• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell could rebound after FIFA ban

Burrell could rebound after FIFA ban

From the Sports Desk
    With Sean Williams
    Sunday, October 23, 2011

THE suspension of Captain Horace Burrell by FIFA has presented much to mull over.

Not only has it added another snippet to the theatrics that have characterised regional football arising from the CFU bribery scandal, but critically, it has the potential to compromise the integrity of Jamaica's football capital.

Responding to questions fielded by a packed room of international journalists on Friday following the FIFA Executive Committee meeting in Zurich, FIFA boss Joseph 'Sepp' Blatter was emphatic that they will not be releasing details of the reasons for the sanctions handed down on CFU officials, who attended the meetings of May 10 and 11 this year.

Further, he said all persons suspended should return with full rights after serving their suspensions.

With the "no disclosure" policy of FIFA, naturally the speculations, rumour mongering and propaganda by the general public and indeed the power-seeking opportunists and detractors will indeed feed insidious agendas.
    In adversity, there is opportunity. And as sure as the sun will shine, those desperate to see the back of Jamaica's chief servant of football will play and not always by the rules.

But they must tread carefully because Burrell stands more than a fair chance of emerging stronger from his three-month ban, which could entrench his place as head of the local game and position him as a hero of sorts to Caribbean football.

And here is why. Burrell, it seems, was punished for two main reasons. Firstly, for not reporting, as is required by FIFA, the goings-on at that bribery-tainted meeting in Trinidad and secondly, for his initial refusal to co-operate with investigations into cash gifts handed out at the meeting.

Burrell has, from day one, maintained that local football officials did not benefit from this monetary gift. He could be telling the truth and ought to be given the benefit of that doubt, because if there was evidence to the contrary, his career would be in serious jeaopardy.

Truth is, Burrell did not honour FIFA Code of Ethics rules by failing to report what he might have witnessed or have knowledge of at that disastrous May meeting. And like a man, he took his 'licks' as a consequence.

He took his blows, not only for his beloved Jamaica, but also for his Caribbean colleagues. He did not squeal and sought at great self-sacrifice to protect his football brothers, it seems to me.

But that's the sub-culture of many Caribbean peoples, and it goes without saying the extreme to which Jamaicans in particular frown upon those perceived to be informers and the practice of "singing".

But more than that, Burrell exercised good sense, judgement and leadership as he could have easily spilled the beans in a bid to preserve his insular ambitions and find favour with the high echelon of FIFA as a co-operating whistle-blower.

Instead, true to his military training, he did not jump ship, but remained in the trenches with his troops in the heat of battle as FIFA wielded its disciplinary axe, claiming the scalps of other top officers in a wretched affair that shook the foundation of the ruling body.

With his ambition of becoming CFU president, which now appears unlikely with his three-month removal from all football activities unless a way can be found to suspend the November polls, a candidate deemed to have "rat out" his constituents would have committed political suicide.

But I don't believe Burrell had a solitary reason for acting the way he did, or did he aim to score political points, but moreso out of a sense of brotherhood and sadly an innate instinct of 'see and blind and hear and deaf' -- qualities which reside in so many of us.

As far as the gospel of FIFA goes, Burrell made an error in judgement, but does that mean he should be crucified? He who is without sin, cast the first stone.

I see no reason, even in the face of the sternest of challenges to his JFF position, why Burrell shouldn't be able to complete his tenure as president unless we are to believe he no longer has the support of the board of directors.

Or are we to think that Burrell no longer has a meaningful contribution to make to Jamaican and the regional football?
    I think not on the above.

Let's not forget Burrell was the architect of Jamaica's four appearances at varying levels of FIFA World Cup -- with the last occurring this summer at the men's Under-17 championship in Mexico.

Needless to mention the heady period when the senior Reggae Boyz qualified for France 1998, Under-17s to New Zealand a year later and the Under-20s to the Argentina World Cup in 2001.

To borrow a cricketing cliché, I am batting for Burrell to rise again because there could well be a higher calling in this great sport.

I am told that the officers of the JFF will this week meet, to be followed by a board of directors' session in November, where among other things, the path forward is expected to be discussed.

I would like to remind the members when they meet that good sense should be central to their deliberations. As I see it, this is not the time for rash or high-handed decision. Not a time to pursue selfish agendas, but to take the interest of the nation's football at heart, as the real stakeholders -- the people of Jamaica -- will hold them accountable.

Though the programme is not where it ought to be, a lot has been invested and gained. Still, the work continues.

