• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes: Ja's football not on decline

Barnes: Ja's football not on decline

BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter
    Sunday, October 16, 2011

IT has been two years since he lost the job as head coach of Jamaica's senior team, but John Barnes says he has no regrets during his tenure in charge of the local football programme.

The former England international and Liverpool and Watford striker was hired in November 2008 and lasted less than a year in the job, but as he shared with the Sunday Observer in an interview, it is not his policy to rue his choices.

BARNES... our problem in the Caribbean is the re-emergence of the Central American countries

"I have no regrets in life at all. Things haven't worked out in some situations obviously in life, generally, but it's all part of a process to get you where you are," Barnes said.

"Especially with this job it really empowered me because we did well. We never lost a game and my whole philosophy in terms of getting a group of people and giving them the right discipline and determination and spirit and they can achieve, and that's what they did," he added.

Barnes' assistant during his time in charge, Theodore Whitmore, has led the national team since June 2009 when Barnes departed.

The two now work together conducting the Digicel Kick Start Clinic, with the latest edition ending at Barbican a few days ago.

Whitmore himself has had a rocky past few months as the Reggae Boys have lost their last five games, but Barnes expressed faith in the former national player's abilities, despite the hiccups.

"We have a great relationship. I recommended him for the job when I was leaving. I said he would be fantastic and I really believe that local coaches should be given an opportunity," he said.

"I work in Africa a lot and what I say in Africa is, 'Have enough respect and belief in your own coaches to not believe that you have to employ somebody from abroad.'

"So even when I got the job (in Jamaica) I saw myself as a foreigner. The local coaches have the talent, but they need the respect of everyone outside to give them that opportunity and to stick with them."

There have been questions about whether Whitmore has been using too many overseas-based players, which Barnes also addressed.

"I went through a period where I used a lot of local players because... I didn't have a lot of time with (Ricardo Fuller). But you go for quality, you go for experience, so if you can use players who have better quality and better experience, yes, but don't forget the local players. They have got the experience and they have the potential if you empower them and you embrace them they have the potential to be as good.

"We never lost one game and people have said 'there are better players; you're picking the wrong players', but if you get a group of players you empower them and they have discipline they can be successful, and that's what I felt when coaching the Jamaican team, that's what happened."

He added: "That is how the Ricardo Fullers and the Ricardo Gardeners got to Bolton in the first place; because they played here, so you have to have the respect for them..."

Barnes, who had an equally short stint at English league side Tranmere Rovers when he left Jamaica, said the value of the local players who are then able to make it overseas makes it worthwhile to invest in them.

"We can see it now even with how well the Ricardo Fullers and so many Jamaican players now experiencing life and coming back now to help the national team, so the more opportunities, the better."

The England-born players do, however, bring the values of professionalism and discipline when they come here, Barnes stated.

"(Because) they are brought up in that environment, but in terms of raw ability, they are the same. I've always said that. However because they're brought up in a professional environment maybe the attitude (is different), but you can get that attitude anywhere."

He drew a parallel with the current success of local track and field:
    "Once upon a time these athletes felt they had to go to America to be able to compete, now they can stay at UTech and they're still winning because that's a state of mind. Attitude is a state of mind; you don't have to go abroad to get that state of mind."

With the World Cup qualifiers ahead, Barnes attempted to assess the country's hopes of getting to South America in 2014 and said contrary to popular opinion, local football isn't necessarily on the decline.

"Our problem in the Caribbean is the re-emergence of the Central American countries," he said.

"With the social changes and problems they had in the 70s and 80s, football took a back seat, but now these countries are back. These countries are stronger than Caribbean countries, so while it's harder to qualify now, we assume that Jamaican football is going backwards because in 1998 we qualified and we haven't since.

"But if you stop to look at the quality of the players and the players... in the top leagues in Europe, you'll see that Jamaican football is better. It's just that it's just much harder to qualify."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1axv6QSvP
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Interesting argument.. but we still need reinforcements.

Comment

Whitmore sets date for core selection

Whitmore sets date for core selection

Published: Sunday | October 16, 2011

Whitmore

Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer

National senior men's football coach, Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore has given June 5, 2012, as the date when he will settle on the core of Jamaica's squad for the semi-final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2014 World Cup.

Jamaica have been drawn in Group A with the United States for the North, Central America and Caribbean regional qualifiers that leads to the tournament finals in Brazil.

The US and Jamaica will be joined in the group by the winners of a preliminary group consisting of Belize, Grenada, Guatemala and St Vincent and the Grenadines, as well as another group consisting of Antigua and Barbuda, Haiti, CuraƧao and the US Virgin Islands.

Future dates
      The Jamaicans are likely to play two international friendlies before qualifiers commence - on February 29 and between June 1 and 5 - which are the next two scheduled FIFA dates.

"Hopefully, we have two FIFA dates coming up and we want to use both of them to look at players and then we will come to the final squad for World Cup qualification," Whitmore disclosed. "After the two FIFA dates, we should see a base that we are going to work going forward; that is why everybody is going to get a chance now," he added.

Whitmore has paid the price for looking at different players since the Gold Cup, which has resulted in the team losing all four international friendlies since the tournament which was played in June of this year. The defeats have come against China (1-0), Ecuador (5-2) and Colombia (2-0).

The fourth was suffered on Tuesday night when the 45th-ranked Boyz went down 2-1 to the 53rd-ranked Hondurans. Whitmore is of the view that the Jamaica team gave a good showing despite the defeat.

"It was an excellent performance overall, based on what we are looking for and what we got from the guys," Whitmore stated. "They gave a good account of themselves despite the fact that we lost the game, but it is how we lost the game and I think we are on the right track going forward," he added.

The 1998 two-goal World Cup hero is cognisant that there are a number of areas in the team that need to be strengthened, but believes that the practice matches that are being played against top-class opposition will go a far way in helping the coaching staff to identify the weaknesses.

Whitmore had his first look at possible reinforcements in the Honduras game when three English-based players - Marvin Conrad Elliot, Marcus Bean and Nathan Smith - made their debuts.

"They have played their first game for the national team, but it is still early days and we want to see them in more than one game," Whitmore expressed. "We will then do a proper assessment, because everyone who wants to play for a team will try to make an impression in their first game."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports4.html
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

With the World Cup qualifiers ahead, Barnes attempted to assess the country's hopes of getting to South America in 2014 and said contrary to popular opinion, local football isn't necessarily on the decline.

"Our problem in the Caribbean is the re-emergence of the Central American countries," he said.

"With the social changes and problems they had in the 70s and 80s, football took a back seat, but now these countries are back. These countries are stronger than Caribbean countries, so while it's harder to qualify now, we assume that Jamaican football is going backwards because in 1998 we qualified and we haven't since.

"But if you stop to look at the quality of the players and the players... in the top leagues in Europe, you'll see that Jamaican football is better. It's just that it's just much harder to qualify."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1axv6QSvP
        That's an interesting way of putting it: we haven't declined, everybody else has just gotten better than us......

Well if the Central American countries are re-emerging then our goose is cooked. No matter how much we like to beat our chests, we don't hold a candle to the passion for football that they have in Central America. Heck El Salvador and Honduras went to war in 1969 over a football match....

Comment

Working...
        X