Mexico shows no class in defeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico shows no class in defeat

<DIV>Save of course from that nasty attempt to injure a US player. But certainly these comments suggest that the USA wa lucky in beating Mexico. (Save me from that "goals win matches" stuff, because football can be very unfair. Take Arsenal vs Wigan, for example.)</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>How are the following examples of classless behaviour? Just because they think they played better but the USA was lucky, is that so classless?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV><H3 class=entry-header>Mexico shows no class in defeat</H3><DIV class=entry-content><DIV class=entry-body>

Leave it to Mexico's players to refuse to give the U.S. national team any credit in tonight's 2-0 victory. Here are just some of the quotes from the post-game:

Rafael Marquez:

"They were a little opportunistic and stayed in their own end for the majority of the match, but they did beat us. Considering the tactics that they utilized, I think that is the credit I would give them considering the fact that on the field, they were not superior to us."

Oswaldo Sanchez:

"We can beat the U.S. playing exactly like we did today. If we play like we did today, we will win a number of games. Tonight we had a number of opportunities that we couldn’t convert and their goalkeeper was lucky on a number of occasions in which the ball landed right into his hands. We couldn’t score and had a couple of defensive lapses that killed us. But that’s soccer; if you don’t score, you don’t win."

Jared Borgetti:

"There are always elements on which to improve. When it comes to having chances on goal, the key is to convert them and today unfortunately we couldn’t convert even one. In the second half, especially, we had a lot but unfortunately tonight the ball did not want to go in. After their goal we pushed forward looking for the equalizer but today we just couldn’t score. It’s not an excuse for why we lost but it’s what happened."

Marquez's comments were the most bitter. Between the comments, the Mexican players' refusal to exchange jerseys with American players and Oswaldo Sanchez's attempt at breaking Eddie Johnson's ankle following Landon Donovan's goal, the Mexican team showed very little class. It was pretty disappointing.</DIV></DIV></DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: Mexico shows no class in defeat

If I understand your preface to the piece you posted, then you too better 'shut-up and sit-down!!'

The USA/Mexico win/loss record speaks for itself.(Clap)

Comment

Working...
    X