Every member of the board can take pride in the successes that have been achieved. For example, the very successful coaching school; the referees, administration and marketing upgrade thrust; the progress in establishing the technical centre; the efficient hosting of the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup Championship in Montego Bay; the Reggae Boyz enduring domination of the region reflected in the repeat at the Digicel Caribbean Cup and the FIFA ranking; and the progressive and eye-catching football at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which served notice of where the team ought to be on a consistent basis.

Little or nothing should be allowed, at this very delicate juncture, to disrupt or derail the preparation of the Boyz as they enter the semi-finals of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers set to kick off in eight months' time.
    The business of our football programme, I say, should be placed well above petty jealousies, selfish ambitions and vendettas.

Finally, we ought to be extremely careful that we don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1bcR0s4oS
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good article. Wouldn't be surprised though if the idiots on the board cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Comment

Football fraternity indicates support for sanctioned boss

Howard Walker
      Monday, October 24, 2011

SUSPENDED Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss Captain Horace Burrell has the full backing of the local football family, said acting president Dale Spencer.

With rumours swirling that the suspended Burrell's future would have been decided at a JFF’s management committee meeting yesterday, Spencer was quick to point out that was not an agenda item.

He said further that as far as he is aware, Burrell has the full backing of the football constituency and sees no reason why he should not be able to return to resume his duties as the JFF president.

“It is not an issue for us, but I did point out that the morality of it, is left to the members of the parish associations and there is no discontent among the membership. The parish associations, the presidents are all very supportive of Captain Burrell and I expect to see him back when the FIFA ban expires,” said Spencer.

The former Manchester Football Association boss said yesterday’s meeting was aimed at dealing with the business end of the JFF.

“The management committee went there strictly to deal with the business of management,” said Spencer, the first vice-president of the JFF, who assumed control after Burrell was suspended for three months by FIFA in relation to the CFU bribery scandal.

“The agenda was to report on current JFF activities, report on JFF finances, so that (to discuss the future of Burrell) was never an agenda item for us,” he added.

“The management committee meeting today (yesterday) did not bring up anything else and I do not expect anything else. The best way we can serve football is to behave in a legal, orderly way and that was part of my charge as chairman of the meeting,” said Spencer.

The acting JFF boss further sought to dispel suggestions that the Management Committee and the Board of Directors had plans to move against the sanctioned president.

“But I will tell you that based on the circumstances, I did give my welcoming remarks and made it clear to the management members that the board of directors has no legal basis to challenge the presidency,” he told the Observer last night.

Also attending yesterday’s early afternoon meeting were Linnel McLean, Danny Beckford, Bruce Gaynor, Loraine Scringer, Rudolph Speid, Raymond Anderson and Horace Reid.

Burrell, who was expected to run for the presidency of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), was suspended by the world governing body FIFA for his reported initial lack of co-operation in the FIFA investigations in the cash-for-vote scandal that has rocked Caribbean and world football.

Responding to questions fielded by a packed room of international journalists on Friday following the FIFA Executive Committee meeting in Zurich, FIFA boss Joseph 'Sepp' Blatter was emphatic that they will not be releasing details of the reasons for the sanctions handed down on CFU officials, who attended the fateful meetings of May 10 and 11 this year.

Further, he said all persons suspended should return with full rights after serving their suspensions.

Last edited by Karl; October 24, 2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

This is a rubbish article.

The writer is insisting that Burrell was standing up for his fellow Caribbean football people when Burrell came out long time ago and said his actions were wrong and he should have co-operated with the investigators.

What Burrell did was watched as people broke the law and decided not to tell the investigators what he saw!

As the ranking FIFA disciplinary committee member there he watched ethics being flaunted and did nothing to stop it nor did he help with the investigations and thus he was complicit and just as guilty.

This article is trying to rewrite history and whitewash the wrong that Burrell did.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          This is a rubbish article.

The writer is insisting that Burrell was standing up for his fellow Caribbean football people when Burrell came out long time ago and said his actions were wrong and he should have co-operated with the investigators.

What Burrell did was watched as people broke the law and decided not to tell the investigators what he saw!

As the ranking FIFA disciplinary committee member there he watched ethics being flaunted and did nothing to stop it nor did he help with the investigations and thus he was complicit and just as guilty.

This article is trying to rewrite history and whitewash the wrong that Burrell did.
          This is where you write a rebuttal and start some meaningful debate on the national front.

Comment

Working...
          X