have to do, sacrifice," noted Bailey.

Kyle, 13, Butler's son, is equally impressive despite not scoring so many goals. He is the Under-15 team captain and is fourth in the league in scoring and top in assists.

Most of Bailey's goals are a result of his vision. "It's great I am enjoying the football up here," said the former St George's College student.

Kyle, who is a big Manchester United fan and idolises the Barcelona pair of Cesc Fabregas and Xavi Hernandez, said he will now be a fan of Bayern Munich since his friend Atkinson is joining them.

Butler, who was banned by KSAFA for taking them to court over an affiliation dispute in 2007, cannot participate in any organised football activity in Jamaica until the ban is lifted.

But the former Jamaica College Manning Cupper will be arranging for his Phoenix Under-19 team to tour Austria between January 3-20 where they will play five matches in an effort to expose more youth.

"We will sit back and watch them fight over them," said Butler, in anticipation that several clubs will be interested in signing these players.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1cwrkdtZL
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Wah yuh seh now, Lazie? Talent abounds?

If some had questions before on Bulter's ability to develop talent, he has put that to rest!!!!

The talent abounds...if only our age-group coaches could get the best out of that talent

Have been watching (taking 4th and 5th looks...etc...) at our last set of
    U-17 players playing their some of their qualifying matches and some of those in Mexico...I am amazed at the talent we put on the field...and the lousy TEAMs created by our coaches (the Brazilians included)
    ...absolutely abject failure to make this excellent group of players into TEAM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So why them run Craig outta town then karl?

Comment

Captain,...I don't know what happened during the process or how you came to be sanctioned...what your involvement was or wasn't. What I do know is that sometimes things don't go the way you intend and people do make errors in their decisions. I hope that you will rise above this and that JAmaica's football does not suffer but like the Phoenix rise again stronger than before.I was there when you first started as a businessman and I supported the program and the vision when I was the GM for toshiba and sponsored peter and the JFF on the road to FRANCE.I have stood still for JAMaican football when I was faced with my sanctions for what I believed was the right stand at the time for my academy and club...It doesn't mean it was wise to buck the system. but it was morally what I believed in.I hope that the JAmaican Public will remember first the good that you have done for Jamaican football in taking it this far and will support you to learn from whatever mistake you made and to improve but still do your job.I would love to see the incorporation and reliance on the wider diaspora Captain in the rest of the world that is JAmaican and wise.I would like to help Jamaican football. Humility is a hell of a thing.Please accept my personal apologies for my mistakes too in BUCKING the powers that be and lets all try to make and take our places in the world of Football.Good Luck and rest assured if it is one person that acknowledges the work you have put in for Jamaican football it is CRAIG BUTLER..remember look at the people that can help...im just one man there are many out there. Tap into them..one love.

Comment

There are other issues the parties have had problems resolving.
          ...but Craig's moving seems to be working well for him and Jamaica's football.

His exposure of what is available shall surely draw others to our young talent. Would not be surprized to see a gradual increase in young talent being gobbled up by external professional outfits...???? eventually a flood of our talent being developed outside of the island??? ...eventually increased earnings for all...rapid transition to top quality local TEAMs...national TEAMs? ...yup! Craig being forced to ply his trade outside of the island may bring unintended goodies for 'de football'!
          Last edited by Karl; November 6, 2011, 02:47 PM.

Comment

NOICE!! Just proves 1 thing:

There is zero TALENT deficit with most of the rest of the world.... but there is an amazing ORGANIZATIONAL deficit.... and not the fault of schools and their football as the misguided claim.... that's not where the successful countries nurture football talent....it's in professional academies

Who fail di yutes? ...Di yutes? No.. Adult Administrators of the game

Craig is to be congratulated on this success...hope he builds on it full hundred

Whey Willi deh? Switzerland nuh near Germany tuh?? Loaf yuh ah loaf ova deh
            Last edited by Don1; November 6, 2011, 02:53 PM.
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

To the detriment of local football...so it is not football's best interest they have in mind...but their own self interest...

Comment

Talent abounds?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You do not think the talent was there in the boys? ...and indeed there is also Craig's talent at nuturing and developing same!!!

Comment

...a part of the problem we have in JA is inflated egos...those who know not and know not, they know not...parading as 'know it alls'.

Just look at the talent pool of players in the DPL and the lousy so-called teams being put on the fields?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      ...a part of the problem we have in JA is inflated egos...those who know not and know not, they know not...parading as 'know it alls'.

Just look at the talent pool of players in the DPL and the lousy so-called teams being put on the fields?
                      Fervet Opus In Campis... Work is Burning in The Fields

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                        Fervet Opus In Campis... Work is Burning in The Fields
                        Don1 - did you go to JC? When?
                        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Don might be your contemporary... I am surprised you didn't know he went to JC...
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                            Don1 - did you go to JC? When?
                            Martin "Woody" Woodstock, Luke "Shenk" Whitney, Wayne "Voodoo" Lawson...the midfield general era

Mi did tink it was general knowledge dat mi ah di JC PR Officer ah di Rum Bar... mek ah guy tek step wid wi an yuh si...bayh clappas

Comment

Brownus Man Timus !!

Comment

Working...
                              X